Date: 18-05-24  Time: 02:49 am

Author Topic: Insurance... GROAN!!!  (Read 3089 times)

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Insurance... GROAN!!!
« on: 18 June 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
Ok, who are you with and how much? Have you admitted to any mods and how much did it, if any did it go up by?
I'm fed up with trolling through web pages only to say I've R1 forks and for them to say they can't quote

Thanks in advance,   Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance... GROAN!!!
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2015, 09:40:42 pm »
  • Ok, who are you with and how much?
  • Have you admitted to any mods and how much did it, if any did it go up by?
  • Bennets, £250 inc breakdown for both my Fazer and the Bandit.
  • yes on both bikes, and no increase.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2015, 10:17:53 pm »
Seems good value.  My last insurance was under £190 and was for 15 months.  I got the reminder through today but without a price. 
I'm just looking around.
I have had all the usual mods done.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2015, 09:15:28 am »
I'm over 40, have max NCB (actually 12yrs) and my location helps.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2015, 09:53:39 am »
I'm with Hastings, ~£80 fully comp but with no extras, I'm also over 40 with max NCB.

I have declared the Ivans mod on the basis that if I need to claim and they find this type of mod on the bike they may refuse to pay out. They checked with the underwriters who said that given my age and experience they had no problem with the mod, and I've checked that this is on my records with them.

I also declared my Nitron shock in the vague hope that if I need to make a claim they would cover the extra cost of replacing it.

Every other mod I told them about they said if it's like for like (indicators / end can / levers / seat / brake lines / screen ....) then I don't need to declare it.

I've had to make a claim with Hastings previously and it couldn't really have been any smoother, so they get my vote and repeat business.

I did check out Bennett's previously, they have a list of like for like mods that they will allow and anything not on the list you need to declare, once you do the price goes up considerably and when I asked about the Ivans mod a lot of teeth sucking happened to the point where I said don't bother.
« Last Edit: 19 June 2015, 09:54:10 am by PieEater »

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2015, 01:30:08 pm »
I did check out Bennett's previously, they have a list of like for like mods that they will allow and anything not on the list you need to declare, once you do the price goes up considerably and when I asked about the Ivans mod a lot of teeth sucking happened to the point where I said don't bother.
I told them categorically if they raised my premium because of said items I would be going elsewhere.

You must live out in the middle of nowhere to get such a good premium.

Falco9

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2015, 01:52:10 pm »
I'm with Hastings, ~£80 fully comp but with no extras, I'm also over 40 with max NCB.

I have declared the Ivans mod on the basis that if I need to claim and they find this type of mod on the bike they may refuse to pay out. They checked with the underwriters who said that given my age and experience they had no problem with the mod, and I've checked that this is on my records with them.

I also declared my Nitron shock in the vague hope that if I need to make a claim they would cover the extra cost of replacing it.

Every other mod I told them about they said if it's like for like (indicators / end can / levers / seat / brake lines / screen ....) then I don't need to declare it.

I've had to make a claim with Hastings previously and it couldn't really have been any smoother, so they get my vote and repeat business.

My insurance is due later this month and Mike "Ivanised" my bike a couple of months back. I was going to declare it, but after thinking about it I've come to the conclusion that unless they removed the carbs and had them inspected by an expert I don't see how they could ever tell it'd been done. On the basis that I don't believe that would ever happen I think I'm going to keep my mouth shut. That's said I'm with BikeSure and they are pretty good on the "modification" side of things so...............
« Last Edit: 19 June 2015, 01:53:59 pm by Falco9 »
I've spent 40yrs riding motorcycles...............the rest I've wasted...

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2015, 01:59:12 pm »
Hastings for me for the second year £118 fully comp a £7 increase on the previous year ,live in a large town and have full bonus

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2015, 03:00:16 pm »
I've got fully comp on my Fazer and a GSXR 1000 K7 for £180  :D  That's with Bikesure and I'm over 40 with full (well the max they give is 9 years) no claims.
No increase for adding the Fazer but I'm dreading what it'll be when I get the new Ducati  :eek

Steve

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2015, 03:20:40 pm »

I think I'll give Hastings a call. I'm with MCE at the moment and have just been quoted £156 Fully Comp.

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2015, 03:46:21 pm »
I think I'll give Hastings a call. I'm with MCE at the moment and have just been quoted £156 Fully Comp.
If you call them and take out a policy over the phone you'll pay a surcharge. Either use one of the price comparison websites or Hastings site to put all your details in then call them with the generated quote reference and say that you just wanted to go through the details, make sure the price was correct and declare any mods ......... that way you won't pay the surcharge.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2015, 04:12:37 pm »
If you call them and take out a policy over the phone you'll pay a surcharge. Either use one of the price comparison websites or Hastings site to put all your details in then call them with the generated quote reference and say that you just wanted to go through the details, make sure the price was correct and declare any mods ......... that way you won't pay the surcharge.
I've just been quoted £119.39. The chap said i wouldn't be charged the surcharge.
I've a few more to try but so fart they will probably get my money.

nsr500v4

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2015, 04:28:22 pm »
£108 with hastings fully comp, happy days, ok am getting on and live between glasgow and edinburgh, but i aint compaining at £108.....

PieEater

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 June 2015, 05:04:02 pm »
I've just been quoted £119.39. The chap said i wouldn't be charged the surcharge.
I've a few more to try but so fart they will probably get my money.
Yeah not worth making a stink over a few quid  :rollin

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 June 2015, 05:47:40 pm »
That's what I thought. 

Simmitysam

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21 June 2015, 11:30:26 am »
I am with bennetts on bike I just px'd for a 2011 fazer. I rang them to change cover and was told old policy would need to be cancelled and new one started. Went through the usual quote gibbons and was given a quote for £538....! Went online and after reading here did Hastings £470...! Finally went and did quote online with bennetts and got better cover than on phone for £360.

Why is online over £150 cheaper? Called them to cancel old policy and gave new number to avoid charge.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 June 2015, 11:54:27 am »
Absolutely madness to be charged that much more. 

mark g

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TY250 Trails bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 June 2015, 05:21:02 pm »
bennetts £100 fully comp. just over 50 so I guess that helps, I'm going to Ivanise my carbs soon but I won't be telling them either, as already been said they will never know