Date: 17-05-24  Time: 12:25 pm

Author Topic: Broken Chain  (Read 1368 times)

Fazer Forever

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Broken Chain
« on: 16 March 2014, 09:39:38 pm »
Ace ride-out today with some mates, ended on an AA truck with a broken chain for the last 5 miles home. Bugger!!!
Took out the water pump, double bugger!!!!!! Anyone got one going cheap near Leeds and recommendations for chain and sprocket kits
as there seems to be loads of options.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Broken Chain
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2014, 10:16:03 pm »
I've just fitted a did gold heavy duty chain, with did sprockets... So far so good, although it is a little louder than the oem  setup one I previously had fitted.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 March 2014, 05:18:43 am »
I've just fitted a did gold heavy duty chain, with did sprockets... So far so good, although it is a little louder than the oem  setup one I previously had fitted.

The noise will calm down after a little while, they are quite noisy when new.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2014, 06:49:16 pm »
Had this on mine, fixed it last weekend.
Water pump, clutch rod, front sprocket cover and a few other bits and pieces, plus i have a damaged right hand rear fairing, a hole in my undertray and a totally smashed chain guard - Sounds like you got 'lucky' lol

Fuzzy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2014, 12:51:05 am »
I've had 2 DID heavy duty chains and they have both developed multiple o-ring failures well before the rest of the chain has worn out. The first one was replaced by DID, and the replacement has recently developed the same issue. Carefully used different cleaners, products on both chains but same problem. My mechanic also had the same problem on his Fireblade.

Just a heads up. I might have been unlucky and the failures are not catastrophic but I would go with something else if you can.