Date: 07-05-24  Time: 11:31 am

Author Topic: wash your bike quick...  (Read 1099 times)

Fowlersrs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
wash your bike quick...
« on: 12 March 2012, 10:08:49 pm »
Thats right SE members, the good old drought season is here, weve had a shit load of rain like every other winter past and yet on the news this evening is that hose pipes will grip the SE in less than a month..

were also an island, but I guess desalination isnt top of the goverments squeeky tight budget just now.. just amazes me the whole grey water scheme hasnt taken off more what with solar pv taking a massive boost in incentive..

what do you think?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: wash your bike quick...
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2012, 11:54:13 pm »
Funny you should say that... I washed the winter salt off the bike this afternoon with grey water and rinsed it with rain water from the water butt.

Can't say we've had much rain here this winter though, I've arrived at work with dry socks far more often than normal despite still having the same old leaky biking boots. :lol

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2012, 08:36:19 am »
Thames water lose 1/3 of their supply in leaks.  They made £650 million after taxation.  They did invest £750 million in capital investment, but this includes non-water provision related things.  They paid dividends (mostly the owners) £191 million.

On the other hand, nobody wants new reservoirs built, people want more houses built so the population will increase in the SE.  A reservoir has recently been turned down near where I live.  Once full, it would had just about covered South East Water's daily loss through leakage.

Investment on water storage (ie reservoirs) and stopping wastage must be an answer - or stopping an increase in population above the ability of the natural resources.  Whilst I'm not on a meter (and living in a small house with 2 kids, water rates are low and washing machine usage is high, I don't want to be), putting people on a meter so they at least thing about leaving hosepipes on overnight to water the garden must be a good idea.  All other utilities are paid for by supply, why not water?

I guess nobody has bothered with GreyWater because a lot of people are on a set rateable value rather than meter, so not bothered about usage. 

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2012, 02:23:47 pm »
I'll just do mine round the back of the house and behind the 6 foot high walls if it gets too dirty :)