Date: 05-05-24  Time: 12:12 pm

Author Topic: help required  (Read 1667 times)

byker_groves

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
help required
« on: 10 April 2012, 08:45:19 pm »
hi, got the bike out of storage for the first time this year today and found some cracking in what i think are the carburetor manifolds. i've tried to put i link to a photograph of them below but if that doesn't work i'll try and give a description. between the carburetors and the back of the engine there are four horizontal pipes about an inch or so long, they're rubberised and have a slight kink built into the design. what i want to know is if anybody has any experience of these. is it a protective layer cracking or is it more serious? do they need replacing asap and if so is it a big job? and could it be a sign of some other problems with the fueling perhaps? sorry for not being more technical but i'm still learning bikes and still have limited experience. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150673102802921&l=db75b8b2ad

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: help required
« Reply #1 on: 10 April 2012, 09:02:54 pm »
Are these what u r talking about?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=380428231850&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=89336127836

If they are and they have split then it will let to much air in and will cause stutters and so on.
I think :rolleyes

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 April 2012, 09:09:16 pm »
fire the bike up and see if it runs ok. carefully spray some wd40 onto the cracked area and see if the revs rise. if they do then the crack is all the way through. take care not to spray shitloads of wd40 onto a hot engine!

you can bodge a repair by wrapping the intake rubbers with insulation tape. otherwise you'll need to replace them.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 April 2012, 09:13:06 pm »
Mine looked a hell of a lot worse than that when I finally got round to replacing them, and they hadn't gone all the way through - reckon you'll be fine for a while yet!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 April 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
hi,common problem on these bikes,if its just a hairline crack you`ve got nothing to worry about,mine were cracked for years and i  have only just replaced them,some of the cracks were 1mm but with no signs of cracking on the inside,there very thick....to put your mind at rest try the wd40 trick  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Dunky

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 April 2012, 09:27:32 pm »
Here is a suggestion for you its what I did to mine rub some pva wood glue into the cracks and when it dries it dries clear now I'm not saying mine were cracked right through but I just done it for piece of mind.
Dunky..................
" Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow. "

byker_groves

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 April 2012, 10:10:20 pm »
fire the bike up and see if it runs ok. carefully spray some wd40 onto the cracked area and see if the revs rise. if they do then the crack is all the way through. take care not to spray shitloads of wd40 onto a hot engine!

you can bodge a repair by wrapping the intake rubbers with insulation tape. otherwise you'll need to replace them.
yeah, those are the badgers!
thanks for all the help guys (and girls?) i didn't really notice any drop in performance while riding so i'll hold off replacing them for now but i'll be sure to try the WD40 trick and bodge as required.

thanks again everybody!

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #7 on: 10 April 2012, 10:26:44 pm »
Use a spray solvent instead and you'll still be able to do the glue/silicon bodge, fill the cracks with wd40 and it wont stick.
Obviously don't do it with the engine too hot.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!