Date: 27-04-24  Time: 17:00 pm

Author Topic: Low rev rattle. Should I be worried?  (Read 9438 times)

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Low rev rattle. Should I be worried?
« on: 29 August 2014, 02:57:46 pm »
Hi. I have a low rev rattle that suddenly appeared a couple of days ago. It disappears at about 3500 rpm. Any ideas? I'm thinking it might be the cam chain?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Low rev rattle. Should I be worried?
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2014, 03:30:43 pm »
Do a search on YouTube and compare noises.

This is probably the best cam chain noise video, when he stops revving the nuts off it.

« Last Edit: 29 August 2014, 03:40:14 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2014, 05:11:41 pm »
That sounds identical. I have a spare engine that I'm planning to rebuild. Any suggestions on the most competitively priced cam chain sets?

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2014, 09:20:00 pm »
might be the tensioner.

rev the arse off while riding in 2nd , high as safe revs go, on a quiet road with no traffic (!) , then off the revs sharpish.

this should move the tensioner to the next notch

try this before you rebuild the engine !
Three lefts make a right

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2014, 09:29:43 pm »
Or a quicker way....

Engine and ignition off whilst on the road/ driveway, stick it in 2nd, pull clutch in, go backwards as fast as your little duck feet can travel then let the clutch out sharply. This should notch the tensioner up if there's any left on it.
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 August 2014, 11:48:00 pm »
Or a quicker way....

Engine and ignition off whilst on the road/ driveway, stick it in 2nd, pull clutch in, go backwards as fast as your little duck feet can travel then let the clutch out sharply. This should notch the tensioner up if there's any left on it.

I prefer my option... Because i found it easier to get someone to push the bike backwards fast until i dropped the clutch, alas my wife complained about tyre imprints over her dress whilst lying on the road  :lol
Three lefts make a right

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2014, 12:19:21 am »
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus H - she thought her dress was more important than the bike  :eek ..................do they moan about everything ? :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2014, 04:21:07 am »
A bit of cam chain noise is normal. Does the noise go away when you pull the clutch in?

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2014, 11:24:47 am »
The only thing that changes the noise is getting the revs over 3500.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2014, 11:33:14 am »
Have you tried the above and if so what happened
Three lefts make a right

paulchucky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - fzs1000 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2014, 10:04:15 am »
try this SIMPLE  trick !!

put it in 2nd or 3rd  without the engine running and push the bike backwards so the engine turns in reverse direction
dont need to push it far only about bikes length
it snatches and allows the auto  tensioner to jump which takes up any slack in camchain

it`s simple and it works  :) :) :) :)
waters wet, shit stinks !

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2014, 06:22:42 pm »
Tried the rev the arse off it. No different :-( maybe the adjuster is seized as the bike only has 20000 miles on it.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2014, 06:24:23 pm »
Adjusters don't seize . more like the technique is the problem. Try the tips identified above by foccers
Three lefts make a right

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2014, 04:20:58 pm »
Really? any moving part can seize. Especially when it hasn't been run in 2 years as mine hadn't before I got it on the road 3 months ago.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
I meant in normal riding. Clearly if it's been left for years then any moving part that normally has travel can seize , can, but this would require a combination of events such as air oxidising metal, lubricant dissolving away or hardening up, lots of things too numerous to mention. But I was referring specifically to the cam tensioner on a fz  which I personally have never come across a seized one but if you think about where it is and what it is, this isn't surprising to me and I've had bikes , albeit not fz , bought after being garaged or neglected outside for many years, still never come across a seized cam adjuster.
More likely to be the technique being used or a worn chain with all the slack already taken up. The OP still hasn't confirmed use of all suggestions posted by foccers , as above
Three lefts make a right

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 14 September 2014, 10:39:45 pm »
Tweetytek
All suggestions have been tried exactly as described. As a 20 year veteran of the motor trade I've seen all sorts of "can't happen" things. Not sure if it was meant to be but I found your post condescending. People come to forums to share ideas and ask for help,  not to be spoken to/about like a 5 year old. Apologies if I have this wrong. Just the way your post comes across.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2014, 06:28:10 am »
What mileage is on the bike? The chain could be stretched as far as the adjuster can go. The only way to know for sure is to take the tensioner out and check how far it's advanced. To get the tensioner out you'll have to take the carbs out which is annoying but it has to be done. Take the large centre bolt out of the tensioner first, then the two allen head bolts. Taking the centre bolt out first removes the spring pressure from the tensioner so it stays on the same adjustment notch so you can check it.

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2014, 04:06:53 pm »
Not sure about mileage as engine was swapped by previous owner :-(  I have a spare engine that I'm planning to rebuild. Going to spend a day or two stripping it down and checking the tolerances. But I know that the cam chain on it is still good as I took the tensioner out last week to see what could go wrong with it and forgot to remove the centre bolt. When it came out it extended by 4 or 5 teeth so still quite a bit of movement available. As long as everything is good I'll fit the lump to the bike and see what's what! 

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 September 2014, 07:49:22 pm »
Update: Began stripping the spare engine this afternoon, checked the chain and engine timing first. Chain was less than half worn according to the amount of adjustment left over. Timing was out by a couple of degrees but nothing major. Camshafts not exhibiting any wear, followers in good condition. Head gasket not blown pistons in good order, no play in gudgeon pins or big ends. Bores smooth, no gouges or steps. Ring gaps within tolerance. Just have to separate the crankcase halves tomorrow and check the crank bearings and journals. While I'm in there going to check the gearbox out and probably replace the clutch as well. Going to rebuild with all new seals and gaskets despite the adjustment available it would be madness not to replace the cam chain and tensioner blades. Quite excited about this as not rebuilt an engine in years. Also going to give it a good paint get it looking good as well. Might even go the whole hog and paint the whole bike once it goes back together! Who knows?! :D

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 September 2014, 08:10:43 pm »
Tweetytek
All suggestions have been tried exactly as described. As a 20 year veteran of the motor trade I've seen all sorts of "can't happen" things. Not sure if it was meant to be but I found your post condescending. People come to forums to share ideas and ask for help,  not to be spoken to/about like a 5 year old. Apologies if I have this wrong. Just the way your post comes across.
Sorry about that. I have no idea what your competence is , so if I'm teaching you to suck eggs in a particular domain then just frekin ignore me. Your perception is your reality but I wasn't talking to you like a 5 yr old... But as a 20 stobne heavy metal fan chain smoking tattooed headed fat bastard , I am not used to people giving me shit , I can be blunt and to the point ,  so maybe I do come across in a certain way but I never set out to disrespect or humiliate... So,That's my style. Once people get to know me I'm a gentle giant. Most people on this forum don't know me and I don't know them. Don't take me to heart. Glad to see your engine breakdown is going well and keep us updated.
Three lefts make a right

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 September 2014, 08:18:47 pm »
Tweetytek
Sorry about that. I have no idea what your competence is , so if I'm teaching you to suck eggs in a particular domain then just frekin ignore me. Your perception is your reality but I wasn't talking to you like a 5 yr old... But as a 20 stobne heavy metal fan chain smoking tattooed headed fat bastard , I am not used to people giving me shit , I can be blunt and to the point ,  so maybe I do come across in a certain way but I never set out to disrespect or humiliate... So,That's my style. Once people get to know me I'm a gentle giant. Most people on this forum don't know me and I don't know them. Don't take me to heart. Glad to see your engine breakdown is going well and keep us updated.
No dramas :)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 September 2014, 08:23:15 pm »
Lol. I don't think for a second anyone would call me a drama queen  :lol not to ma face anyway
Three lefts make a right

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2014, 10:31:14 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions as to where to buy a gasket set? Places I've looked either are expensive or not comprehensive enough.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 19 September 2014, 06:55:18 am by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

fuzzyfazer

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 September 2014, 06:19:14 am »
Right, next stupid question. Years ago I used to re-use the head gaskets on my big old singles and twins. Just used to anneal them first. The base and head gaskets I've retrieved from the spare engine I'm rebuilding hadnt been leaking and appear in decent condition. Can they be re - used or do I have to bite the financial bullet and just buy new?