Date: 16-05-24  Time: 06:18 am

Author Topic: Fuel pouring out from carb outflow hose(s) and running real bad.  (Read 1983 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
So I ride about 120 miles up to glencoe and the bike is fine and gets a good blast, I top up the tank for return journey, mpg is fine, on way back we pull in for a quick break and I smell petrol then notice fuel pouring out from the hoses underneath the bike, bike runs but gets progressively worse and vibration felt through pegs with dash sometimes vibrating also,example overtaking in 3rd is a lull, then picks up until mid rev range lull again before apparently then going full power at high revs like a v-tec kicking in on my old type-r Honda car, so I get home eventually by skin of my teeth and use a full tank of fuel in 100 miles, half generously donated to the ozone,the carb floats and seals have already been replaced by Yamaha after it did similar in my dads garage, I wonder if anyone has suffered the same, could it be the floats again or could it be simply a bit of dirt got in from the tank etc, it's not like it happened straight after sitting in garage for a while as it ran fine all the way up and it got a good thrashing.its in the yam dealers again so I'll see what they come up with and post result.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pouring out from carb outflow hose(s) and running real bad.
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2012, 04:36:57 pm »
Was the fuel coming out from the crab overflows, the pump or the tank breather?
Later

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2012, 06:09:44 pm »
Alas they think they've solved it, mechanic asked me to go down take a look,found some tiny particles of metal that have been bouncing about,looks like they've come from imperfections with the casting marks on top face of one of the carbs,one of the pieces suspiciously had taken the shape of the hole that the needle goes into as if it had been sucked in and blocked it,they gonna rebuild the bike and see what happens, the mechanic wasn't saying it as if it was anything he had often seen, bit of a strange one indeed.fingers crossed.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2012, 10:11:53 pm »
To put this one to bed I've got the bike back with a completely different set of carbs donated by the dealer from one of their bikes, they built the bike up after finding the metal fragments and number 3 carb was still peeing out fuel and they don't know why, mechanic reckons it'll be easier for them to just buy another set as they are spending so much time on them but I reckon he'll fiddle about a bit more with them, but I'm happy with my new balanced set and the bike is running mighty fine, result!

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2012, 12:25:34 am »
I experienced exactly the same problem when i purchased my extremely mistreated fazer, might want to inspect the fuel tank for rust. I had to reline my tank using petrol tank sealant as sediment would break away from inside the tank and clog up the carbs.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2012, 07:19:04 pm »
I asked the mechanic about the tank and he reckoned he checked it and it was fine

So I got a free tank check also!,treating myself!

To be honest the whole rusty fuel tank thing does my head in, I had never imagined in the modern age that something would be so unfit for purpose and they cost about 700 quid to replace new,

To be fair though I've seen a bit of discussion here saying that it's the crap quality of the fuel that's responsible

DarthFazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2012, 10:05:31 pm »
glad you got it sorted, it nearly drove me to insanity before i finally got mine fixed! If you ever do decide to reline your tank as a safety measure dont use petseal, use  por 15 us standard tank sealer, great stuff.