Date: 17-05-24  Time: 14:23 pm

Author Topic: Thinking of going naked  (Read 1262 times)

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Thinking of going naked
« on: 07 August 2015, 02:25:44 pm »
Hi all,

After doing bits and bobs on the bike recently and trying to iron out all the kinks and strange noises I am starting to think that alot of the issues with the vibration and weird feeling is down to the front fairing vibrating/resonating and certain revs.
I took the front to bits earlier and took it for a test ride outside my work and normally once at about 5+k rpm it feels strange and vibey and feels like I have to change up to keep it out of that patch, after removing the fairing and lights it didnt feel like that at all and pushed it up to about 10krpm in first, which you probably shouldnt do but its almost the first time i have felt like i could.
I put the headlight unit back in without the fairing and rode it again and it was still fine, I have put the fairing back on now but ran out of time so will have to try it on the ride home.
One thing i thought was that due to the bike having a few dash mods that this could maybe cause the wiring loom to become fatter and making the fairing not sit right? although I am seriously considering removing the temp gauge and the analogue clock as I dont really need them and they not sure i like the look of them anyway.
Guess what i was asking about was should the worst happen and that annoying vibe is still there, whats the best way to go about replacing the lights and is there much work involved?
I have seen a few headlight setups on ebay, although I only ride at day and finish work at 4:30pm so its only just getting dark at night even at winter, so not fussed if the replacements are similar in power to the standard ones (think someone mentioned this about dominators??)
Wasnt sure how people mount the clocks and indicators??

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of going naked
« Reply #1 on: 07 August 2015, 02:35:30 pm »
One thing I noticed ages ago was the front fairing plastic screen vibrating.
Bit of soft sided Velcro sorted that out.
Think I put some under the infill panels too.

Indicators can vibrate on the fairing as well.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 August 2015, 02:39:01 pm »
I will double check the indicators later, although i did put some thin foam padding behind the screen a while back.
there is a slight crack where the indicator connects on the right side so maybe this has something to do with it? maybe it was dropped before i had it?
It really did feel like a different bike earlier when the front was off, i mean with out the vibrations.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 August 2015, 04:28:19 pm »
Glass in wing mirrors can also buzz.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2015, 08:40:09 am »
Well the vibration came back on the way home, tried holding different bits trying to locate it but still not having any luck?
Don't know if the nose cone just amplifying the noises and just resonating off that? Might strip it down again today and have another look.
Did look last night on eBay for headlight mods and things? Although not sure how big a job it would be to switch over to naked.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2015, 10:51:50 am »
I have a buzzing but can only hear it when the bike is not moving at about 3-4k revs  and have tried touching different parts but cant find it, although im not that bothered as I cant hear it when riding - helmet on, earplugs in - wind blast and the needle doesn't spend long at 3-4k   ;)   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2015, 12:19:51 pm »
I have a buzzing but can only hear it when the bike is not moving at about 3-4k revs  and have tried touching different parts but cant find it, although im not that bothered as I cant hear it when riding - helmet on, earplugs in - wind blast and the needle doesn't spend long at 3-4k   ;)

Probably the change in your pocket.  :lol

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2015, 02:33:46 pm »
Still no luck locating the vibration??!
I had the whole from off saturday and checked everything over and removed a few bits of after market wiring and things that had been fitted to the bike that looked a bit rubbish and i dont use.
After riding it to work this morning the vibration is still there? i checked the mirrors for vibes and doesnt seem to come from there and also tried to check indicators while riding but they seem ok also? there is still some extra wiring in the look around the lights that might be catching on the fairing and causing it, but just seems odd how different the bike feels when its got the front fairing off??
The front fairing is in pretty good condition and only has one minor crack on it, where the indicator stalk passes through, ive tried to glue this to see if it helps but still nothing?
Maybe like ive said before, its just the nose cone amplifying the noise and its there all the time , it just seems a lot worse than the normal fazer vibe.