Date: 04-05-24  Time: 08:28 am

Author Topic: Engine hunting  (Read 1657 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Engine hunting
« on: 13 September 2014, 12:06:39 am »
I have noticed that occasionally my FZ1 appears to be hunting, I am finding that the idle speed once warmed up is a bit irratic. It is nothing major but it is annoying. My idle speed setting is about 1050/1100 rpm.
I am aware the plugs have never been changed on this bike , now just on 12750 miles, I know they should be changed at 10k? yes?
Before I brought the bike down to Spain it was serviced and I asked for the plugs to be changed then. The service tech told me he had had the plugs out and they where like new.
The bike runs okay but now and again I get the feeling when I am tootling along the engine is hunting. I got my mate to ride it but he thinks it is my imagination. Having said that the same fella came back and did not want to give me the bike back, he said ride my 900 Hornet home for me and I will jst test it a bit more. Think I have found a buyer if I ever decide to sell.
His Hornet is nice but like all Hondas it was sending me to sleep
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Engine hunting
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2014, 12:10:28 am »
I wonder what my plugs are like, at 37k+ miles?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2014, 12:22:37 am »
I have noticed that occasionally my FZ1 appears to be hunting, I am finding that the idle speed once warmed up is a bit irratic. It is nothing major but it is annoying. My idle speed setting is about 1050/1100 rpm.
I am aware the plugs have never been changed on this bike , now just on 12750 miles, I know they should be changed at 10k? yes?
Before I brought the bike down to Spain it was serviced and I asked for the plugs to be changed then. The service tech told me he had had the plugs out and they where like new.
The bike runs okay but now and again I get the feeling when I am tootling along the engine is hunting. I got my mate to ride it but he thinks it is my imagination. Having said that the same fella came back and did not want to give me the bike back, he said ride my 900 Hornet home for me and I will jst test it a bit more. Think I have found a buyer if I ever decide to sell.
His Hornet is nice but like all Hondas it was sending me to sleep

RPM sounds too low to me, which would make it hunt.
I'd get it warmed up then try it around the 1200 - 1250 mark, or just nudge it up a tiny bit at a time and see if it improves things.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2014, 07:33:22 am »
Cheers Darrsi, I thought I had the ilde speed set okay, @1050/1100 just checked the book again 1100/1300rpm. 1050/1100 was for my SX muppet or what.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2014, 08:43:00 am »
The mechanic that looks after mine says all the R1-based engines hunt a little at idle. I'm not sure if he means later ones too, but if you put your hand over the exhaust, it stops doing it. I hadn't really noticed until he pointed it out to me. It's not a fault or a problem in the case of the earlier engines, FI may be different? Mine idles at somewhere around 1100 to 1200 rpm (but is, of course, a gen 1).

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2014, 09:19:56 am »
Throttle bodies may well need balancing