Bikes, Hints'n'Tips > Fazer 1000/FZ1 corner

New battery

<< < (2/4) > >>

b1k3rdude:

--- Quote from: bigfootpete on 16 April 2018, 06:52:52 pm ---Hmmm, have alternators on bikes changed that much?
I'm checking with a mate who has built his own electric bike and will let you know what he thinks.
--- End quote ---
Your not seeing the larger issue fella, Lithium batteries typically need an intelligent charging system (Charging Algorithm that monitors and analyses), in simple terms - 

1. The charging system will start supplying constant current.
2. then it will then ramp down the current and switch to constant voltage mode.

Now LiPo4 might be different and the following link suggests it should be possible use these as drop in replacements with caveats -

https://earthxbatteries.com/engine-charging-systems-use-lithium-batteries

Spoke to yamaha Uk and there is one bike on their roster that has a Lithium battery the yz450f, but this also comes with a separate external charger that is required if the battery voltage drop below a certain amount and enters sleep mode. You have to remove the battery, use the aforementioned charger before putting it back on the bike.

bigfootpete:
Heard back from my battery mad friend, he wasn't 100% sure about lithium batteries.

But he did say that they should not be overcharged or left to go flat. He also said that the bike will not check what voltage the battery is at so will just charge while you ride it until you stop.
So sounds like the possibility to overcharge will always be present... :(

Dudeofrude:
Personally my biggest concern with lithium batteries is their tendency to explode when pierced, not a great thing to have in something as delicate as a motorbike in my opinion. It's the same problem all these fancy new electric cars are going to have, catch them wrong in an accident and it's gonna look like a Hollywood car crash.
I know the chances any kind hitting them under your seat it quite minimal but it's still a risk

b1k3rdude:

--- Quote from: bigfootpete on 17 April 2018, 01:27:00 pm ---
* Heard back from my battery mad friend, he wasn't 100% sure about lithium batteries.
* But he did say that they should not be overcharged or left to go flat.
* He also said that the bike will not check what voltage the battery is at so will just charge while you ride it until you stop.
* So sounds like the possibility to overcharge will always be present... :(
--- End quote ---

* If the battery were a normal Lithium-Polymer (LiPo) like you get in phones, I would be 100% against. But its a different type Lithium iron Phosphate (LiFePho4) so I still think more online research and talking to reputable companies based in the UK maybe usefull.
* Yup,  as I read from the link I posted above.
* Yer, thats the biggest issue - hence my suggestion of finding a way to interface between the old skewl charging system on the bike and the battery with an intelligent one - assuming that can be done.
* yes and no, a lot of this LiFePo4 batteries have over-current and over-voltage protection built it (see here), we just need more information.Regarding the portability of such batteries in a motorcycle, the battery in the above link see - (IEC 6213 & UN 38), how ever these are not British or European certifications.

Moving on, did a search on youtupe for come LiPo to LiFePho4 comparisons -

- http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lithium+iron+phosphate+vs+lithium+ion

b1k3rdude:
Something else I have noticed about the battery yu bought, LiFePho4 has way more energy capacity in the same phyiscal space as a LeadAcid, so I think your getting short changed. That battery should be more than the 14Ah, at a guess something like 20Ah -

And while going through the list of Yt vids from the link I posted above I found one saying what I have been saying, you can not drop a LiFePho4 battery into a bike with a charging circuit design for LeadAcid -

-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version