Date: 17-05-24  Time: 21:43 pm

Author Topic: The Best & most simple alarm to fit 'HELP' to a Gen 1??  (Read 2562 times)

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
The Best & most simple alarm to fit 'HELP' to a Gen 1??
« on: 23 October 2012, 04:30:48 pm »
Winter upon us & going to fit an alarm to fit to my Gen 1 whilst the weather is s--te.  Will be fitting it myself & wonder if the Forum has any suggestions which is the best & most easiest to fit or are they all the same?

chitsu

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: The Best & most simple alarm to fit 'HELP' to a Gen 1??
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2012, 05:05:33 pm »
Personally I would not bother, they are more trouble than they are worth! (Ive removed a few this year)

You would be better off spending your money on a tracking type device, atleast you have a chance of getting your bike back with one of them fitted.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2012, 05:33:45 pm »
A python!!
Seriously though, the only people who seem to like alarms are the insurance lot! You could be better off with a good lock and ground anchor system, though obviously when out and about the anchor is off no use!
There are often posters here who ask how to get rid of their alarms not fit them.

allanmac

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2012, 07:24:16 pm »
I have binned a fair few alarms over the years same old stuff. Draining the battery and not very reliable when they get old. The only time iv ever had one fitted was on my Benelli tornado rs. Couldnt get insurance for it at the time without a cat 1 alarm and immob. Had to get it fitted by the dealer so that the certificate was valid. Wasnt overwelmed by the experience worst £350 i ever spent.
If its not fitted by a dealer or doesnt have the certificate to prove it was the insurance co will ignore it as a security device.
Cheers Allan

bludclot

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2012, 08:57:18 pm »

in order to reply to the posted question i would suggest the meta 357 series. they are cat 1 approved and have the added advantage of being able to have the button integrated into the ignition key, thus saving the top yoke from fob scratches when riding and being more comfortable when in a pocket! i have had 4 meta 357 systems now on two and four wheels and none of them have ever given any problems in themselves or via the vehicle batteries. (my current van meta has been on there 7 years so far!)

i would avoid datatool alarms as they chirp when in valet mode, thus advertising to the world the make of alarm fitted and that it's turned off. a very strange design feature.

a friendly alarm retailer will (ok, might) provide an insurance approved certificate when supplying the alarm for a self fit, should the subject be approached in the right manner (and not in front of any other customers!)
is it clean enough?

BMCfaz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2012, 10:32:15 pm »
I'd agree with the 'don't do it' lobby! Alarms are more trouble than they're worth, and don't stop the bike being thrown in the back of a transit in seconds!
Any groundlock and chain gives a better chance of keeping the bike at home, a lightweight cable is more of a deterrent while you're out, f you can attach it to anything, and a Tracker's probably the only chance of getting it back.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 October 2012, 06:16:49 pm »
Thanks forum, that was the feedback I was hoping for either a big yes or no, NO it is then!!!!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2012, 12:26:48 am »
I have the META 357T V2 fitted to all my bikes and never had a problem, after 10 days they go into sleep mode and do not drain anything from the battery. I fitted all three myself and any I come across that were giving trouble was always due to poor fitting and poor quality connectors, even ones supposedly fitted by experts. Whereas all the CAT 1 types are good, the easiest one to live with is the META.  I did a lot of research prior to purchasing my first meta 8 years ago. For peace of mind fit one and if you do fit it yourself take your time fitting it and route the wires cleanly, soldering joints and making full use of Heat Shrink tubing where ever possible. The oldest one I have which was fitted in 2004 and is still in everday use. I have never had anyone come back to me with problems from any of the ones I have fitted other than batteries for the remote controls.
However do not depend on the alarm alone, it is only a noisy deterent. Nothing will stop a determined thief, the idea is to move them on to an easier target.

FuZzBoM

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2012, 12:55:49 pm »
The thing you have to be aware of is that if someone wants to steal your bike enough they will.. locks, chain and alarms are just deterrents to make your bike less desirable to steal.
Personally when out and about I fit a onguard disc lock with an oxford cable to tie it to something.
I do also have an alarm fitted. I like you want to fit it myself. In reality it gives the same level of security as a £200 alarm but not insurance recognised.
It’s a Hawk X-50 and for £30 I am very happy with it for the money. I have wired it in such a way if it were to pack up on me I could remove it and have it back to standard in about 10 minutes. Even at the side of the road.
When you buy the alarm they give you the wiring diagram for your bike and I was able to fit it in about 2 hours.
 http://www.hawkcaralarm.com/X50ProMotorcycleAlarmsRemoteEngineStartImmobiliser.aspx
Lord,
Grant me the WD-40 to move those things that are stuck, the Duck tape to fasten those things that are loose, And the wisdom to know the difference.
Amen

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2012, 03:33:26 pm »
I bought an alarm called "IGNITOR" from Australia. I use it on every bike I get. Dead simple to fit, use and remove.

Just 2 wires - one positive to the battery, and another positive to an ignition-switched source. That's it!! When you switch off the ignition it arms. When you switch ignition on, it disarms. It couldn't get any easier. It's small and loud. Also has a "Ferry Mode".
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

justy1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - fzs 600 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2012, 03:53:27 pm »
ive got a "D" lock (which is made for the gen 1) for mine. it fits under the seat. use that when im out & an ground achor at home.

but as stated, if they want it, they're have it! marks my words.......... knew a bloke who had his Harley nicked from his garage. they just put a hole in the wall! no one takes any notice of alarms nowa days either!

justy1000

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2012, 11:01:46 pm »
Alarms are more trouble than they are worth.  Far more efficient at wrecking your battery than preventing theft.  In addition, any that you fit your self will only offer a minimum protection rating.  (Top rated alarms need to be professionally fitted)  Invest in physical security instead.