Date: 30-04-24  Time: 13:47 pm

Author Topic: 142 bhp with custom fuel map  (Read 4063 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
142 bhp with custom fuel map
« on: 10 July 2015, 08:10:07 pm »
Thats my dyno figure,  142 bhp with the following mods and custom fuel map to suit,
K & N filter,
O2 eliminator
De catted down pipes
Lars airbox mod,
STANDARD exhaust can with no exup valve.

I know the standard can is an ugly heavy lump, like me, but just cannot get on with aftermarket cans anymore, I just find the noise too intrusive and it detracts from me enjoying the bike.I think that bhp figure is pretty good considering it is with a standard can but torque was only 69, I thought that would have been more.

The custom map that was done for me is perfect, the bike is so smooth and picks up and accelerates so much better, I should of done this 9 months ago instead of pissing about with other peoples maps :\

The map and dyno work were done by Gavin at RaceHQ  in Leeds ,cost £120 and he did over a dozen dyno runs, definitely go there again ,nice and friendly and more than capable. I originaly went there to ask about an ECU reflash but he doesn't do them for the FZ1 as he does not have the software to do it, he mainly does R1s, Fireblades.

And a picture with the standard can on so you can take the piss :)

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: 142 bhp with custom fuel map
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2015, 09:07:29 pm »
If you are a happy chappy then that's what it's all about, get on and enjoy it,,

they are a bit of a monster though,,big grins all round.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2015, 10:01:42 pm »
142bhp - that's great.

Any chance of an copy of the map? :rollin

Just like you i can't be arsed with aftermarket cans, they attract too much attention and get on my nerves.

Gen2 8)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2015, 11:08:05 pm »
You tried various maps before and now you reckon this is better so id be inclined to believe you on the end result.

My bike could have 120bhp for all i know & id be none the wiser because it is substantially faster than the bike before it....all i know is that it is foccing fast.

In perspective then surely it is about right....brooker got the magic 150 but then yours is only 8 HP away from that.......lets say you got 2hp from an end can & another 2 hp from some akro or arrow downpipes then youd be 4hp away from that.....thats how close it all is......just its allot of money to get those last HP squeezed out.

Just as well im nowhere near a dyno or id be tempted to spend the dosh just for a run to find out.

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2015, 09:35:54 am »
142bhp - that's great.

Any chance of an copy of the map? :rollin

Just like you i can't be arsed with aftermarket cans, they attract too much attention and get on my nerves.

Gen2 8)

As soon as I get time I will download the map onto my laptop then if anybody wants to try it they can, probably won't be till next wednesday/thursday as busy until then.
One other thing I forgot to mention in my original post was that Gavin who did the map on the dyno said that the map I was using when I took it to him was running quite lean and that was a pc3 map from their website , so anyone with a more free flowing filter such as a k & n and aftermarket end can is probably running lean as well. If I remember right devilysam has mentioned that  would happen with even the slight mods that I have made.

And noggy you are right, how much money do you have to spend to get 150bhp, I was chasing a blade yesterday , yeah I should know better at my age, and kept with him easily and the guy is a lot better rider than me, he might not have been trying hard though :)

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2015, 10:40:41 am »
Expect upto 5% variation between dynos - calibration to any standard between devices will always be difficult. Don't forget air pressure variations and ambient temps will affect results too.

to be within 6% of each other is probably realistic. The AF plots are the dominant measure of how well the tune went. Both you and broooker have talked about mixture, so the operators were obviously right on that. The figures are excellent when you think the engine that this is derived from revs significantly higher and in the FZ1 it's somewhat compromised by it's change in tune.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2015, 07:03:55 am »
You have got to get your head round that can,,it will be as heavy as a small child on the back,,a replacement can does not have to be noisy,their is a baffle inside.Get a free flowing air filter and can and will find another 3 or 4 bhp
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 July 2015, 10:39:53 am »
Got me wanting a dyno run now, luckily my nearest one is about 2.5 hours away.

What i dont understand though is where and how the dyno tuner actually creates the new map......is he plugging in to the power commander because thats where maps live or does he create the map on his dyno computer and then just transfer it to the power commander.

Can you specify to them that you want it tuned for torque over peak power so like do a run at peak power adjustments just to see what it has.........but then almost de tune it for peak torque?????? :think
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 July 2015, 11:16:23 am »
On mine he adjusted the map already in, I suppose he was using that as his base line.
You can adjust the map yourself on a laptop / computer, all you have to do is open the map and change the figures minus or plus depending what you think you have to change but without a dyno how do you know if what you have changed is for the better or worse? The maps I have tried in the past that is exactly what other people have done and you would have to be very lucky to make improvements without  a few dyno runs.
I suppose the tuner will do what you want but that way might compromise other parts of the fuel map maybe?

I am lucky their are two decent dyno places near me , the other one being at Jordans Bikes , they have dyno days a couple of times a year and next one they hold I plan to get mine done just to compare a diferent dyno and conditions, it is just a power run for about £15.

As for the end can I have tried a Delkevic, Akrapovic, Blueflame, Micron and a Beowulf all with the baffles in and the Blueflame was the quietest but still got on my tits after 50 miles, the Micron looked great but the noise was so loud it was embarassing.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2015, 06:20:02 pm »
Was the mapping work done thru a PCV or direct to the ECU? cheers
Still a pupil at the school of life ....

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 September 2015, 08:50:48 pm »
Apologies for the late reply, been on holiday.
My map was loaded to my Juicebox Pro which is basically a PC3, could not get it mapped to the ECU as the guy I used did not have the neccesary software, an ECU reflash was my preferred option but it wasn't to be.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2015, 07:30:06 pm »
Hope you had a good holiday - thanks for the reply
Still a pupil at the school of life ....

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2015, 10:24:42 am »
Have you considered ear plugs?

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2015, 10:29:05 am »
Wear earplugs all the time, good quality ones " borrowed" from work, but the noise still annoys me, just another sign of getting old :)

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2015, 12:30:55 pm »
Justification to keep hold of my immaculate, in the fastest colour silver Gen1 with 140bhp at the back wheel.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 September 2015, 05:02:12 pm »
Must admit wish I could have kept my gen1 and had a gen1 and a gen2 in my garage.