Date: 05-05-24  Time: 20:05 pm

Author Topic: Chain and sprockets -- easy for a novice?  (Read 4301 times)

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Chain and sprockets -- easy for a novice?
« on: 19 March 2014, 01:50:20 pm »
After getting my rear tyre sorted (ahem), the garage said that my chain sprocket is very worn.

How easy is replacing the sprockets and chain for someone who is not a mechanic and doesn't have a workshop, etc? Or should I not be such a skinflint and stump up the cash for the garage to do it?!

Beeblebrox2nd

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Chain and sprockets -- easy for a novice?
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2014, 02:10:47 pm »
As someone who isn't a mechanic, and doesn't have a workshop, it's not easy.
You'll need some specific tools to cut the old chain and join the new one.
But then, I have a really good mechanic and don't mind paying him the £40 to do it. Plus, he provides free cups of tea to customers so I'm sold regardless!

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2014, 02:15:57 pm »
Yup, I'm with you on that one Beeblebrox....besides if you can't get the new chain on, or make an arse of it, you wont be able to drive it along to the garage and it'll cost you more in the long run.....get your hand in your pocket and get it done right.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2014, 02:16:38 pm by bigbluebear »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2014, 02:21:03 pm »
Changing the sprockets isn't overly difficult, but replacing the chain will be as you will require some special tools as mentioned before.

If you are a novice to mechanics and especially as you don't have a workshop (I'm guessing no garage either) then I'd suggest you get your mechanic to do it for you :)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2014, 02:25:47 pm »
having only done this to my bike a week or two ago, it is something I wouldnt attempt unless I had a garage or somewhere to do it. its not difficult really, but in my case there were one or two other things that cropped up which held me up, so it was nice to know it was in the garage and there was no pressure to do it in one day etc.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2014, 03:23:26 pm »
Thanks guys. Guess I will take it to the garage after all...

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2014, 09:11:14 pm »
Woah, woah, woah guys.

If you buy a continuous chain, that doesn't require riveting together, surely all you do is drop the rear wheel, pull the chain off the rear wheel and undo the front sprocket, pull chain out, and do it all in reverse?

I've had the rear wheel off (when I had my tyre changed), and it was a 1 man, with an extra hand of help to refit (doable alone, but not so easy). Assuming the OP is mechanically minded enough to do that, surely he could do the rest?

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2014, 09:30:32 pm »

If you buy a continuous chain, that doesn't require riveting together, surely all you do is drop the rear wheel, pull the chain off the rear wheel and undo the front sprocket, pull chain out, and do it all in reverse?

You forgot to mention that you also need to remove the swinging arm if fitting a continuous chain  :\ .

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2014, 09:35:03 pm »
Woah, woah, woah guys.

I've had the rear wheel off (when I had my tyre changed), and it was a 1 man, with an extra hand of help to refit (doable alone, but not so easy). Assuming the OP is mechanically minded enough to do that, surely he could do the rest?

If it was that easy why do people cut their chain off or need a riveting tool?
Also, if the front sprocket nut is siezed on you'll be doomed as well.
Get it done properly for peace of mind.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Timbollew

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2014, 02:14:44 am »
I'm gonna be giving it a go in the next 2-3 weeks. I've got a garage so no rush if I do run into something time consuming. I'm fairly handy, comfortable messing with the brakes and changing oil. Only one way to find out if I can do it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2014, 08:06:02 am »
I'm gonna be giving it a go in the next 2-3 weeks. I've got a garage so no rush if I do run into something time consuming. I'm fairly handy, comfortable messing with the brakes and changing oil. Only one way to find out if I can do it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm definitely interested in knowing how you get on. I think as I haven't got a garage, I'll get it done by the bike shop down the road.

Regarding riveting: why is that such a big deal?

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2014, 08:28:22 am »
Regarding riveting: why is that such a big deal?

If you don't get it right and the rivet link breaks you might end up with -

a) The chain shooting out the back of the bike
b) The chain wrapping itself round the front sprocket, probably taking a chunk of the engine casing with it...and maybe a bit of your ankle as well.
c) The chain wraps itself round the front sprocket and then locks the back wheel.  Not good at 70

Either option leaves you crying on the side of the road so it's best to get it done "properly". 

This thread has some evidence, no idea if the chain broke on the link but this is what can happen.
Still, if you're confident and take it slow and carefully I can't see why you can't do it yourself.  A dremel with a cutting wheel will get the chain off and a £25 riveter will do the joining. 

See 5 mins in on this vid
How to Replace and Rivet a Motorcycle Chain (DL650)

« Last Edit: 20 March 2014, 08:48:18 am by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 March 2014, 11:27:04 am »
Where are you in the country? 

If you want to learn how to maintain your bike I'm sure there are local (or not so local) Foccers who, for the price of a cup of tea, biscuits and/or bacon rolls  :) , would be willing to show you how its' done and have the correct tools to do the job.

is this not the reason we belong to such clubs for the info and help that people can provide and take the piss out of Christo obviously :lol

There are other options such as the Oval Motorcycle centre (http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/) that rent benches and tools by the hour and there are qualified mechanics on hand that can help. Maybe there is something similar nearer to you?

This is all dependant on you wanting to learn though

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 March 2014, 01:30:11 pm »
It most certainly is! Had a few meetups at my old place - removing and refitting Arfas front fairing, replacing bulbs in Exups clocks, balancing carbs on Lawrences bike, removing and relubing the calipers on Christos old 600

I myself had help from Lawrence and tony22 with borrowing tools and Exup has helped with labour when refitting my engine. We're all a friendly bunch willing to help on here :)

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 March 2014, 02:59:51 pm »
Where are you in the country? 

If you want to learn how to maintain your bike I'm sure there are local (or not so local) Foccers who, for the price of a cup of tea, biscuits and/or bacon rolls  :) , would be willing to show you how its' done and have the correct tools to do the job.

is this not the reason we belong to such clubs for the info and help that people can provide and take the piss out of Christo obviously :lol

There are other options such as the Oval Motorcycle centre (http://www.ovalmotorcyclecentre.co.uk/) that rent benches and tools by the hour and there are qualified mechanics on hand that can help. Maybe there is something similar nearer to you?

This is all dependant on you wanting to learn though

I'm in Folkestone. I do want to learn and I'm interested in groups such as Oval (although I'm not sure I can afford £22/hour). I think for the sprockets and chain, I'm going to take it to a garage this time. It looks like there's too much that could go wrong and leave me stuck.

Do any of you Foccers meet at H's Cafe just outside Dover?

stevie-g1968

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 March 2014, 07:03:31 pm »
if you take it to your local bike shop, ask if they would let you watch so you can see how its done...and then ask lots of silly questions too...
that way, you maybe able to tackle simple tasks like servicing etc yourself in the future :)
FOCing down under.......dodging vacant Skippy's.

papercutout

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2014, 07:18:56 pm »
Woah, woah, woah guys.

If it was that easy why do people cut their chain off or need a riveting tool?
Also, if the front sprocket nut is siezed on you'll be doomed as well.
Get it done properly for peace of mind.

I knew I must have been forgetting something!

Well, that gives me an opportunity/justification (when mine needs doing) to paint my swingarm black. If I'm removing it anyway, why not, right? And make sure the swingarm bearing is nice and greased up.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2014, 08:36:47 am »
I'm looking at getting one of these for £80: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-98-03-DID-X-RING-CHAIN-SPROCKET-KIT-/400676831619?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5d4a334183

I've been quoted £60 to fit it. What do you reckon?

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2014, 08:42:48 am »
Go for it.......you could shop around and save a tenner but will it be worth all the hassle

ukdiceman

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2014, 08:44:30 am »
if you take it to your local bike shop, ask if they would let you watch so you can see how its done...and then ask lots of silly questions too...
that way, you maybe able to tackle simple tasks like servicing etc yourself in the future :)

Also are there any mobile bike mechanics near you, usually cheaper than a shop and you can stand and watch!

Wookee

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 March 2014, 09:20:21 am »
I'm looking at getting one of these for £80: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FZS600-FAZER-98-03-DID-X-RING-CHAIN-SPROCKET-KIT-/400676831619?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5d4a334183

I've been quoted £60 to fit it. What do you reckon?

By the time you factor in the tools you'll need to do the job (decent chain tool and or angle grinder, breaker bar, 32mm socket etc) then £60 seems not a bad price.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 March 2014, 09:29:51 am »
I think I was round about the same for mine about £140-£150 fitted for my mighty fazer Thou

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 March 2014, 09:44:14 am »

Also are there any mobile bike mechanics near you, usually cheaper than a shop and you can stand and watch!

Hmmm...mobile mechanic sounds like a good idea. I'll do a bit of searching.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 March 2014, 06:26:53 pm »
I do mobile mechanics but in North Wales, I did a Blackbird 1100 at the owners house the other day and charged £30 to fit chain&sprockets, bled the clutch too.

wickedmonkey

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 March 2014, 07:05:01 am »
I do mobile mechanics but in North Wales, I did a Blackbird 1100 at the owners house the other day and charged £30 to fit chain&sprockets, bled the clutch too.

Wow! That's good value! I don't suppose you fancy a ride beyond the hills to do mine???