Date: 27-04-24  Time: 08:04 am

Author Topic: CBR600F or FZS600?  (Read 6842 times)

TommyTheGun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
CBR600F or FZS600?
« on: 15 June 2012, 04:43:51 pm »
My mates thinking of selling on his 02 fzs600s and getting a CBR600F.  Just wondering has anyone here had a CBR600F or still have one, and if so how do the 2 bikes measure up?

Im happy enough with my Fazer at the moment, its my first bike and im very pleased with it!   

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: CBR600F or FZS600?
« Reply #1 on: 15 June 2012, 05:05:03 pm »
I've had a steelie and an ally framed CBR.

The steelie was ok, bit old hat now. The ally framed bike is in a different league to the 600 Fazer. Handling is just so good. Even the steelie is faster than the Fazer, then some, but the ally framed bike is so much more. Utterly brilliant.

Fazer Jake

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2012, 05:17:02 pm »
Probably a much better bike...  :(

Fully adjustable suspension, honda reliability and its quicker too....

What puts me off them is up close they look tiny

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 June 2012, 05:41:56 pm »
But the Fazer has "the look!"

DaxPlusPlus

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2012, 05:24:19 pm »
I used to own one of these for a few years before I totalled it (and broke my collar bone in the process  :eek ), it's an M or N reg, steel framed cbr:

I rode around on a R6  :evil for a few years before taking a break from bikes.

I'm now back as a biker via a 03 Fazer 600 for the last couple of months :) So how do they compare?

For me it all comes down to your position on the bike - on a cbr it's a lot less sit up and beg and a more racy position (nothing like an old school GSXR where it felt like you where steering using the front wheel axle) but it is different. The Fazer feels like your perched up looking down on all the over vehicles. I think this has an effect on how I perceived the cbr and how I feel about the Fazer - the cbr feels like it wants to go faster, that it feels like it handles better too. On the Fazer it just feels right to use more of the torque of the engine and be in more of a touring mode.

Thats not to say you can't ride the Fazer like a loon but, to me, it doesn't feel as though that's what it's all about.

I don't know the power outputs or the percieved wisdom on the differences between the two bikes but I'd say the cbr beats the Fazer on most counts. The only four things that the Fazer does better are:
- tank range (I easlily get more than 260 miles ot a tank) - this I need,
- mpg 55-60mpg regardless of how I ride the bike .. this I like,
- the engine feels like it has much more torque .. this I like too,
- the front brakes are great - I don't remember exactly how good the brakes were on the my cbr but I don't remember them being as good as the Fazers.

I really like the Fazer but I loved the cbr .. and would probably kill to own another R6!

But that's me - I need my practical tank range (commute is very long) but I also love sporty bikes so I've had to compromise .. other people will obviously have their own views .. these are just mine.

Go with your heart is my best advice.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2012, 05:25:59 pm by DaxPlusPlus »

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 June 2012, 08:27:20 am »
Concur with Dax' the Fazer's a better town bike cos' of riding position, aside damn high first gear... but has enough shunt and handling to deal with most mobile chicanes and be quite an enjoyable ride on the twisties too and those front brakes are fabulous, likely to be rather better than a CBR's. A CBR'd likely be less prone to the ole corrosion. Most folk go for the RR don't they, tho' they frequently can't seem to use them. 

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 June 2012, 11:16:51 am »
Fazer brakes better than a CBR? No. The CBR stops far better because the forks actually work.

virtual bodysnatcher

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2012, 08:53:17 am »
Quite a fair comment! Plenty of stopping power, tho' I find loading them a bit earlier rather than just grabbing a handful helps prevent front pushing and I have got some linear springs in which seem to work, that and a Nitron shock/shorter linkage arms and it's quite a fair roadbike. We're not really comparing likes tho' as the CBR's more akin to a Thundercat isn't it, I think the little Fazer punches above it's weight considering, Bandit price but can entertain us old roadracers types, doesn't stop me observing what's available but don't need anything for my useage tho' that Spondon/Norton RSV4 looks quite the dogs deosn't it?