Date: 02-05-24  Time: 05:30 am

Author Topic: tank slapper help needed  (Read 3401 times)

busajohn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
tank slapper help needed
« on: 22 July 2012, 08:26:24 pm »
Hi everyone.. went on a ride today from warwickshire to skeggy.. thru the lanes ...at speed my handle bars want to wobble buy slowed down it wasnt the road it dunit a few times today..i think i need a damper but not sure what to buy ..on a budget...i also need a power cmmander anyone tell me what model to look for and what models it fits so i can ebay it..cheers everyone...safe riding..i have a fz1n 06 plate
« Last Edit: 22 July 2012, 08:30:54 pm by busajohn »

busajohn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: tank slapper help needed
« Reply #1 on: 23 July 2012, 11:49:10 am »
no replies..

rjd1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 July 2012, 12:12:07 pm »
standard bars ?
fairing or not?

busajohn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 July 2012, 02:22:55 pm »
standard bars..fz1n naked 2006

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 July 2012, 05:28:58 pm »
silly question - is the pressure in the front tyre correct?

I had the same problem and most of the advice I got meant stripping out the front end and replacing just about everything!!! (peoples opinions differ)

turns out the pressure in the front tyre was WAAAAAAYYYYY down. Inflated and was fine!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

busajohn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 July 2012, 05:57:45 pm »
yes checked it b4 the run to skeggy..42 rear 36 front ..

rjd1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2012, 07:25:43 pm »
could be a multitude of things
tyre pressure
tyre knackered
bar end weights
cross winds
leant back a bit more than normal
oil need`s changin in front fork`s
only bike i ever had bother wie tank slappers was a blade,
i`d keep tryin same stretch of road it happened on could just be somit simple
check the simple things 1st before spendin

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 July 2012, 08:04:32 pm »
could be a multitude of things
bar end weights

Nonsense....

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 July 2012, 09:34:09 pm »
Have you set up the suspension yet?

busajohn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2012, 10:21:43 pm »
Have you set up the suspension yet?
no rear is set to hard as i take misses on ...not the front.as for tyres there new dunlops...

rjd1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 July 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
ok if bar end WEIGHT`S is nonsence clue is in the name try removing one and go for a ride, was tryin to help eliminate faults for the man ffs,
if you have any thing positive to add lets hear it

Rustyz nutzz

• CBT Wobbler
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - R1 - modified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 July 2012, 03:00:28 am »
You 2 suspension set up's one for solo riding and one for you and the good lady.

To stop your tank slappers or bar wobbles do the following;

1/ Decrease front rebound , the slot in the middle on the top of your forks ( anti clockwise about 3-4 clicks or half a turn out)
2/Increase the rear rebound ( normally on the bottom of a shock slotted for your screwdriver take it clockwise=harder in about 2-3 turns)
3/ Rear compression on the top of your rear shock(if you have that on it- turn it in/clockwise about 1/2 turn 3 clicks)
4/ Lower the front ( drop the forks through about 2mm at a time max of 4mm) or raise the rear a few m.

Tyre pressures as already said make sure you have them at 36-42.

Bar weights will make the bars buzzy and give numb hands without , but won't make your bike tank slap.

I just read its a FZ1 n , I had one in 2006 and was the first guy in the uk to strip the airbox out and mod the fuelling and injection system to make it better and less snatchy.

The stock shock never gave me any tank slappers as I has set up the sag for me at 35mm for fast road and it worked, but the rear shock I binned as it was pathetic aftermarket or get it revalved and re-freshed imho. ( I do a lot of this  foc for mates)

Cheapest things to try is tyre pressures and then get it set up for you.

Any advice on set up you need let me know and i will get back to you when I can .

Safe riding. ;)

If it's got more than 2 wheels it's a car!

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2012, 06:40:13 am »
ok if bar end WEIGHT`S is nonsence clue is in the name try removing one and go for a ride, was tryin to help eliminate faults for the man ffs,
if you have any thing positive to add lets hear it

Well, I would vouch that eliminating silly red herrings is certainly positive and saves wasting time, so there you go.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 July 2012, 07:40:37 am »
one thing I would look at , after owning a flighty speed triple for 3 yrs, is not to have ur suspension set too hard. Reason being any bumps tend to jar thru the bike, and stubby bars can easily set up a tankslapper.The correct sag is essential for supernakeds, and the Fz-1 N is one of the fastest.My speedy would always be wanting to wheelie on any sort of power, windblast tends to sit u back in the bike...all of which makes these bikes slappy.I dont think the FZ-1 is particularly wheelie prone, but tbh not that many were sold, and few guys on here actually had the faired FZ-1( I did) let alone the naked version. So there is a paucity of info about.

busajohn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2012, 01:51:13 pm »
You 2 suspension set up's one for solo riding and one for you and the good lady.

To stop your tank slappers or bar wobbles do the following;

1/ Decrease front rebound , the slot in the middle on the top of your forks ( anti clockwise about 3-4 clicks or half a turn out)
2/Increase the rear rebound ( normally on the bottom of a shock slotted for your screwdriver take it clockwise=harder in about 2-3 turns)
3/ Rear compression on the top of your rear shock(if you have that on it- turn it in/clockwise about 1/2 turn 3 clicks)
4/ Lower the front ( drop the forks through about 2mm at a time max of 4mm) or raise the rear a few m.

Tyre pressures as already said make sure you have them at 36-42.

Bar weights will make the bars buzzy and give numb hands without , but won't make your bike tank slap.

I just read its a FZ1 n , I had one in 2006 and was the first guy in the uk to strip the airbox out and mod the fuelling and injection system to make it better and less snatchy.

The stock shock never gave me any tank slappers as I has set up the sag for me at 35mm for fast road and it worked, but the rear shock I binned as it was pathetic aftermarket or get it revalved and re-freshed imho. ( I do a lot of this  foc for mates)

Cheapest things to try is tyre pressures and then get it set up for you.

Any advice on set up you need let me know and i will get back to you when I can .

Safe riding. ;)

i have just been out on bike..with the other half..went faster than the skeggy run and really rock solid no wobble ..so its just with me on..and as for power commander i just wanted to know if any other model bike pc would fit mine , fitted a can (pic ) its popping ..farting ..really bad ...thanks everyone for your help

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2012, 08:27:53 pm »
The popping is caused by air being drawn in by the AIS.
From memory on the left hand side under the airbox and tank there is a rubber hose going downward toward the engine somewhere.
Unclip it, stuff a suitable bung in the pipe ( a marble works well) and connect the pipe back up and hey presto no more backfiring!

Get the front suspension set up and you should be good to go.

busajohn

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2012, 08:33:44 pm »
a big thanks to you all for your help..nice one everyone...safe riding