Date: 29-03-24  Time: 07:32 am

Author Topic: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1  (Read 38611 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: TFT Dash for the Fazer 1000 / FZ1
« Reply #150 on: 22 January 2021, 12:16:07 pm »
This is extremely cool and very usefull fella, am currious as to what map/nav data you use. What is the screen like in direct sunlight, I assume its a generic TFT TN panel..?

Apologies if this has been asked before, but how logistically complicated/costly (pandemic aside) would it be to get a TFT made in the shape of the original clocks..? or if possible use multiple circular displays, inside the original instrument housing..?
« Last Edit: 22 January 2021, 12:33:20 pm by b1k3rdude »

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 22 January 2021, 05:48:06 pm »
Many thanks! With regards to the Map Data, it depends on the smartphone you will use. At the moment the iPhone app uses the Apple Maps service to get the directions and routing info, and as you travel along it will pass each step to the TFT Dash over the Bluetooth LE connection. If you're on an Android phone this will use the Google Maps service.

It is a TFT TN panel that is used, in direct sunlight it works well if you use one of the high contrast themes - e.g. White on Black or vice versa.

To get the original design working in the shape of the original clocks would probably require a smaller screen, and a redesigned enclosure and a rework of where all the internal components would fit. Have got a 5 inch version on the Horizon and this seems to be what other Manufacturers are going with in terms of screen size. Have thought about multiple circular displays but the complicated bit is then getting the Raspberry Pi to connect to multiple displays etc.. I'm sure it's possible but would a bit of R&D required.

Hope that helps!

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 22 January 2021, 10:22:22 pm »
Have thought about multiple circular displays but the complicated bit is then getting the Raspberry Pi to connect to multiple displays etc.. I'm sure it's possible but would a bit of R&D required.
Yeah I did wonder after I asked, how you would connect to display so the Pi, one over hdmi and the second via breakout board from the GPIO? that assuming the Arduino isn't using already.

vivfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 23 January 2021, 05:33:47 pm »
Hi,
I'm really impressed with the dash, would be very interested when you start selling them.
Cheers.

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 24 January 2021, 07:47:24 am »
Hi,
I'm really impressed with the dash, would be very interested when you start selling them.
Cheers.

He is already selling them. Check out hes website

https://www.tftdashproject.co.uk/

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 02 February 2021, 03:47:17 pm »

Many thanks! With regards to the Map Data, it depends on the smartphone you will use. At the moment the iPhone app uses the Apple Maps service to get the directions and routing info, and as you travel along it will pass each step to the TFT Dash over the Bluetooth LE connection. If you're on an Android phone this will use the Google Maps service.
Hi, I just got the notification for the dash software update with navigation, and boy am I excited!

Looking at the upgrade info on your site, it says iPhone users need to download a TFT Nav app from App Store. Is the Android version available, or is it on the way? I couldn't find anything by that name in the Google Play Store.

Thanks!

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 03 February 2021, 09:11:44 am »
I've uploaded the update and the Nav App. As usual, great bit of kit. Looking forward to using the extra function. Whats next Danny?

FirstYamTwm

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - RF900RV+CB400SF
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 10 February 2021, 11:29:25 am »
What's the progress on the android version for the GPS function?  Cant find anything on play store.

crankcase

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 16 June 2021, 03:00:38 pm »
What's the progress on the android version for the GPS function?  Cant find anything on play store.
I emailed Danny asking about the Android app, he said it's in the works and he hopes to have it out by July <fingers crossed>

FirstYamTwm

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - RF900RV+CB400SF
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 17 June 2021, 08:49:27 pm »
Thank you Crankcase

FirstYamTwm

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - RF900RV+CB400SF
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 15 July 2021, 11:47:58 pm »
Any news on the Android version, thanks

FirstYamTwm

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - RF900RV+CB400SF
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 23 September 2021, 04:52:13 pm »
Any news yet on the Android version, Thanks?

Woodzey80

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 23 September 2021, 06:42:35 pm »
I've emailed Danny over a few issues with my dash & had no reply as of yet. I just hope he's well & still offering support to customers.

FirstYamTwm

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - RF900RV+CB400SF
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 15 October 2021, 10:00:35 pm »
Mid October, any news on the android version yet?

Chris 50+

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 17 October 2021, 10:24:49 pm »
That's very, very nice

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 16 January 2022, 09:17:40 am »
He was last active on 16th of november. I will be interested in the android version aswell

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 09 February 2022, 06:36:56 pm »
*** LONG AWAITED UPDATE *** Apologies for the now silly lengths of time that go by when I now update you guys on here. I'm very much alive but just stupid busy at times! Support is always available for TFT Dash owners so any issues you have just let me know and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP. So...whats new...I'll start with the obvious...

** ANDROID NAVIGATION APP UPDATE **
This IS very much in progress (really!) - Much happened last year which took my focus off of the TFT Dash Project for some time regarding new development so the Android development stalled for a bit (moved house twice! New job role, etc...) - getting settled now so I'm able to pick up the code I was working on and I'm aiming to get this out to you guys soon. Another reason for the delay on this is I'm not actually a native Android developer (iPhone yes, everything else...yes) - So there's been a bit of a learning curve on getting up to speed with Android development (first and foremost was to get myself an Android phone!) - I have one of these now and it's purely used for the development of the TFT Nav app for Android. As for the latest progress, the Navigation is working nicely - it uses the Google Maps service for Navigation & Directions (the iPhone version uses Apple Maps). The next bit of development is to get the Bluetooth communication working as it does with the iPhone app and then we're pretty much there! Next is navigating my way around the Google play store and getting it published there so guys can download it.

** TFT Dash Orders **

Still accepting and fulfilling orders to the best of my ability. There have been some challenges in recent months mainly due to the availability of parts which surprised me. 7 inch TFT Displays are becoming something of a rarity it seems these days, and increasingly difficult to attain - what I've been doing is looking at other gadgets which I know use the same display, ripping these apart and using them to build the TFT Dash units.

Another essential part which is now almost impossible to obtain is the Raspberry Pi Model 3B+! This really surprised me as I'd thought these would be continued to be made for years to come! The Raspberry Pi 4 is now out which is quite a bit more expensive than the 3 so I'll have to get one of these and see how well it works with the existing OS I modified for the 3B+

One important update is I'm sure you're aware there is a worldwide Microchip shortage at present - this has affected me in the sense that I'm no longer able to get hold of the ATMega32u4 chips easily (Last update from RS Components was they were due to get a shipment in 2023!!) What this has meant for orders is that I've reverted to supplying the Generation 3 TFT Dash units whenever an order is received (The one with the replaceable CR2032 battery). I've made a few fixes to the Gen 3 unit as a result as I know a few of you were getting battery life issues, but at present any future orders that come in will be shipped with a Gen 3 (Upgraded) Unit whereby I've upgraded the casing to make it easier to get into should you wish / need, and the Clock module has been modified so it no longer drains the battery like mad like it did in very early units.

** OTHER STUFF **

You might have seen on my YouTube channel I had a Ninja 1000SX 2020 model for a short time. I've now sold this and replaced it with a 2000 Honda VTR1000 as my second bike. (My Fazer 1000 always sits pride of place in my garage and I'm never selling this!). Interestingly what I found with the Ninja 1000SX is that it felt and rode very much like my Fazer 1000. Sure it had some nice new tech (TFT Dash!, Quick shifter, Cruise Control, etc...) but my overall enjoyment of riding the thing wasn't any better than the Fazer 1000 - my Fazer actually feels way better to ride - and not to be biased....but probably am....the TFT Dash on my Fazer is way better  ;)  Kawasaki have some catching up to do!

That's pretty much it - any queries or questions do let me know. There will be a software update coming out soon for the TFT Dash as I've discovered on later units (surprisingly) the Arduino chips that are shipped lately have some issues dealing with numbers greater than 32000 so I'll be releasing an update to address this as well as keeping you updated on the Android Navigation App progress. Other stuff I've got planned for future development are things like:

0-60 Timer! This was suggested by a customer which I think would be a cool feature
Service Reminders! (Going into BMW world now - but basically when you're due your next Oil change / Spark plug change / Air filter change / Valve clearance inspection, etc...)
Compatibility with more Tyre pressure readers (Currently only support a couple but there are others out there which need supporting).
If you have any ideas or suggestions do let me know - I will always take them onboard when developing future updates.

As always any queries feel free to let me know
Best Regards,
Danny.

Stainy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 15 February 2022, 09:47:44 am »
It doesn't sound like you need to complicate matters with another project, but some of us Gen2 riders are still interested.

But the main reason for replying is to wonder if you've considered the Raspberry Pi Zero 2? Onboard memory might be an issue, but it's got the same cpu as the 3, so actual processing is quick and the unit is miniscule, even compared to the 3 (I know, as I have one)......just a thought

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 07 April 2022, 09:32:13 pm »
It doesn't sound like you need to complicate matters with another project, but some of us Gen2 riders are still interested.

But the main reason for replying is to wonder if you've considered the Raspberry Pi Zero 2? Onboard memory might be an issue, but it's got the same cpu as the 3, so actual processing is quick and the unit is miniscule, even compared to the 3 (I know, as I have one)......just a thought

Many thanks for the suggestion of the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 - I've got one in my possession at the moment and am experimenting with it before I can offer it as a solution - Will be ensuring it can run the OS / TFT Dash software with the same performance I've seen from the 2/3 but it looks promising! The only draw back it has is sthe lack of USB Ports on this version, the TFT Dash setup needs 2 USB ports - 1 for connection to the Arduino for the bike interface and another for Software Updates and/or TPMS. Although nothing a small USB hub couldn't sort out - but I'll experiment...

Duckmang

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 23 April 2022, 09:20:46 pm »
I have the multigauge installed but REALLY like this project!  Reading through the thread one thing that jumped out at me was the mention of changing the display for other models.  It's common for aftermarket radios to have different patch harnesses to allow them to be plug and play for lots of common vehicles.  The same idea seems like it would meld well with a project of this nature.  The basic display hardware stays the same, the inputs are corrected to the proper pins with a patch harness, and the any application specific signal conditioning gets handled in the software.  With a project this cool there would be significant demand across the motorcycling community.  It would be great if your efforts were rewarded with succe$$ meeting that demand.

DJDLTD

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX6R 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 21 September 2022, 08:25:59 am »
Hey all,

THE WAIT IS FINALLY OVER! The Navigation app for Android has finally been completed and is available to download now! Thank you again for your patience whilst I worked to get the Android version of the Navigation app developed. This is a version 1, and is currently awaiting review by Google so it will soon be available on the Google Play store by the name 'TFT Navigation'.

However for those of you who can't wait, you can get it on your Android phone now by downloading the APK from:

https://www.tftdashproject.co.uk/softwareupdates/tftnavigation.apk.zip

There are a few hoops to jump through to get it installed on your phone as it's not yet coming direct from Google Play, but if you run into any issues or are not familiar with downloading APK's directly to your device drop me a line and I'll give you some tips to get it installed.

Thank you so much again for your patience!

Any further info & for ordering information you can head to:

https://www.tftdashproject.co.uk
« Last Edit: 21 September 2022, 08:27:17 am by DJDLTD »