Date: 09-05-24  Time: 19:10 pm

Author Topic: Bloomin heck these things don't hang about!  (Read 4273 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Bloomin heck these things don't hang about!
« on: 31 January 2013, 03:27:09 pm »
Got my first proper chance to actually give the beasty a bit of a handful, and what I got was definitely not what I was expecting!
I just came off a ZX9R, which itself had once I'd finished with it, just over 140bhp at the wheel. The Fazer I have now is standard in the engine department, except for a slipon can, so I was expecting it to be down on the Ninja anyway, and due to the "midrange bias" of the FZS, I was expecting the Ninja to be a fair bit quicker once you got the revs screaming.

With this in mind, I pulled out onto the A6 at about 30mph, selected second and nailed it. With the 9, this would result in the front end going a bit light, and then once I'd selected third it'd be solid as a rock until ...mph. What actually happened on the Fazer was the front end came right up, let go of the throttle a bit and it went back down, put into 3rd and nailed it and it started getting incredibly light on the front again!
I've already been very impressed with the engine so far for it's sheer grunt, but now I reckon from 0-100 it'd have my old 9 beat, to maybe 140 odd it'd probably be pretty even, and only after that would the ram air and aerodynamics of the 9 get it ahead.

My general summation of the above: "Re-tuned engine"? Balls, it's an R1 engine that just has flat bars!
Can see me very much liking this bike, although I may need to sort a steering damper out if I start cracking on more as I'm very much not used to how light the bars were on it!

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
Re: Bloomin heck these things don't hang about!
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2013, 03:37:49 pm »
Now youre beginning to see what we found out :lol  Enjoy but watch your licence!

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2013, 04:21:30 pm »
Oh there's so much more to come
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2013, 04:31:07 pm »
Get an Ivans jet kit fitted and drop a tooth on the front sprocket and you will be even more impressed. There are some very knowledgeable guys on here that can help on almost everything, also check out Pats page below

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2013, 04:33:21 pm »
get it ivanised mate and then you,ll have much more power straight from tickover.it'll kick a zx9's arse .believe me cos i do it all the time.sportsbikes mmmm i shit em lol
cheers
bash

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2013, 04:38:36 pm »
Get an Ivans jet kit fitted and drop a tooth on the front sprocket and you will be even more impressed. There are some very knowledgeable guys on here that can help on almost everything, also check out Pats page below

Dind't mean to whisper :o

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2013, 05:40:11 pm »
I had the ZX9R C1 and then the C2 and loved both deeply. The blue C1 is still the prettiest bike I have ever owned. The Fazer has 10% more cubes giving you more torque, and then the EXUP valve which makes that torque so much easier to access. Another difference you will notice soon is the off idle fueling is so silky. It just doesn't bog down. If you screw up badly and end up at 1500 rpm in top gear,  just roll on. On the kwaker, I had to slam down the box or slip the clutch until I got at least 4k showing, and doing either would advertise the fact that I have just f*cked up.  On the Fazer, it looks like I am deliberately riding the torque wave.  :lol

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2013, 08:36:43 pm »
u can name ur bike in ur monicker. i dont own a bike aint gonna wash now is it.  :)  if u slap it dont forget to use ur miirors for their intended purpose. to check for plod before u FEEL ALIVE  :lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2013, 09:05:30 pm »
I had a ZX9R E1 before my Fazer, Joe. I didn't really know what to think as it was just an impulse test ride for the hell of it, and like you I was really quite amazed at how quick the Fazer was. I bought it there and then because I was sick of having to wind the 9 up to 4k just to get away from the lights and that riding position always annoyed me.

I think the ZX9 just has the edge at really high revs but the Fazer has it all over the ZX9 below 8, and although the 9 will keep going way past the Fazer's 160ish top speed, it really doesn't matter that much.

Course, I Ivanised mine. Oh yes. More everywhere, and much snappier and willing to rev out..... Bye bye ZX9. And if you can spanner yourself, it's a 3 hour, 120 quid improvement that make you very very happy..

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2013, 09:26:57 pm »

Regarding dropping the front sprocket a tooth size how do you adjust the speedo to read the correct speed, when the speedometer is not driven by the front wheel?
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2013, 09:36:20 pm »
You don't, it reads a bit more than your actually doing, got it dyno,d at 164mph speedo reading 175....remember there is no wind resistance on the dyno set up. Speedo's are not that acurate anyway

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2013, 09:45:27 pm »

Regarding dropping the front sprocket a tooth size how do you adjust the speedo to read the correct speed, when the speedometer is not driven by the front wheel?

A speedo healer I think it's called, or take a satnav out with you and compare it with the clocks at 30, 50 and 70 mph to give you an idea of what's what.
http://www.bikersdiscountstore.co.uk/speedo-healer/healtech-electronics/speedo-healer-v4-pd-18.php

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2013, 07:49:28 pm »
I went 2 up on the rear and use a speedo healer. Nice bit of kit. Easy to change the settings and can also adjust it to fix the speedo error built in. As a little toy it also had a top speed button great for on track or just a bit of fun.

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2013, 10:38:50 pm »
I love my Fazer! I learnt on what I thought was a quick bike ( a suzuki gladius 650 ) but the Fazer is incredible! With a sports exhaust it seems slightly down on low end grunt, but once you wind it up to 5 to 6 thousand rpm it pulls like a train! Im amazed by this bike, I swear I'll never sell it, it's in the family for good!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2013, 12:16:06 am »
Im amazed by this bike, I swear I'll never sell it, it's in the family for good!
That's exactly how I feel. Who knew when I bought it 9 years ago as a kind of stop gap bike that I'd still have it today, and that today's bikes would be no better. I've ridden the Tuono V4, VFR1200, Z1000SX, Multistrada, etc and good as some of them are, better made, higher quality, faster, better handling, with new tech like traction control and ABS, there's something so right about the Fazer. Nothing has the right blend of usability, performance and charisma to make me give it up.

Hobgoblin

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2013, 10:52:14 pm »
Im amazed by this bike, I swear I'll never sell it, it's in the family for good!
That's exactly how I feel. Who knew when I bought it 9 years ago as a kind of stop gap bike that I'd still have it today, and that today's bikes would be no better. I've ridden the Tuono V4, VFR1200, Z1000SX, Multistrada, etc and good as some of them are, better made, higher quality, faster, better handling, with new tech like traction control and ABS, there's something so right about the Fazer. Nothing has the right blend of usability, performance and charisma to make me give it up.
Exactly! I've been riding with mate since I passed my test, him on his old suzuki gs550, and all along he keeps saying " wait til I get the 900 diversion back on the road after the winter, it's a torque monster, I'll show you all about torque then! ". Well today he did, and we did a 40mph to ' a quick speed !' up a hill, in top gear for both of us, and the trusty 600 Fazer matched him all the way! Smug mode enabled!