Date: 27-05-24  Time: 17:32 pm

Author Topic: Back to Back shock test  (Read 3565 times)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Back to Back shock test
« on: 22 January 2012, 05:55:03 pm »
Back to back shock test.

We all know about the standard Mk1 Fazer shock so I'll not go into to much detail apart from the fact that it was a bit wooly, soft with not a lot of adjustment if you wanted a firmer ride. For a 150lbs of rider like myself it was okay but not up to the job when pushed hard, or with luggage or pillion.

That standard shock went last year with the replacement of R1 forks and a re-spring re-gased standard rear Fazer unit. The spring fitted is an Ohlins 01091-12/85 L474. The shock is good but would be more suited to a heavier rider (160-180lbs). Remember I'm a lightweight but I have been known to push a bike hard. When riden hard the re-sprung shock is brilliant, though a little on the firm side. The shock gives plenty of feedback but because of my light weight it was very easy to get the back end out if you were heavy fisted in any way The shock is way to stiff for my light weight. Two up this wasn't a problem and the shock copes very well. Good with luggage or pillion. I'd recommend this mod for riders over 160-180 lbs.

On to the new Devilsyam shock upgrade.

Feedback from my seven year old daughter after a ride out this afternoon went something like this...
... It's not as bumpy and dosn't kick you up the bum like before. It's realy smooth. The back doesn't squish in the corners when you go faster but you can feel all the bumps and... ripples in the road. Really cool! It's a lighter shock... you can tell when you pick them both up, and it's got less whirly (coils in the spring) bits. And the springy bit is a different yellow. lol

Initialy I would say the bike is transformed and it's certainly way better than the skock shock in terms of feedback and grip I can't coment on what it's like with the standard forks but I'm sure it'll be an improvement. Next time out I'll do a longer solo run and maybe change some settings. I also need to have another go at adjusting the sag.

Original shock 5/10
Ohlins spring shock 7/10 (could be 8/10 for heavier rider).
R6 shock 9/10 (only because I've not set it up how I like it yet. Could be 10/10 once sorted).

Watch this space.

« Last Edit: 23 January 2012, 05:32:50 pm by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Back to Back shock test
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2012, 01:39:14 pm »
glad you and little un like it ad's
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2012, 06:27:20 pm »
shes a bit young to be riding a fazer 1000 ?? :rolleyes

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2012, 09:21:58 pm »
shes a bit young to be riding a fazer 1000 ?? :rolleyes

She was on the back ya plonker  :lol

I was pretty impressed with her feedback though. Spot on.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2012, 08:08:22 am »
KK,  I've got a shock on the way from DevilsYam.  Can you ask your daughter for her consultancy rates to help me set up my shock?  I've been looking for a decent suspension expert for ages  ;)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2012, 05:29:34 pm »
Ad, try reducing the preload to 3 off minimum.  I did that on mine today and it feels nicely compliant but well-controlled.  You're a stone lighter than me, so certainly worth trying.

Very good value for money mod, this is. :)

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2012, 05:39:10 pm »
KK,  I've got a shock on the way from DevilsYam.  Can you ask your daughter for her consultancy rates to help me set up my shock?  I've been looking for a decent suspension expert for ages  ;)

:lol

Where abouts are you and how much money you got. She don't come cheap. I asked her out of interest thinking it was a dumb question for a seven year old. I was well impressed at her answer seeing it's only about the forth time she's been on the back of the Fazer. Her pillion outings are usualy restricted to rides around the back garden on the ickle Hyosung.

Next she want's to ride my little Polini mini moto. But every time I start it she puts her fingers in her ears and shouts "TOO LOUD DAD".

:lol

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2012, 06:44:23 pm »
Please someone clarify, re preload . When I had my 1000 shock re gassed by Revvs racing , I had a long conversation with the owner.
He reconned that the pre load C adjustment is to set sag only! He implied that it does not make any difference to spring rate .Other posters seem to indicate that it does ? Are shock springs progressive if they are not. ajusting should not "in my basic understanding,"effect the percieved hardness or softness of the spring.
Can of worms here I am sure !

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2012, 07:33:58 pm »
ring me as answer is simples 07736008778
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2012, 08:13:09 pm »
He implied that it does not make any difference to spring rate.

He's totally correct, doesn't change the spring rate at all.  However, go try a little test for yourself ...

Leave the damping settings alone but adjust the preload to max on either of your Fazers.  Bounce the seat and get a feel for how much effort is required to get the rear end pressed down.

Now set the preload to minimum and repeat.  Should feel a lot easier, although the stock Gen 1 spring is pretty darn feeble.

That's a very simplistic test and I haven't even mentioned the importance of setting the correct amount of sag.  I just wanted to get across the idea that the perceived feel of hard/soft can be influenced by the preload setting. :)

dekker555

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2012, 08:18:58 pm »
I totally agree with Revvs Racing, you can't alter a springs rate. The spring rate is designed into the spring, and is the product of the spring wire diameter, the spring diameter, it's lenght and number of coils. The term "Preload" seems to sugest the amount of load (compression) thats on the static spring.
To answer another question here, some springs are Progressive and others are not (Linear), the visual difference being that the Linear spring has it's coils all equal distant, and the Progressive spring has some coils closer than others. Apologies if I am teaching any of you to suck eggs. Hope that helps others.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2012, 08:48:29 pm »
Cheers Mike.

The answer is 9kg out of sag  :lol

That's the weight of my combined riding gear... Lid, gloves, boots, trousers and jacket, plus a pocket full of change. So re-adjusted for sag with two 4.3kg York weights in a rucksack. Hey presto! Sag sorted. Preload was already set to three from min (Well done Luke bud).

So if you're sorting your saggy bits remember to take into account the weight of your riding gear aswell. It makes a difference.

Just waiting for the weekend now. Anyone wanna come out to play  :lol

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2012, 09:14:10 pm »
Seems, as Revvs said, Use the c pre load ajuster to set Sag only. Then get the buttmeter right with the gas compression and rebound adjusters !