Date: 28-04-24  Time: 02:35 am

Author Topic: Fazer Coolant fan  (Read 2455 times)

fergysteven

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
Fazer Coolant fan
« on: 03 August 2013, 12:09:59 pm »
Hi ive just bought a Fazer 600 and it doesn't have a coolant fan is this normal or do I need to get one asap
Thanks fergysteven

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fazer Coolant fan
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2013, 12:15:15 pm »
Well it should be behind the radiator but if it isn't there then I honestly wouldn't worry too much. The fan coming on is such a rare occurrence that most owners don't realise it has one :lol

You are only likely to trigger it on a hot day in lots of stop start traffic after a long blast...

I haven't had a fan on mine for the past 8 months (slight accident with some fire...) and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2013, 01:05:27 pm »
I haven't had a fan on mine for the past 8 months (slight accident with some fire...) and it doesn't seem to have caused any issues

The two aren't linked, I might add!!
The Deef's apprentice

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2013, 01:40:44 pm »
Well... they are...

The radiator came from my previous bike which was involved in a garage fire which sort of melted the fan... the radiator being metal was fine and in better nick than the one on the second (my current) bike :P

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2013, 01:56:54 pm »
Well it should be behind the radiator but if it isn't there then I honestly wouldn't worry too much. The fan coming on is such a rare occurrence that most owners don't realise it has one :lol

You are only likely to trigger it on a hot day in lots of stop start traffic after a long blast...

"....slight accident with some fire...."

That's like saying "I fell over......a cliff" :lol
« Last Edit: 03 August 2013, 01:57:25 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Earache

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2013, 05:19:18 pm »
I live in Spain and even if we have the ++30c summer i have heard the fan come on 2 times, the second time was just a idle test in my parking place after fixing a slight coolant leak from one hose, it was frustrating to wait 15min(after a long ride) for the fan to finally come on! But i prefer it this way, my ex- VFR800 was running the fan all the time even in the winter(and leaking coolant from under the rad cap until the bloody fan stopped coming on due to loss of coolant) what a crap bike it was....

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2013, 05:24:57 pm »
I live in Spain and even if we have the ++30c summer i have heard the fan come on 2 times, the second time was just a idle test in my parking place after fixing a slight coolant leak from one hose, it was frustrating to wait 15min(after a long ride) for the fan to finally come on! But i prefer it this way, my ex- VFR800 was running the fan all the time even in the winter(and leaking coolant from under the rad cap until the bloody fan stopped coming on due to loss of coolant) what a crap bike it was....

If it was chucking out coolant with the fan constantly turning on then i'd guess your cooling system was clogged up!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2013, 10:24:34 pm »

"....slight accident with some fire...."

That's like saying "I fell over......a cliff" :lol

Haha, definitely made me laugh, thanks darrsi ^^

:lol :lol :lol

Earache

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2013, 10:28:10 pm »

If it was chucking out coolant with the fan constantly turning on then i'd guess your cooling system was clogged up!

Hi darssi!
the coolant system was completely flushed and new coolant + rad cap and still it kept doing it. Head gasket was ok. Its the "benefits" of side mounted radiators, they run hot immediately once you are in city traffic. seems to affect VTR1000's too. Being a big honda fan since the 80's i was really disappointed with the bad quality(reliability issues), slowness and high fuel consumption of the vfr800, i have owned 2 cbr600, cbr 900RR(super fun!), cbr1100xx,vfr750, vf500  and few Suzuki's and one Kawasaki..
I did lot's of searching before deciding to buy the Fazer, it's a budget VFR but in many ways much better! Down sides are horrific idle sound of the engine(mine has done only 24.000km=15.000 miles) compared to a honda and the cluncky gearbox.
I have managed to get 4L/100km= 56mpg and the relatively torquey 600cc engine is great, excellent bike for little money!
« Last Edit: 03 August 2013, 10:41:50 pm by Earache »

fergysteven

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - main
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2013, 11:32:01 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies think I'll invest in a fan anyway just for peace of mind
Fergysteven