Date: 28-04-24  Time: 00:07 am

Author Topic: Insurance renewal - WTF!!!!!  (Read 922 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Insurance renewal - WTF!!!!!
« on: 26 January 2024, 12:45:54 pm »

Old bastard of 60, 9+ years NCB, alarms, data tagged and trackers garaged etc.

Last year £330 for FZ1S and Ninja SX - this year £950

What the hell has gone on?

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance renewal - WTF!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2024, 03:28:26 pm »
There's a lot of this going on at present.  Pretty much all insurance has gone up 20-30% some 100% plus, much depends on your location, your employment and if you add commuting, anti theft kit really gets you very little if anything these days.  Last year I had a similar experience mine went up by £90, shopped about got it for same as I'd paid year before i.e. no increase.  I'd been with the company for 25yrs, loyalty is worth nothing nowadays it really isn't.  Some are saying they have seen no, or even a reduction in their renewal, its a real lottery. Cynically some are just profiteering, plain and simple.           

Shop about, but expect a 20 - 30% increase, over last years premium.  This I'm told is due to, wait for it................ supply and cost of parts/materials due to Covid (profiteering more like) and pot holes!     
Later

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2024, 04:25:12 pm »
Martin Lewis recommends renewing 21 days before your insurance is due to get the best price.

You can also tweak your job description (as long as it's a reasonable change, not a blatant lie!) which can bring down the prices.

Also *never* let the auto-renew price go through on the nod because, despite the fact that they're not supposed to "walk" the price up every renewal, you can guarantee the insurance ba$$$$$ds will do their best to jack the cost up!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2021/01/martin-lewis-car-insurance/

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2024, 08:48:24 pm »
Had the same issue, f**ckers tried to increase it by £100. But got it close to what I paid last year and then as a result of 2 mistakes they made I got compensation that dropped the price down to less than what I paid last year.

But worryingly one of the things putting the price up is pillion cover, for years this has been an after thought. But this year that added £50 to the premium, what the actual f**k like.   

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2024, 08:50:29 pm »
Martin Lewis recommends renewing 21 days before your insurance is due to get the best price.
Well something has changed as I always used to leave to the last weekend before and always got a good quote, but Im guess thats was when they were supposedly "allowed" to over discounts to get the deal.... c*nts.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2024, 08:33:28 pm »
Mine last year was I think the minimum cost to cover the paperwork. Not looking forward to this years then. You know when you were younger under 25 and each year the insurance was cheaper cause of your age - so is there a point where your age go's against you I wonder.   

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2024, 10:10:32 pm »
Just a plan to curtail freedom of movement I expect. Initially my car insurance went from £307 to £565 with no alterations to the previous year. Changed company’s and had to settle for £425, bearing in mind the car’s a year older and worth less, and mileage reduced due to ULEZ non compliance.
Bike insurance due in Feb, not looking forward to that for sure.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Kenyun

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - z1000r 2xTRX850 CB500X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2024, 05:52:52 pm »
Had the same issue, f**ckers tried to increase it by £100. But got it close to what I paid last year and then as a result of 2 mistakes they made I got compensation that dropped the price down to less than what I paid last year.

But worryingly one of the things putting the price up is pillion cover, for years this has been an after thought. But this year that added £50 to the premium, what the actual f**k like.
I don't understand this, in the early 1970s the cost of my insurance for a Triumph 500 cafe racer with No Pillion provision went up because of the introduction of 'Compulsory Passenger Liability' across the board. Has this legal requirement been sneakily removed and made an option? You don't pay extra for car passengers!

returning rider

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2024, 08:11:17 am »
Not looking forward to renewal then I know my car insurance shot up and took a lot of hassle to get it down still a massive hike tho, they claim repair costs have tripled due to parts supply issues etc.

Blatant rip off most of us are doing less miles in older less valuable vehicles yet they want vastly increased premiums!

Time for a public enquiry or a radical rethink as this is getting to breaking point, and don't start me on EV's looked into that in case my employer ever wakes up and offers a lease scheme the insurance on even a run of the mill EV is more than double my diesel car.

If the government are serious about switching to electric stupid issues like this need fixing

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2024, 04:01:56 pm »
Not looking forward to renewal then I know my car insurance shot up and took a lot of hassle to get it down still a massive hike tho, they claim repair costs have tripled due to parts supply issues etc.

Blatant rip off most of us are doing less miles in older less valuable vehicles yet they want vastly increased premiums!

Time for a public enquiry or a radical rethink as this is getting to breaking point, and don't start me on EV's looked into that in case my employer ever wakes up and offers a lease scheme the insurance on even a run of the mill EV is more than double my diesel car.

If the government are serious about switching to electric stupid issues like this need fixing
Well said
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.