ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
air con
« on: 27 November 2013, 04:07:23 pm »
Whilst I'm removing the bumper on my car to clean the turbo aircooler I thought I would check the air con clutch system as the air con absent worked on my car for ages even thou it's been recharged, the clutch did the click sound as if engaging so I know that works.
My point is can I bypass the in car on off switch directly to the air con clutch to get it working again??  it's a Renault scenic

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: air con
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2013, 07:45:37 pm »
If it's been recharged and the clutch is pulling in, then you won't achieve anything by bypassing the switch.  If the compressor is turning but you're getting no cold air (although why you would want cold air in November I've no idea) either the compressor is buggered and isn't compressing or the system is working but the flap valves have jammed.  Modern climate control systems work by adjusting flap valves so the air from outside is either routed through the heater matrix, though the air con evaporator unit or a mix of both.  If you apply permanent power to the compressor clutch so it is in all the time, you can check if it is compressing by feeling the pipes going to it with the engine running, one will get hot and the other will get very cold.

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 November 2013, 09:07:28 am »
Sorry didn't make myself clearer the in car switch when turned on dissent make the clutch work even thou lit up to say it's on but if you put 12v across the compressor terminals the clutch engages so if I put 12v straight to the compressor via another switch will it work? 

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2013, 12:21:45 pm »
it sounds more like you have a gas leak, even though you say it was recharged, the control for the switch that will engage the clutch is from a pressure sensor that ensures the compressor doesnt run without gas in it.
it could of course be a faulty pressure switch.