Date: 21-05-24  Time: 01:37 am

Author Topic: Horn Upgrade  (Read 1542 times)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Horn Upgrade
« on: 24 February 2015, 09:12:31 am »
Any suggestions on what type of horn upgrade is best suited for my might Fazer Thou.......preferably one I can do a straight forward swap over replacement with

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Re: Horn Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2015, 09:55:58 am »
I put a Stebel Nautilus on my FZS600. Bit of a squeeze, but may also fit the Thou as well. Some photos and stuff on my blog here:-

http://www.beginnerbiker.com/2014/09/honk-honk-stebel-nautilus-air-horn-installation-review/

I believe you can also split the horn into two halves, which have an air pipe connecting them. This can help mounting too.

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2015, 11:27:31 am »
I have the cheapo £10 twin snail horns on fleaBay and they are pretty loud, definitely miles better than standard. But with any upgrade you get best results by fitting a relay. It supplies more current to the horn and stops the risk of burning out the contacts in your horn button.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2015, 02:33:05 pm »
I have one of those stebel nautilus horns in the shed to try and fit it to my thou. It definately is not a bolt-on solution and will need a bracket fabricating (in the standard position it will foul the fender under heavy braking i think).

if that doesnt work ill be going to dual horns as shown in this guide:

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/dualhorninstallation.html

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2015, 04:37:15 pm »
Hi guys,

Had plenty of Stebel Nautilus in my time as I always fit them to my bikes. Got one on the Blackbird, had one on my son's FZ6, and my daughter has one on her FZS600.

The one I have on my old CBRThou recently packed up and seeing as it's my winter hack took a chance on a cheap Stebel copy. Bought this off ebay and I can confirm it is just as loud as the original stebel but is a fraction of the price. So far i'm well impressed but it's only been on there about 2 weeks.

It took 11 days to arrive but a mate order one and it took a month. Link below :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/136db-Snail-Air-Horn-Black-For-Auto-Truck-Motorcycle-Yacht-Boat-JEEP-SUV-12V-/281404833586?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item418508ff32#ht_2710wt_958

P.S. As stated above, you can split the compressor and horn to ease fitting and then run a length of hose between them with a 10mm outside diameter. I've had to do this with all the above bikes.

I helped a friend mount one on his FZ1. He put the horn under the right fairing infill (that black thing with slotted vents) and we mounted the compressor upright under the seat behing the shock. He'd already remove something from there though as I recall. Exup motor maybe??? I can't remember tbh.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2015, 04:41:31 pm by SteveCardiff »