Date: 01-05-24  Time: 19:34 pm

Author Topic: how long should chain and sprockets last ?  (Read 3490 times)

dock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - DT 175 MX
    • View Profile
how long should chain and sprockets last ?
« on: 04 April 2013, 10:33:16 pm »
Bit of advise please guys.
I was cleaning my chain and sprockets tonight,  i took off the cover to front sprocket and cleaned up loads of crud, i then inspected the front sprocket the teeth are very slightly shark fin shaped, :\ chain is in good condition as is the back sprocket. the bike has done 16000 miles. I am off to Normandy on it at the end of the month so was hoping to have another 1000 miles on this chain and sprockets and change them after the trip. What do you think guys ?
A closed mouth gathers no foot !

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: how long should chain and sprockets last ?
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2013, 10:51:02 pm »
Depends on how its been looked after really. Mine is the original chain and its done over 18,000 miles, it looks tatty but no excessive wear and i don't rag the bike. I got the bike with only 6000 miles on it.
 I would say its alright but, if in doubt put another chain and sprocket set on it now one less thing to worry about.

Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2013, 10:51:38 pm »
I went to assen in a similar position, thinking "it'll be fine for this trip".

It wasn't! Don't gamble, get the bike in good condition before heading off on a trip - it could get very expensive and ruin your holiday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: 04 April 2013, 10:53:38 pm by richfzs »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2013, 10:58:17 pm »
I just changed mine after 4 years, with all year round riding, which in this country is either wet, cold or just shit weather.
It's all about the maintenance and how well it's looked after rather than mileage.
From experience it's normally tight links that tend to go first on a chain. I'm presuming you have the original chain on?
As long as you're not feeling any lumpiness at all then you should be okay, but as soon as it starts it will get worse very quickly.
I'd be more concerned about checking out the front sprocket nut if you're going on a long journey though, and personally i would want to change the whole lot while you're at it if you say the front sprocket looks worn, along with the modded wider 12mm nut just for peace of mind.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2013, 08:55:50 am »
I went to assen in a similar position, thinking "it'll be fine for this trip".

It wasn't! Don't gamble, get the bike in good condition before heading off on a trip - it could get very expensive and ruin your holiday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Solid advice here. And just to add  another point....... even if things did work out, the thoughts of "will it, won't it be alright" would be constantly popping in and out of your brain and not allowing you to enjoy your holiday to the max. One of the purposes of a holiday is to chill out from the little stresses and problems of life, but here you will be taking one along with you for the holiday.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2013, 12:28:33 pm by packie »

dock

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - DT 175 MX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2013, 05:26:58 pm »
thanks for the advise boys, youve made my mind up, i will order chain and sprockets as soon as. also the 9mm front sprocket nut is still on there so i will change that for the 12mm one so thats another thing i can tick off the list. My tightarse side sometimes overides my common sense so im glad i asked the question now  :)
A closed mouth gathers no foot !

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2013, 06:19:03 pm »
Fit a scott oiler once you've done the chain/sprockets. Once fitted and correctly set up you can expect 30k plus for a chain I kid you not!  8)   
Later

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2013, 06:49:30 pm »
Fit a scott oiler once you've done the chain/sprockets. Once fitted and correctly set up you can expect 30k plus for a chain I kid you not!  8)

Yep!.....got close to that on my Bandit 1200. On only my 2nd chain & sprockets in 10 years and 40,000 miles.