Date: 28-03-24  Time: 15:58 pm

Poll

What would you do with this plugged tire?

Continue to use it till worn out.
5 (41.7%)
Get it repaired from inside by a tire fitter.
4 (33.3%)
Scrap it and be thankful it got me home.
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: 18 July 2016, 11:46:06 am

Author Topic: Plugged tire?  (Read 4769 times)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Plugged tire?
« on: 11 July 2016, 11:46:06 am »
This tire is a Dunlop PR3 on a FZS600 and has been repaired from the outside using a "Stop & Go" tool and mushroom headed plug.
Since repair it has already survived about 900 miles loaded up with full camping equipment and got me back from France.
At the most worn part still got 4mm of tread from the original 6mm.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Plugged tire?
« Reply #1 on: 11 July 2016, 12:36:18 pm »
So the tyre has about 50% life left....say 4000 miles of wondering and uncertainties to save £50 worth of trye or replace for about £100 and enjoy with no nagging doubts.
One thing not to skimp on is tyres on a bike....lost skin hurts!

Bretty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 July 2016, 01:42:39 pm »
I would change it because the insert is no longer flush with the outside of the tyre and because of the uneven wear around it.

I have no concerns about riding on a well repaired tyre, and would keep an eye on it, but in this case it's clearly created a point of weakness that isn't getting any better.

I'm not sure what an insurance company would say if you were to have an off as a result of this tyre failing?

If you're tight (like me) maybe discuss with your nearest tyre centre the option or re-repairing it?!
-suck-squeeze-bang-blow-

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2016, 01:45:41 pm »

It's a tricky choice. I hate chucking anything away if there's life left in it. If you're going to ride sedately it'd probably be OK and only worth getting re-plugged professionally if it develops a slow leak.
On the other hand, if you thrash the tyre with hard cornering and maximum acceleration whenever possible then I'd be too concerned about internal structural damage to the carcass.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2016, 02:25:51 pm »
So the tyre has about 50% life left....say 4000 miles of wondering and uncertainties to save £50 worth of trye or replace for about £100 and enjoy with no nagging doubts.
:agree When you put it in terms of trying to save £50 worth of tyre, its a no brainer to get a new one.
I see the plug has also deformed the tread.
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2016, 02:33:18 pm »
I've done track days on self repaired tyres- they're fine!
Some say...

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2016, 03:00:53 pm »
I use the string plugs. I mainly do city riding and I seem to pick up a screw in the rear tyre every few months. Plug it, pump it up and you're on your way in 5 minutes. They work fine but it's up to you.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2016, 03:16:49 pm »
that's a big hole and not properly plugged up.

I would replace the tyre.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2016, 05:03:27 pm »
As voted I would get it re plugged from the inside by a reputable tyre fitter, if they are not happy and recommend replacing then replace.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2016, 05:16:10 pm »
As voted I would get it re plugged from the inside by a reputable tyre fitter, if they are not happy and recommend replacing then replace.

They're not gonna be happy, with the prospect of the sale of a new tyre!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2016, 05:30:03 pm »

Depends how often you buy tyres from them,I had exact same scenario. Plugged it myself did 500miles on it and took it to the garage that normally fit my tyres. He happily replugged it for me stating that the stop n go are fine temporary but a proper mushroom plug would see the tyre Thru. Never had a problem 3k later

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2016, 05:33:36 pm »
Actually I think the kit I used was called rep air n go

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2016, 11:22:22 pm »
Logic says replace the tyre, economy says get it repaired by a proper repair shop, mushroom fitted and glued in place from inside out. it will last the life of the tyre. Ask yourself this, you get a new tyre and 20 miles down the road you get another puncture do you turn round and go and get another new tyre?

MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2016, 11:49:48 pm »
I would change it because the insert is no longer flush with the outside of the tyre and because of the uneven wear around it.

I have no concerns about riding on a well repaired tyre, and would keep an eye on it, but in this case it's clearly created a point of weakness that isn't getting any better.

I'm not sure what an insurance company would say if you were to have an off as a result of this tyre failing?

If you're tight (like me) maybe discuss with your nearest tyre centre the option or re-repairing it?!

re plug it if worried :)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2016, 11:58:42 pm »

I wonder if the profit they make is the same - how much do they make on a tyre considering that to plug still involves taking off the tyre and then putting back on just like with a new one.   
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 July 2016, 10:18:30 pm »
I think you must have read my mind on this Mr Turpin.
Interesting to see what others think about the subject and I guess each makes their own choice.
For me it was always there in my mind that the tire could go at any time, so for peace of mind while riding it has now been replaced.  I was more concerned about damage to the structure of the tire than the plug coming out. I was impressed that the "Stop & Go" plug got me going again and did it's job for 900 miles to get me home, but not very happy in having to make a small screw hole bigger to fit the plug.
I'll never know if it would have lasted the life of the tire but I can now enjoy riding with a clear mind again.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 July 2016, 11:07:42 pm »
Should we say 'great minds think alike'!!!??

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 July 2016, 12:58:23 am »
Interesting to see what others think about the subject and I guess each makes their own choice.
For me it was always there in my mind that the tire could go at any time, so for peace of mind while riding it has now been replaced.  I was more concerned about damage to the structure of the tire than the plug coming out. I was impressed that the "Stop & Go" plug got me going again and did it's job for 900 miles to get me home, but not very happy in having to make a small screw hole bigger to fit the plug.
I'll never know if it would have lasted the life of the tire but I can now enjoy riding with a clear mind again.
With out going back through the thread I assume you have opted for a new tyre? what will you do if you get another puncture? replace it again ?
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 July 2016, 07:32:35 am »
With out going back through the thread I assume you have opted for a new tyre? what will you do if you get another puncture? replace it again ?

For me, the maths changes on a new tyre and I think I would get an expert opinion on a new tyre against a repair. Naturally the older (and more worn) the tyre the more it makes sense to replace it.

D

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 July 2016, 08:59:14 am »
Yes a new tyre. In fact I already had a new tire on another wheel at home which probably effected my decision to not get the tyre replaced while in France. Again I find myself agreeing with dickturpin, the cost of having the tyre inspected and properly repaired from the inside becomes more acceptable with a less worn tyre. Not sure how that would play on my mind when riding. In my younger days maybe not at all, but now I think it might.
Just for interest the old tyre has done approx 4,500 miles, 900 with the plug in.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 July 2016, 12:15:49 pm »
I voted to get it repaired and keep using it. But then I'm Scottish :)

If it's repaired correctly it'll last the life of the tyre.
Years ago I had the same situation, plugged to get home but lasted ages after that before I went to get it repaired, never played on my mind with temp plug or after repair, was happy with it :)
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 July 2016, 02:59:51 pm »
I can't see how a plug in the tread area could cause the tyre structure to become dangerously unstable.  Even if poorly fitted it would surely only result in a slow puncture.   

On the other hand it could get spat from the tyre and blind a blue fazer rider trailing behind  ;)

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 July 2016, 06:15:45 pm »

I can't see how a plug in the tread area could cause the tyre structure to become dangerously unstable.
It's not the plug, it's the initial damage plus that done by filing the hole bigger to get the plug in: some of the internal cords that give the tyre its strength may well have been broken.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 July 2016, 06:29:58 pm »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 July 2016, 01:51:19 am »
 :agree   Works a treat and no filing of hole required  ;)