Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:51 am

Author Topic: she wont start, added it hear as not enough read the Fazer 8 page  (Read 2481 times)

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
pulled the Fazer out of the garage this afternoon for the first time in a couple of weeks, been on the Optimate, just refused to start, abs light and emu light stayed on and after a couple of seconds cranking the emu light started flashing, was perfect before it went away last time, only thing done is to fit exhaust hanger and adjust gear lever for new pegs, any ideas ??
I did leave my u lock in the back wheel when I tried to wheel it out of garage but no apparent damage done, checked electrics as best I could but nothing obvious, main fuse was OK if a bit grubby.
any ideas
« Last Edit: 10 July 2016, 07:39:00 pm by MB61YAM »

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Re: she wont start, added it hear as not enough read the Fazer 8 page
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2016, 07:37:12 pm »
pulled the Fazer out of the garage this afternoon for the first time in a couple of weeks, been on the Optimate, just refused to start, abs light and emu light stayed on and after a couple of seconds cranking the emu light started flashing, was perfect before it went away last time, only thing done is to fit exhaust hanger and adjust gear lever for new pegs, any ideas ??
I did leave my u lock in the back wheel when I tried to wheel it out of garage but no apparent damage done, checked electrics as best I could but nothing obvious, main fuse was OK if a bit grubby.
any ideas
« Last Edit: 10 July 2016, 07:39:35 pm by MB61YAM »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2016, 09:34:51 pm »
Not familiar with your bike, but could you have damaged the abs sensor with the U lock. Just a thought.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 July 2016, 07:40:24 am »
Check the usual suspects,  side stand switch,,
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2016, 08:45:54 am »
If it is cranking over, it may just be a weak battery. I have had the same on my bike before where it cranks and cranks but doesn't fire. Quick bump, or jump, start and it fires up immediately.
Mine was caused by the optimate lead being damaged giving the impression it was charging but wasn't.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

flakey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2016, 07:05:26 pm »
could it be low on engine oil? while that may sound daft-my brother couldnt get his car to start and that was cranking and cranking, turned out theres a safety device on the oil level so when low it wont start to stop you doing damage to the engine, just my 2 pence worth. hope you solve it

kill switch been accidently flicked on?
side stand switch not returning properly?

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 July 2016, 08:16:54 pm »
I thought that but it has a steel plate over with no sign of damage, thanks for reply

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2016, 08:19:36 pm »
It cranked fine and lead to optimate seems ok, ECU light was flashing which is supposed code for fuel injection issues, going to docs tomorrow, due a service anyway,will post an update

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 July 2016, 10:46:00 pm »
It cranked fine and lead to optimate seems ok, ECU light was flashing which is supposed code for fuel injection issues, going to docs tomorrow, due a service anyway,will post an update

When the starter cranks, due to current draw, the voltage drops. If the battery is knackered (regardless of being tendered) the voltage can drop so low, that the MIL illuminates (because low voltage prevents all of the emissions control systems from functioning properly), if the injector solenoids cannot be energised properly (less than 9v) it definitely won't fire up. Your battery is probably shot.

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2016, 07:08:53 am »

When the starter cranks, due to current draw, the voltage drops. If the battery is knackered (regardless of being tendered) the voltage can drop so low, that the MIL illuminates (because low voltage prevents all of the emissions control systems from functioning properly), if the injector solenoids cannot be energised properly (less than 9v) it definitely won't fire up. Your battery is probably shot.

Thanks for the reply, I suspect you might be right, I hadnt considered the battery, it has been on the Optimate for a couple of weeks which shows it as being charged and in the green, it does though appear to be the origanal battery which will be almost 5 years old and with the bike having done under 6000 miles its a good place to start.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: 12 July 2016, 08:19:49 am »
Try jump or bump starting it. Mine cranked over OK but wouldn't fire. As mentioned above, the voltage can become too low for the ECU to get the ignition sparking.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 July 2016, 03:45:35 pm »
I had this (similar) problem in Spring 2015 when I put the bike (FZ1S Gen 2) back on the road after the Winter layoff. The bike would start fine but the Engine Management light would stay on. Fitted a new battery and all sorted.
« Last Edit: 12 July 2016, 03:46:24 pm by Grayo »
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

MB61YAM

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2016, 03:28:40 pm »
turns out it was just faulty and furry connections to the injection solenoids, first owner ( 2 years ) had regular maintenance, second owner didn't, hey ho