Date: 01-05-24  Time: 14:45 pm

Author Topic: Rain, trousers and GhostBikes in Preston, Lancs  (Read 2385 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
Rain, trousers and GhostBikes in Preston, Lancs
« on: 07 October 2014, 08:56:10 pm »
I advised the company that I was going to share my experience with their Customer Services - they said "we're not going to stop you Sir" - so here you go...
This is not a review, this is a chronology of factual events relating to a real life transaction:-

I purchased a waterproof jacket and trousers from GhostBikes in Preston, Lancs. They also trade via eBay and have their web portal. The Armour suit was £180 for the jacket and £99 for the trousers. The trousers have a tag , several tags, promoting the waterproof membrane "water barrier". The labels go on to give a breakdown of innovative materials to help breath and keep water firmly out. I bought the suit in May this year.

I have never used the suit in the rain - I've been lucky or the rain has stayed away - until this week. Come rain, sat on the bike during a 30 minute journey , I got to work and my legs and bottom were soaked. Not damp, soaked. I contacted GhostBikes and was told that as I had used the product and owned it for more than 30 days they would not offer a refund but would return them to the manufacturer for "testing". I contacted Trading Standards and spoke to a nice lady who advised that there was a 60 day statutory consumer law rule that required, for a period of 60 days from purchase, items to be of merchantable quality and fit for their intended purpose.  Further, trading standards stated that the vendor (GhostBikes) was entitled to return the good to the manufacturer but the consumer must not be charged for the return to the manufacturer, and  must not be inconvenienced.  Well if I had no waterproof pants in rain then I'd call that inconvenienced. I got back on the phone to GhostBikes

GhostBikes put their "Manager" on the phone who simply repeated their previous line.  They would return the trousers to the manufacturer. I explained that I would be inconvenienced and could they lend me a pair , any pair lying around , perhaps a return or slightly damaged (label or something) pair. "NO! We cannot" was their response. I stated that they were in my view in breach of consumer law. They denied this and said there was no way I could be lent a pair of trousers. I said I would get back onto trading standards and reserve the right to reject the goods through the small claims court. "We are not stopping you Sir" was their response.

I am now considering my options

But if you are thinking of purchasing "waterproof" trousers as the decidedly autumninal/wintery chill takes a grip, then you may want to take a jug of water with you, pour  over the pants, wait 10 minutes and then buy them if they work. Otherwise you could be throwing your CA$H away!

Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
Re: Rain, trousers and GhostBikes in Preston, Lancs
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2014, 09:19:01 pm »
just sharing a real life experience. In 30 years riding, waterproofs have been water proof! Maybe I've been lucky or maybe they dont make em as good as they used to.Also disappointed at GhostBikes ; you tend to find bike shops are more friendly and supportive than car sales/shop lot; the "biker community commarade" and all that .
Three lefts make a right

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2014, 09:24:28 pm »
As a flip to this thread I bought a one piece winter outfit from Raceways in Fleetwood stating waterproof, windproof yada, yada.

It was toasty warm, and incredibly comfy........ until 3 or 4 weeks later it rained. I got soaked in minutes.:(

Took it back and explained this to the clothing sales department who said yep, full refund, no problem. And sorted it out on the spot.

They're not all cnuts.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2014, 09:31:59 pm »
so there we are. word of mouth for Raceways Fleetwood. Crazy innit - in this day and age of the web, why a retailer would not want to help you out to avoid these sorts of threads. And more positively, why a retailer WOULD want to help you out. next time, I'm off to Raceways !
Three lefts make a right

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2014, 10:19:00 pm »

I think i see the flaw here.......all of you are wearing waterproof pants instead of waterproof trousers :b ..

But at least you'll all have dry bollocks! :fish
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2014, 10:20:58 pm »

....But at least you'll all have dry bollocks!
:fish
mine are too big to fit in pants - i need XXXXL trousers!
Three lefts make a right

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2014, 11:21:05 pm »
Just for clarity ,the inconvenience part is not unduly delaying the turnaround of the repair
No idea where the 60 day bit TS advised refers ?? Fit for purpose is fit for purpose and should last the reasonable life of the item
Not lending a pair of waterproofs is just a bad service call on their part IMHO but it is not a requirement under law
Sending the item for repair will be the manufacturer's warranty condition not GBikes

Its just a ride

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2014, 11:42:57 pm »
As I understood it, whenever you bought anything from a shop, you are dealing with the shop, not the manufacturer. It is the shops responsibility to either give a replacement or a refund as the goods sold were not fit for purpose.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2014, 06:54:35 am »
Wrong!

the SoG act clauses (i will get the numbers later) state clearly (although you have to xref sections)..
A)The consumer must not be inconvenienced or charged for a 'test'
B) sixty days from purchase is the time frame for complaining if the complaint relates to the fit for purposeness
C) the retailer is entitled to 'test' the item within a reasonable time frame and this includes sending the item back to the manufacturer

Correct!
There is no requirement to lend anything,
Three lefts make a right

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2014, 09:35:58 am »
just sharing a real life experience. In 30 years riding, waterproofs have been water proof! Maybe I've been lucky

You have been very lucky! I have found that the cheap plastic coated waterproofs will keep you dry but you sweat and they end up wet on the inside anyway with condensation. Breathable jackets and trousers tend to be waterproof to a certain point unless you are spending £500 plus on goretex type clothing and even then you hear of some failing but at least they have a lifetime guarantee.

Good to see Raceways getting a mention, but they are a proper family run bike shop. Ghost bikes are a cheap and cheerful bulk seller operating out of a back street industrial unit. I use both but you pays your money and takes your choice.