Date: 27-05-24  Time: 15:44 pm

Author Topic: k&n air filter  (Read 7826 times)

fazerblue

• Weekend Warrior
  • made to ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
k&n air filter
« on: 02 February 2013, 03:36:52 pm »
Hi could anyone tell me if I fit a k&n air filter will I need to re jet or will it work fine with the normal set up.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: k&n air filter
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2013, 07:13:23 pm »
it will work fine. fzs 1000 run a little rich anyways so ur consumption shud improve a tiny bit aswell as throttle response.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

fazerblue

• Weekend Warrior
  • made to ride
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2013, 07:23:50 pm »
Thanks

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2013, 12:16:40 pm »
The standard Gen1 thou runs on the lean side.
However standard air boxes are seldom capable of flowing more air than they do with the OE filter, so fitting a K&N should make no difference. 

One of the best mods you can do to the bike is to 'Ivanise' it by the way.  And of you have a K&N plus aftermarket can you really should.  The 'fully monty' Ivan's kit include a wee mod for the airbox so it'll flow more air with a free flow filter like your k&n.

fazermike

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Indian scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2013, 05:05:26 pm »
Hi,
I have heard a lot of guys on here talk about having their bikes Ivanised where do people get this done? and how much does it cost?

Thanks.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2013, 08:08:18 am »
The standard Gen1 thou runs on the lean side.
However standard air boxes are seldom capable of flowing more air than they do with the OE filter, so fitting a K&N should make no difference. 

One of the best mods you can do to the bike is to 'Ivanise' it by the way.  And of you have a K&N plus aftermarket can you really should.  The 'fully monty' Ivan's kit include a wee mod for the airbox so it'll flow more air with a free flow filter like your k&n.

now i'm confused. i'm gettin told one thing  by the dyno boys @ pole position on the highway in london and somethin different here. i have not fitted my K&N air filter and put it for sale on here due to confusion. i have an S&P end can and the carbs were tuned by the last owner to the can. it runs v well with good consumption. so without ivanising the bike r u saying dont bother with K&N?
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

nippykarl

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - street triple RS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2013, 10:05:53 am »
what does the carbs tuned to can by last owner mean ? maybe it is already running stage 1 ivans kit , but you will do no harm fitting the k@n but will gain nothing unless you have the full monty work done.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2013, 02:59:11 pm »
Hi,
I have heard a lot of guys on here talk about having their bikes Ivanised where do people get this done? and how much does it cost?

Thanks.

Drop Mike Falcon269 a pm he will sort you out fella.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2013, 03:46:20 pm »
what does the carbs tuned to can by last owner mean ? maybe it is already running stage 1 ivans kit , but you will do no harm fitting the k@n but will gain nothing unless you have the full monty work done.

Hi nippy. When it comes to mechanics i am useless as i have always ridden company bikes and they have always worked on them apart from a carbed 600 i owned but even then i got special rates from company mechanics. That was half the reason i registered here in the first place. (Meets/ridouts/maintenance/mods).

Geezer i got the bike from said he bought the endcan and had it dyno'd and the guy hoo done adjusted the carbs to account for the change in compression. Not knowing fook all about it i took it as true. I know a guy hoo despatches an fzs1000 and he told me bike runs alittle rich and that if i fitted K&N throttle response and consumption would improve a tiny bit. Again knowing fook all i took it as true. Thats why i posted above. I'm glad i did now. Sorry if i sound a mecanical div but i am. Steep learning curve for me. For me the bike is fast enuff as it is so dont need to ivanise it and if using the k&n wont make any difference i may as well flog it.
A definitive answer as to the whys and wherefores re filter and full monty may make me change my mind tho. Any help appreciated.
Cheers pete.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2013, 04:25:11 pm »
hi exupnut....imo the main advantage with the k+n is you can clean it and re-use.with the standard paper filter its biffa time  ;)  they do increase air flow but not enough to require rejetting........i have k+n filters on my x7 ,slightly different as they do away with the air filter box and fit straight to the carbs,re-jetting is a must and makes a hell of a difference  :D :D  hope this helps   
One, is never going to be enough.....

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 February 2013, 04:41:00 pm »
Exupnut, if you do decide to sell, check your PM's from around a month ago, as in "go on then I'll have it" or words to that effect.

nippykarl

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - street triple RS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 February 2013, 07:12:47 pm »
Exupnut, if you are happy with the bike as it is then enjoy, if you want more power and a faster better bike then look into the full monty kit, you can fit yourself but do need some mechanical knowledge, as said have a chat with Mike aka falcon he is the main man and a demigod really when it comes to this sort of modification, or check out Pats site I will post a link for you.      http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/
« Last Edit: 05 February 2013, 07:18:24 pm by nippykarl »

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 February 2013, 09:22:15 pm »
It runs lean, which is why it's not the best starter, and also you get that surging at higher gear low constant speed with small throttle openings.  The reason it is set up lean is to get through the emissions tests, it's also got AIS (air induction system - which is worth getting rid off) which pumps air into the exhaust when you close the throttle in order to burn up any remaining fuel as you close the throttle.  It's one of the last bikes to feature carbs as it's almost impossible now to get them to confirm with the latest emissions requirements.   

Not sure what's been done to your bike - are there any receipts for work done?

Fit the K&N filter, I doubt it will do any harm or make any difference, but it'll last forever if you clean and oil it every year.

Ivanising is a bit different from K&N re-jetting as it addresses stuff like like by-pass hole sizing.  Never mind the performance increase the bike just runs much nicer once the carbs have been ivanised.  Plus if you went for the kit that mods the air-box too that'll make the most of your K&N filter. 

Search the threads there's loads of stuff on Ivanising.  There's info here - a bit technical but also a good overview to what the Ivans kit is about.  fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/5715/Ivans-Jet-Kit-Installation-Guide-Very-Long-Post#.URF3RtWZzIs

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 February 2013, 11:09:39 pm »
thanks for info and pm's. full monty it is. falcon emailed. :thumbup

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 February 2013, 11:27:29 am »
pardon my ignorance and also for barging into the "big bike" corner.

Is the above also relevant for the FZS600 (2003) regarding the K&N filter
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 February 2013, 01:12:38 pm »
yes , same applies to the 600 with the k+n......not sure if you can ivanise a 600 though
One, is never going to be enough.....

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 February 2013, 05:50:16 pm »
What VNA says, the difference from standard to full monty is amazing. The bike starts much better and the drive is instant, no surging or bogging down at low revs, just silky smooth. The power increase is very noticeable through the midrange to the redline .
Mine will pull off two up from tickover, great if you want smooth take off.
Ivanising works well with a good end can using exup equipped headers or full system .
I have tried it with both and find the bike is even more urgent with the akra headers than standard ones.
There you go my opinion  :)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 February 2013, 10:49:53 pm »
Part- to-mid throttle fuelling is slightly lean as standard but at full throttle it's a touch rich, hence the contradictory posts above.  A K&N or similar filter won't really make much difference either way unless the airbox lid is modified, at which point you really should be altering the jetting to suit.

Hang on to the K&N filter for now. :)

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 February 2013, 12:27:28 am »
the gods have spoken and will lay their hands on my precious. ahhhh....my prrreecciioouuussss...... :lol

fazermike

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Indian scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 February 2013, 05:49:18 pm »
Hi,

Thanks.

Drop Mike Falcon269 a pm he will sort you out fella.

Cheers for that  :thumbup