Date: 27-04-24  Time: 22:22 pm

Author Topic: Insurance advice needed after two accidents  (Read 1740 times)

Mike @ Bristol

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Insurance advice needed after two accidents
« on: 03 September 2013, 09:32:42 pm »
My mate Dave owns a motorcycle and a car.  Earlier this year he had an accident on his bike which was his fault and a few weeks later a car accident which was his fault. Both minor, no personal injuries to any parties, just dents into rear bumpers due to poor road conditions, he told me. Both parties claimed on Daves Insurance.

Dave has no experience of dealing with the insurance renewal process and needs some advice.  Does Dave need to advise his motorcycle insurer of the car accident when completing motorcycle insurance information and vice versa? What happens if he doesn't? He assumes it becomes void. For how long does Dave need to keep informing insurers of his accident history? i.e, 1 year? 3 years? 5 years?

Thanks for any help you can give Dave, he's a muppet.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance advice needed after two accidents
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2013, 09:44:13 pm »
yes notify both accidents to both insurers or if he claims again it will be void.
some insurers ask any accidents (even if theres on claim made) in the last 5 years or some in the last 3 years, theres no point in not telling them as it's only when you make a claim that they will check and void his insurance.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2013, 10:59:40 pm »
I agree; notify both insurers of both accidents - bear in mind that insurers do talk to each other and may well find out anyhow.
As for accident history it''ll vary from one insurer to another, but I think most will ask about accidents / convictions in the last 5 years (but do check with the insurer).

If it's fairly minor damage to bumpers, maybe it would've been simpler / cheaper to make good the damage from his own pocket rather than go through insurance?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 September 2013, 05:25:15 pm »
A few years ago my wife had an minor accident in her car and the other guy claimed on her insurance. I renewed my bike insurance as usual and about two weeks later I got a letter of them saying I had not declared an accident and would have to pay another £23 or I would be refused insurance. Not a good thing!
When I rang them  they said it was because I was a named driver on my wifes insurance policy! I had no choice but to pay up.
So always declare anything and everything because they do check up on people on a regular basis.

Mike @ Bristol

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2013, 03:28:30 pm »
Thanks for the help all. Will pass it on.