Date: 18-05-24  Time: 00:22 am

Author Topic: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?  (Read 38556 times)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Let the flaming begin - Forum Rules ?
« Reply #100 on: 03 July 2013, 10:27:05 am »
"public outcry" :lol

No time this morning, hopefully tomorrow afternoon. I'm just going to stick the thing live - what can go wrong?

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 03 July 2013, 11:04:04 am »
I'm just going to stick the thing live - what can go wrong?

You do realise you've just jinxed it?  :groan
The Deef's apprentice

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 03 July 2013, 11:21:44 am »
"public outcry" :lol

No time this morning, hopefully tomorrow afternoon. I'm just going to stick the thing live - what can go wrong?

Hopefully it'll only break youtube embedding if it breaks anything at all.  Do a site back-up (files and database), dump the file in, remove the youtube-https-http censor from the gui and jobs a goodun.  Your regression path is twofold, remove the new php file and reimplement the censor.  If that doesn't work you still have the db/file backup as a fail safe. My only proper concern is that file formatting on a windows machine is different to file formatting on a unix machine and the differences are not visible to the naked eye (you can't easily see CRLF's in a text file unless it allows you to see embedded formatting).  I never got on with EMAC's and normally fall back on nano and notepad tbh.

I don't think this will change anything with regard to the topic though as users can't implement personal word censors anyway afaik as in the current implementation it looks site wide.

Farjo, et al.  Just to be clear.  I think you lot do a great job with the site and it's fabulous is so many ways.  I think you should post up on the suggestions page the new features and changes and fixes that you do on an ongoing basis so that people understand that there is a level of workload maintaining and running a site like this.  Thank you and sorry if my control freak nature gave you the impression I was ungrateful.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 03 July 2013, 11:54:17 am »
This seems like a lot of work for the Admins to fix a problem that doesn't exist :lol

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 03 July 2013, 12:07:37 pm »
This seems like a lot of work for the Admins to fix a problem that doesn't exist :lol
Everything with computers is a lot of work.  After a while, when you've done it a lot, it doesn't become so much effort.  The thing that is being fixed isn't even to resolve any issue described in the thread, it's simply to make a workaround in to a legit fix.  It could also potentially speed the site up by a millionth of a percent  :lol .

Anything that gives end users a choice is worth a small amount of effort (if you're that kind of person).  Even if the people it appeases are in the minority.  It depends on if you give people choice because it's fun, it's a challenge, because you want to give people choice or even to make the site more popular with the minority of people that are against homophobia/sexism/profanity or even just to make it marginally more family friendly.

It's not a problem, it's life, and life has a lot of potential fixes, solutions and annoyances.  Wouldn't it be nice if you complained to HMRC about the length of time you were on hold and they actually *shock horror* did something about it rather than saying that the other 90% of people didn't complain so it's not an issue (yes I know that isn't a great example).  I made a suggestion, it's not going to be taken up.  It doesn't mean you can't talk about it or other site related issues even if the thread goes off-topic.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2013, 12:08:28 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 03 July 2013, 12:33:29 pm »
simonm - what browser do you use? Surely there is a plugin / addon somewhere out there which will serve the same purpose instead of writing / modifying the code for the site?

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 03 July 2013, 12:41:17 pm »
simonm - what browser do you use? Surely there is a plugin / addon somewhere out there which will serve the same purpose instead of writing / modifying the code for the site?
I use chrome and firefox and blocking profanity is not the issue and never was  :)

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 03 July 2013, 12:57:51 pm »
I use chrome and firefox and blocking profanity is not the issue and never was  :)

Then what is it!?!?
The Deef's apprentice

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 03 July 2013, 01:16:56 pm »

Then what is it!?!?
It was about forum guidelines including racism, sexism,homophobia.  I think, but I'm not sure, Swearing came up afterwards when the posts were pointlessly littered with profanity.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 03 July 2013, 01:20:40 pm »
Okay I was wrong.  Swearing was always in there but it wasn't my point.  My point was politeness, equality and inclusion.  Swearing doesn't bother me until it's vulgar,prolific and pointless.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 03 July 2013, 01:44:47 pm »
Okay I was wrong.  Swearing was always in there but it wasn't my point.  My point was politeness, equality and inclusion.  Swearing doesn't bother me until it's vulgar,prolific and pointless.

If you ride a bike, you're equal to other bikers (even if it is blue and slow, Exup!). Never had any problems with inclusion, despite a wide range of ages and backgrounds. As for politeness, almost all the people who post here treat each other with respect. If you will stick your nose in heated topics, you will get burned a bit, as opinions do tend to flare up (yours included, I might add). Your reaction is different to others, live & let live.

If I can offer some advice: drop it. The thread is getting old now, and you're not going to do yourself any favours digging this hole any deeper.
The Deef's apprentice

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 03 July 2013, 01:51:25 pm »
I dropped it ages ago.  Now it's banter.  The 'fix' we talked about is just a curiosity.

I also wasn't concerned about me being equal to anyone.  I've never given two hoots what anyone thinks about me and a leopard can't change its spots.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 03 July 2013, 02:06:42 pm »
Fair enough, just skim read the thread and figured it might be an option since you seemed to be working on some sort of filter system.

Personally I'm against censorship of pretty much any kind (I'm sure there's probably an exception I've forgotten of which some pedantic sod will bring up :P) but that probably stems from being a bit of a pirate in a past life, yarr harr me mateys!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 03 July 2013, 02:22:11 pm »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz  :rolleyes
One, is never going to be enough.....

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 03 July 2013, 02:25:00 pm »
I dropped it ages ago.  Now it's banter.  The 'fix' we talked about is just a curiosity.

I also wasn't concerned about me being equal to anyone.  I've never given two hoots what anyone thinks about me and a leopard can't change its spots.

The original complaint was about what we consider banter, y'know...
The Deef's apprentice

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 03 July 2013, 02:28:14 pm »
Quote from: Dead Eye link=topic=8e595.msg85424#msg85424 date=1372856802
Fair enough, just skim read the thread and figured it might be an option since you seemed to be working on some sort of filter system.

Personally I'm against censorship of pretty much any kind (I'm sure there's probably an exception I've forgotten of which some pedantic sod will bring up :P) but that probably stems from being a bit of a pirate in a past life, yarr harr me mateys!

People say they're against censorship but it seems society would disagree in the main.  You don't see much of the KKK in public life and racism/homophobia is generally done quietly with like minded people.  There isn't censorship in public but it is generally accepted that swearing/sexism etc is not acceptable it moderates itself.  Forums normally don't do censorship, they moderate and have guidelines which makes conversation civil.

MY viewpoint is that civility is good and great conversations can be had in a genial manner.  The idea of moderation has been dismissed by the admins and it was only a suggestion at the end of the day.  I asked the question, it has been answered.  There is no point in arguing over things I can't change.  All I've been doing since is explaining my actions and perspective.

Pirates rule, especially since Johnny Depp brought them back in to fashion.  "Whose a pretty boy then" seems quite apropos to the discussion.  Meh  :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 03 July 2013, 04:15:44 pm »
Yeah, I knew there would some definition of censorship that I didn't bother to consider in all of the 20 seconds it took me to write my post :P

But again, that's self-censored by society and is governed by social morality more than rules and regulations controlled by an authority / government / ruling body etc

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 03 July 2013, 04:56:35 pm »
Agreed. 

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 03 July 2013, 06:38:42 pm »
Oh, you're just singling out and picking on us poor vulgar, prolific and pointless people! That offends me and I find it very discriminating... :moon

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 03 July 2013, 06:40:17 pm »
Oh, you're just singling out and picking on us poor vulgar, prolific and pointless people! That offends me and I find it very discriminating... :moon
:rollin

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 03 July 2013, 07:00:57 pm »
simon......would this be acceptable to u ?

OFF !
i think that ticks all yer boxes mate :rollin
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 03 July 2013, 07:26:11 pm »
simon......would this be acceptable to u ?

OFF !
i think that ticks all yer boxes mate :rollin

http://www.roubaixinteractive.com/PlayGround/Binary_Conversion/Binary_To_Text.asp

Nicely done our kid.  You're good at the classics.  Infinitely preferable to f**k.  The amount of time it would take you to do that for every profanity would at least show dedication to your art.  :rollin

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 03 July 2013, 07:31:36 pm »
Golly gosh Simon are you still here?

I would have thought that your personal dynamic risk assessment would have told you that the safest thing to do in this situation was ..........

........ to get the fuck out of here before the bear eats you !

I only eat women, gay or straight.....if I eat a hey woman does that make me a 50% practicing homosexual......after all I am a lesbian trapped in a mans body  :lol

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 03 July 2013, 11:08:54 pm »
I could have done with this...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23160583

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 04 July 2013, 05:41:29 pm »
Sorry Simon, having looked at how it works it's not going to work out. I thought the option was to opt into censoring, however it is to log out of it. This means that everyone will have their posts censored and there would be endless "why are my posts being censored" threads. I've had a look and there are no modifications to change this. Maybe in a future version it will be available.