Date: 30-04-24  Time: 13:53 pm

Author Topic: Thin side stand  (Read 1864 times)

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
Thin side stand
« on: 08 May 2013, 07:04:25 am »
Hi everyone: on a recent ferry trip to Spain with my '04 Fazer I noticed the side stand flex alarmingly as the ferry staff strapped the bike to the deck - it looked worryingly thin on such a big bike and wondered if anyone here had any knowledge of a Fazer side stand snapping or failing? S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Thin side stand
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2013, 07:44:42 am »
It does seem thin to me too, so I tend to use the centre stand on ferries

Tommo

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2013, 02:52:24 pm »
 :agree  me too

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 May 2013, 07:16:20 pm »

Tommo

Ditto, mainly because it's loaded to the max! Even if it wasn't, I would prefer the more stable platform for the straps.

I was chatting to some crew as they strapped mine down last time I crossed to France - they don't like bikes on sidestands, as they've had stands snap mid crossing, and a very cross owner at the other end!  :eek :eek
The Deef's apprentice

markaboot

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 May 2013, 08:46:30 pm »

Tommo

Ditto, mainly because it's loaded to the max! Even if it wasn't, I would prefer the more stable platform for the straps.

I was chatting to some crew as they strapped mine down last time I crossed to France - they don't like bikes on sidestands, as they've had stands snap mid crossing, and a very cross owner at the other end!  :eek :eek

probably because they wack the straps on too tight lol

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 May 2013, 10:20:17 pm »
If they know what they're doing, the ferry guys ratchet down on the other side from the stand compressing the suspension and not putting any more strain than normal on the side stand. If .....

I got into the bad habit of spinning the bike round on the centre stand.... yup, snapped it in two eventually.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 May 2013, 10:24:12 pm »
If they know what they're doing, the ferry guys ratchet down on the other side from the stand compressing the suspension and not putting any more strain than normal on the side stand. If .....

I got into the bad habit of spinning the bike round on the centre stand.... yup, snapped it in two eventually.

Unfortunately, physics is against you on that argument. Yes, it will put more strain on the suspension, but however you do it, the sidestand will take a hammering anyway. And if the sidestand isn't the toughest... let's just say a sidestand giving way is more likely to happen that the center through sheer volume of material, especially if the mounting brackets are worn / on the flimsy side.
The Deef's apprentice

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2013, 11:32:58 pm »
Ever seen the AA put enough compression into the suspension so you don't even need the side stand on a trailer? The straps hold it upright. That's what I was getting at. Ratchet the bike down on the suspension until it's upright on its wheels rather than resting like a tripod on the side stand.

With SeaFrance you had to strap the bike down yourself, so you could make sure you got it upright yourself.

Must be a pretty rare thing though. Anyone had it happen to them here?
Cue a hundred posts from users who've had their sidestands snap on a ferry! :D

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2013, 11:30:04 am »
Ever seen the AA put enough compression into the suspension so you don't even need the side stand on a trailer? The straps hold it upright. That's what I was getting at. Ratchet the bike down on the suspension until it's upright on its wheels rather than resting like a tripod on the side stand.

With SeaFrance you had to strap the bike down yourself, so you could make sure you got it upright yourself.

Must be a pretty rare thing though. Anyone had it happen to them here?
Cue a hundred posts from users who've had their sidestands snap on a ferry! :D

At the risk of sounding cynical, Sea France only do that to avoid liability. You strap it down, your fault if it breaks.

No, never seen the AA winch a bike down. Every time I've seen my bike (and others) being strapped down on the ferry (6 times now), the bike does compress the sidestand more. Talking to deck crew though, they've said that they had bikes break side stands (generally super sports machines too - no centre option). And on Condor Ferries where they often immobilise the front wheel and handlebars to keep the bike upright, they've had issues with wheels and forks deforming.

At the end of the day, when I first went home on my 125 (which only had a sidestand), I noticed that every bike with a centrestand was using it. And there were 40 odd bikes on that crossing. So that's what I've done ever since when I could.
The Deef's apprentice

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2013, 01:46:09 pm »
When a strap my Gsx600f on the pick up truck I strap it on side stand, as it only has this. But I strap ratchet on other side to it. I also strap the wheels and or frame below suspensions point. I found no matter how hard you strap the shock unless you bottom it out the straps will losen when you hit a bump.

So I strap the swing arm and the front frame Mont with another on the front fork brace.
On l long trip I will throw one over the top as well but that's only front then secure at back of truck to stop any forward movement under heavy braking and the side stand lifting.

Same way I used to strap my mx bikes to.
Never had a bike over yet.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2013, 07:48:22 pm »
Every time I've seen my bike (and others) being strapped down on the ferry (6 times now), the bike does compress the sidestand more. Talking to deck crew though, they've said that they had bikes break side stands (generally super sports machines too - no centre option). And on Condor Ferries where they often immobilise the front wheel and handlebars to keep the bike upright, they've had issues with wheels and forks deforming.

Blimey. I stand corrected. (No pun intended!)