Date: 28-04-24  Time: 13:35 pm

Author Topic: Time to upgrade... 07 or 09  (Read 1522 times)

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Time to upgrade... 07 or 09
« on: 27 March 2016, 03:34:50 pm »
Afternoon all.
I sold my fazer last year (foxeye 600).

I'm in the process of changing jobs which means I'll no longer require a car, as I'll be allowed to use the van for private mileage.

So I'm looking at another bike, not set in concrete but possibly brand new.

What I'm trying to do is figure out which...

Obviously I'm going to test ride both, and have read mixed reviews on the 09 in particular.

I'm looking at the MT-07 and MT-09 of course.

Main reasons for the 09 over the 07 are the Free exhaust system with the 09 and the power ratings.

Obviously the fazer was up there with the power in the 90bhp ballpark... The MT-07 seems to be a power drop where the 09 is more powerful.

I'm not a heavy rider but do plan on keeping the bike long term, it'll be a hobby not a commuter, and will have a pillion on occasion.

Anyone got any input forms to assist my decision making?

To add, I'm only around 5'9" and 58-60kgs and so adjustable suspension of one may benefit me, but may be a waste of time and £2k on the price increase.

Thanks in advance!

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Time to upgrade... 07 or 09
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2016, 03:47:10 pm »

I have an FZS1000 and my daughter has an FZ-07 (same as the MT-07, just the US denomination), which I ride occasionally.You need to try the FZ-07. The engine has a lot of torque starting really low and it may surprise you coming from the Fazer 600. It is well balanced and you do not feel any vibrations to speak of.
However, it's a twin, so it's not as smooth as the I4, and being completely naked, it will be a change from the Fazer if you do any medium or long distance rides. Around town, it's a hoot.
I have not ridden the FZ-09 (or MT-09), so I can't comment on that.

davidkent

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2016, 04:18:53 pm »
I think I'll not dismiss one or the other without a test ride for sure and I have heard that the torque is lower down than the fazer which will help anyway, just thinking more of the future too really I guess..

Some great input though, thank you and you could be right on the money with what you've said - thanks :)

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2016, 04:31:42 pm »
Both looked appeling to me until I sat on them.  I'm around 6ft and the mt07 was too small for me. Knees almost above the tank. So I feel like siting on them both will help you choose. I personally like the 07 street rally. If only it were bigger.. :(

Didier9

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2016, 04:51:06 pm »
Both looked appeling to me until I sat on them.  I'm around 6ft and the mt07 was too small for me. Knees almost above the tank. So I feel like siting on them both will help you choose. I personally like the 07 street rally. If only it were bigger.. :(

Yes, I am almost 6 ft and I call my daughter's FZ-07 "the scooter" because it feels small, but yet not too small. Great feeling around town, not so great on the road. I find the seat marginally comfortable for me at ~210 lbs, not a problem for my daughter as you might imagine. If I had this bike for myself, the seat would be the first thing to go, and I would put a windshield on it next.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 27 March 2016, 09:34:11 pm by slimwilly »
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.