Date: 17-05-24  Time: 23:47 pm

Author Topic: which helmets are you guys using?  (Read 15372 times)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: which helmets are you guys using?
« Reply #50 on: 27 June 2013, 12:48:18 pm »
How much do you actually see out of the rear view mirror?

I thought about it for a while and thought I'd spend too much time looking into the helmet liner!

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 June 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
I like the DD strap fitting, had a seat belt type one on a Shoei 800 and it was OK but the DD always gets tightened to just the right amount regardless of what neck wear ot not you are wearing
I agree.
When the new Shoei GT-Air was announced it had a seat belt type fitting, and still does in the brochures, but they come to the UK with double D ring. I wouldn't have a helmet with anything else.
The flip down visor is very useful. Going from roads in full sun to shady tree lined roads you can see again in 1 second. The visor fitting is improved than on my older XR1000, it really fits tight against the helmet.
The breathguard is the most flimsy thin piece of plastic I've ever seen though. I had to pad the thing out with tape to get it to stay in place.
« Last Edit: 27 June 2013, 05:54:07 pm by Phil »

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 27 June 2013, 08:38:02 pm »
Soapy, what do u reckon to the rear view? Does it help? Saw these ages ago but as they were new and didnt fancy just risking it so i bought a different helmet.

The Rocketeer

• Pacman
    Cymru am byth
    Askin' for a foccin' bannin too
    Really geeky & crap
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ROCKET 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 28 June 2013, 12:40:42 am »
Only buy a Caberg if you are stone deaf. Had a Schuberth S1 Pro, very heavy and gave me the worst helmet hair ever, no better than the XR1000 I had before. Got a Roof Boxer V8 now, love it exept when it's pishing down, not the best visor seal, use the Multitec in the rain.
Anatidaephobia: The fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 28 June 2013, 12:02:29 pm »
Caberg Ego with integral sun visor. Noisy even with plugs and the visor seals let rain run down the inside. Air vents are totally useless and couldn't get the pinlock to work.

Soooo, in the same boat and looking for a new lid. Currently looking at Shark S900C  :rolleyes [size=78%] [/size]
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 28 June 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
Soapy, what do u reckon to the rear view? Does it help? Saw these ages ago but as they were new and didnt fancy just risking it so i bought a different helmet.

Sorry for any confusion. I was asking a question at the bottom of his quote. I have a Shoei XR1000 which is quite noisy. I was asking Tmation a couple of questions about the Reevu.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 28 June 2013, 12:51:35 pm »
XR1100 for me, little noisy but since Neely fitted my starcom its just music I hear. Superb fit which for me over rules any downsides, comes with free pin lock  :)

Also have a KBC helmet, quiet but not as good a fit as the shoei
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 28 June 2013, 01:48:22 pm »
Soapy, nsr500v4
[/size]
[/size]First size, I had an Arai Quantum E size M two Arai RX7 XX both L then an Astro R in size M. I got the Reevu in size Med and the sent me a set of size L linings  (they will send a second set to allow custom fit). I got mine from Shiny Bike Syndrome  [/size][size=78%]http://www.shinybikesyndrome.co.uk/new/[/size] [/size](Nooj on here) but the main place is in the north east somewhere. Excellent back up and support, but phone for spare visors etc don't order from website.[/size][size=78%] [/size][/size][size=78%]http://vision-helmets.com/[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Rear view is very good and as I said it takes around 500 miles to get used to it (don't stare into it all the time) the view isn't crystal clear like a car mirror but it's good enough. It is great for ride outs and track days etc plus normal commuting and riding, I don't understand why all riding instructors don't wear them.
[/size]
[/size]I find the Helmet very comfortable for all day riding, it is much quieter than all my Arai helmets, the forward vision is good, visor changing easy (download instructions from site), the ventilation can be felt working especially down the back of my head, downside its 200-300 grams heavier than my last Arai.
[/size]

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 05 July 2013, 06:40:18 pm »
Just bought an HJC IS-17, black. Judging by short ride home from work today in hot sunshine, the vents work well, really noticed the difference. Drop down dark visor - first one of these I've had. Seems to fit nicely with no uncomfortable tight spots. Retails at about £140 - brand new at £76! That'll do me...
Nice to retire cheap £45 Box that I only really bought to pick up the bike when I bought it. Will do for a spare. Was going to wait for next lot of HJC RPHA10 Carbons to come in, but going to Wales next week, so needed something decent sooner. Will let you all know what I think of The IS-17 after a bit more intensive use.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 05 July 2013, 07:10:53 pm »
This reevu looks interesting, hadn't heard of it before this thread. To any of the owners: does the tunneling for the mirror make it sit really high on your head?

One of my buddies has just got a nexx r1r carbon as well - feck me! Makes my Nolan helmet feel like a tank, the things so light!

So many to choose from, still wish there was a shop local that had a decent selection so I could get one that I know for sure fits my bonce properly, buying online and having to return etc it a hassle..
« Last Edit: 05 July 2013, 07:12:21 pm by mickvp »

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 05 July 2013, 08:48:18 pm »
Mickvp,

The mirror tunnel is around 1.5 cm deep and it is molded into the helmet so the original helmet is underneath. Apparently (according to an American sales pitch) it also as like a crumple zone on the helmet, absorbing some of the impact before the main shell.

When wearing the helmet it doesn't feel any different to a normal helmet (you can just see out of the back). You should still do your life savers and use your mirrors, it just adds an additional view.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 13 July 2013, 09:29:31 pm »
Just bought an HJC IS-17, black. Judging by short ride home from work today in hot sunshine, the vents work well, really noticed the difference. Drop down dark visor - first one of these I've had. Seems to fit nicely with no uncomfortable tight spots. Retails at about £140 - brand new at £76! That'll do me...
Nice to retire cheap £45 Box that I only really bought to pick up the bike when I bought it. Will do for a spare. Was going to wait for next lot of HJC RPHA10 Carbons to come in, but going to Wales next week, so needed something decent sooner. Will let you all know what I think of The IS-17 after a bit more intensive use.

Nearly forgot this. OK, fits real well, snug but not uncomfortable. Still impressed with the vents after having so many lids where I didn't know if they were open or closed for all the effect I got. Nice to have the drop down tint visor, obviously that's been a real bonus lately, but I think a decent pair of shades keeps the wind out of my eyes better. However, unintentionally, it has it's own way of coping with this; The visor ratchet is a bit looser than it should be, and I was thinking about sorting this when I got back to work (replacement visor and/or base plates), but actually, the wind tends to blow the visor shut just as it gets a bit too much! So, a happy accident  :)  Light and aerodynamic enough to not really notice the weight (though carbon, say 1250/1300g, better in this regard). This helmet, Med., marked 1500g. With hot, sweaty couple of days in Wales recently, thankful that cheek pads and crown liner removable and washable! Oh, and by the way, watch out for weight claims, even as marked on helmets - manufacturers often say a certain weight, and often this will be marked as the same on all sizes of a particular helmet, but eg, HJC generally use three shell sizes (XS/S, M/L, L/XL), and of course, the larger ones weigh more! (Although to be fair, it may not be a really noticeable difference). Liner material soft and comfy, not at all abrasive, Double-D-ring strap (my personal preference as easy to adjust on the move) with press stud fastening for excess strap length. Chin curtain fits nicely and does a good job of keeping unwanted breezes from coming in from unwanted direction (not a problem lately, but is easily removable). Visor removal & refitting is quick & easy. Pinlock insert supplied. That's about it, so I'd say I'm pretty happy with it. If it's the right shape for you, I'd recommend the IS-17.  :)
« Last Edit: 13 July 2013, 10:30:51 pm by nick crisp »

mirdif64

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 14 July 2013, 12:01:16 am »
Just got a Shoei GT Air to replace my old Arai RX 7. Seems well made and is nice and quiet.