Date: 04-05-24  Time: 06:06 am

Author Topic: Vibration Through the Left Footpeg  (Read 4503 times)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Vibration Through the Left Footpeg
« on: 28 August 2012, 12:33:35 pm »
Wondering if anyone can shed a light on vibration from my left footpeg. In fact I am experiencing a some vibrations through the handle bars as well. It is pretty annoying as these vibrations is causing nuts to come loose and I have recently lost my tax disc holder and now checking all nuts and bolts fater each ride out

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration Through the Left Footpeg
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2012, 12:55:07 pm »
I have been reading the post by MadDogMcQ and I have also been recently Ivanised which may be causing the issues. The mechanic who did the work assured me he balanced the carbs and followed the instructions although he did tell me he didn't clip the springs. He said that would be pretty hard to get them the exact same length and couldn't really see the benefit although the coments on here say otherwise.

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 August 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
I have it too, but can't find where it's from.  :\

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2012, 02:39:03 pm »
Installed correctly, Ivan's kits don't cause vibration.  More often, the motor is smoother after being 'Ivanised'.

I'd be looking at chassis-related causes, also wheel balance, chain alignment and security of engine and exhaust mounts.

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2012, 03:09:02 pm »
Mike.... your only a genius that's all.  :)

I've recently had two new tyres fitted and wheels balanced, after which I got the left footrest vibes. Since reading your post I've just taken a look at my silencer which had been knocked and repositioned -presumably during the rear wheel refitting. It was standing away from the bike somewhat more than before. I've pushed it back into it's original spot and from the short run up the street and back it appears the vibes have diminished. Well by 'eck!

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2012, 03:13:39 pm »
I'm with Mike, my bike has been silky smooth since he worked his magic on it. 
Suspension next for me Mike, as you have done more mods than most to your bike over the years what do you recommend.  (Not looking to do the R1 fork conversion though) 

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2012, 03:14:50 pm »
I also has two new tryes fitted, Pirelli Diablo Strada's which were balanced. The vibration didn't start until after being Ivanised so I will check the chain etc.
If they the Ivans kit was fitted incorrectly is it easy enough to do it again as drilling has taken place etc

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2012, 03:16:50 pm »
Mike...do you ever come to Glasgow to do work

sd1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2012, 08:06:57 pm »
Might be well of the mark here, but my fzs600s centre stand rubber was missing and it was just touching the left foot peg, and other side was touching exhaust, that gave some pretty weird vibrations through the bike, mainly the left peg.
Cheers

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 August 2012, 05:23:14 am »
I also has two new tryes fitted, Pirelli Diablo Strada's which were balanced. The vibration didn't start until after being Ivanised so I will check the chain etc.
If they the Ivans kit was fitted incorrectly is it easy enough to do it again as drilling has taken place etc

Just 'cos the tyres were balanced doesn't mean that they're still balanced.  Weights fall off, tha' knows. :)

As for Ivan's installation, if the holes have been drilled incorrectly, most times you're stuffed.  The exception would be if the pilot circuit bypass holes haven't been completely drilled through.  In this case, a few more turns with the drill bit would be enough to rectify the situation.

I have worked in Glasgow/Scotland a couple of times but the majority of my bookings come from much further south.  Driving distances are a big factor in planning my trips, as you'll appreciate. :)

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2012, 07:24:26 pm »
At the speed everything spins,wheels,sprockets,chains on fast bikes there is no room for an out of balance part,or rattle of a part,

have you ever looked down at the ground when doing 140 mph,,shit, things are spinning :eek
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2012, 09:39:24 am »

Just 'cos the tyres were balanced doesn't mean that they're still balanced.  Weights fall off, tha' knows. :)

As for Ivan's installation, if the holes have been drilled incorrectly, most times you're stuffed.  The exception would be if the pilot circuit bypass holes haven't been completely drilled through.  In this case, a few more turns with the drill bit would be enough to rectify the situation.

I have worked in Glasgow/Scotland a couple of times but the majority of my bookings come from much further south.  Driving distances are a big factor in planning my trips, as you'll appreciate. :)

Checked all the engine mounts bolts chain exhaust etc no loose bits. I did detect a slight movement in the left peg so maybe thats what the cause is. I have the slip on version and not the full monty and the bike has been dyno tested at 135bhp so I can probably rule out the pilot holes not been drilled through properly as I would assume this would affect the output. The only thing I thnk the mechanic didnt do was clip the springs so I may do that myself if it will make a big difference to the throttle response

Thanks for the advice

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2012, 03:14:45 pm »
Another cause of the type of vibration you are taking about includes incorrect tension on your Exup valve control cables.