Date: 19-05-24  Time: 16:15 pm

Poll

how often do you clutchless gearchange ?

never
6 (13.6%)
occasionally
17 (38.6%)
trackdays
0 (0%)
regularly
15 (34.1%)
all the time
6 (13.6%)
Eh ?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: clutchless gear change  (Read 7161 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: clutchless gear change
« Reply #25 on: 08 July 2013, 10:44:19 am »
For less experienced riders having the clutch is a good start! Clutchless changes can be done smoothly quickly & without any internal engine damage-but as they say "Practice makes Perfect". It also helps if you can visualise what all the various components are doing inside the motor/gearbox-encourages mechanical sympathy. No reason why you cant learn to front brake & downchange blipping the throttle simultaneously.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 July 2013, 11:13:24 am »
Its quite a good feeling when you master it, using the front brake at the same time takes a bit of getting used to. I understand why a lot of riders only use one or two fingers for braking now and why they fit shortened levers... definitely on my to-do list :D

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 July 2013, 08:51:14 am »
Had to do 200 miles without a clutch when my beemer broke down in wales - clutchless changes are easy just get the revs right and gently apply pressure on the lever till it snicks in -  its the stopping/starting without one thats the challenge!

However my preference is to use the clutch as Mr Bike Designer intended.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 July 2013, 08:54:40 am »
Had to do 200 miles without a clutch when my beemer broke down in wales - clutchless changes are easy just get the revs right and gently apply pressure on the lever till it snicks in -  its the stopping/starting without one thats the challenge!

I thought you were supposed to roll off the throttle while changing so that the gears are not under engine load ?
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

notoriusb.e.n

• CBT Wobbler
  • 2003 Fazer Foxeye
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10 July 2013, 09:00:23 am »
Yes, you want the revs to be about where they would be for a normal change (or slightly higher) and let off, then re-engage. tbh though I was a bit caveman in my approach being as it was out of necessity rather than choice.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 10 July 2013, 09:21:57 am »

I thought you were supposed to roll off the throttle while changing so that the gears are not under engine load ?

Yup, that's correct :)

Completely different technique required when coming down the box and its much more difficult

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 July 2013, 09:47:12 am »
the answer to a smooth clutchless gearchange up and down the box is to match engine speed to road speed  ;)  this is why blipping helps on down shifts.....try it going down the box by very gently pressing down on the lever whilst the revs drop on slowing down and when the speeds are matched it will just slip into gear....thats why practice helps and also getting to know the bike  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 July 2013, 10:02:57 am »
have a look at this.....

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 July 2013, 01:46:02 pm »
Useful little vid. Maybe I'll have another go :D
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 July 2013, 02:29:31 pm »
he has done a better one.
will see if i can find it.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 July 2013, 02:38:21 pm »

I found it virtually impossible until I had correctly adjusted my gear selector.  Just a light pressure upward on the gear selector,roll off the throttle, the gear will slip in and then on the throttle again.  It's a sweet feelin
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 July 2013, 02:43:42 pm »

I found it virtually impossible until I had correctly adjusted my gear selector.  Just a light pressure upward on the gear selector,roll off the throttle, the gear will slip in and then on the throttle again.  It's a sweet feelin

sure is !
have found a false neutral a couple of times though which is a bit embarrasing!  :o

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 July 2013, 02:54:40 pm »

sure is !
have found a false neutral a couple of times though which is a bit embarrasing!  :o
I've found myself using the clutch for 1-2 cos it's so clunky I only really clutchless going upward for 3,4,5 &6

Enceladus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 July 2013, 02:57:41 pm »

sure is !
I've found myself using the clutch for 1-2 cos it's so clunky I only really clutchless going upward for 3,4,5 &6
ditto.
if you have a look at the other gearchanging vids russ (roadcraft nottingham) has done, they are quite helpful as a prelude to clutchless changing.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 July 2013, 04:59:24 pm »

sure is !

Just in case; a false neutral is finding a space between two gears (that aren't 1st or 2nd) where neither is engaged

I've had this happen once on my old bike where I went to go from 5th to 6th and ended up not being in any gear at all, makes a nice crunch when you finally get it in :P

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 July 2013, 05:02:34 pm »

sure is !

Just in case; a false neutral is finding a space between two gears (that aren't 1st or 2nd) where neither is engaged

I've had this happen once on my old bike where I went to go from 5th to 6th and ended up not being in any gear at all, makes a nice crunch when you finally get it in :P
Aaah thank you.  I thought that was called missing a gear.  I found false neutrals until I adjusted the gear selector then  :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 July 2013, 05:03:30 pm »
Well it basically is missing a gear, but you are essentially in a no-mans land for gears :P

Bluecray

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda NC700
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 July 2013, 06:19:49 pm »
...on the topic of "smooth" changes, how about "blipping" on downshifts?  I've tried it a few times but can never get it right, I'm sure the missus would appreciate it though.

I always do it makes it so smooth …………………

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 July 2013, 06:21:48 pm »
I always use the clutch for 1 to 2 and sometimes 2 to 3 depending on the situation and always use it for coming down the gears again, been trying the blip the throttle on the downshifts while braking, getting there but it's not easy! haha.

I find the clutchless upshifts are really easy to get super smooth and as the others have said it's nicer for pillions, plus there's less helmet banging.. ooer! haha!  :lol

As for it damaging the gearbox then only if you're crunching it and not being smooth, light pressure on the gear lever, back off the throttle and it slips in no problem..  :o   :lol

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.