Date: 30-04-24  Time: 22:21 pm

Author Topic: Matter of time!  (Read 3079 times)

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Matter of time!
« on: 18 February 2015, 08:20:13 pm »
After a somewhat lengthy absence from my bike (caused by arrival of a small person) I finally carved out some free time to have a blast on the Fazer only to see/hear that the much maligned exhaust system has a hole in it. Time for stainless steel upgrade me thinks.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
Re: Matter of time!
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2015, 08:39:32 pm »
Doh! Yeah, get yourself a nice stainless set. Motad, Sandy, Dvelelic (or some such similar spelling) all get votes here (personally I went for the Motad/Venom setup).

It's always the way, no sooner to your replace one thing, does something else need attention. This week, I've discovered my forks are covered in oil... Been planning a fork service for a while, but now I think it'll be a priority.

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2015, 08:49:45 pm »
Yeah found a set of stainless steel downpipes for £175 on Sandy bike spares.  Took exhaust off tonight and you're right, there's always something, the coolant pipework leaves a little bit to be desired. Good luck with forks!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2015, 08:54:26 pm »
Yeah found a set of stainless steel downpipes for £175 on Sandy bike spares.  Took exhaust off tonight and you're right, there's always something, the coolant pipework leaves a little bit to be desired. Good luck with forks!

I might have some OEM hoses that cane off my 600...if you get stuck and any of yours look like they'll spring a leak any time then i can look see if i have it and send it on.

You'll still need to do a full coolant flush though.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2015, 08:57:44 pm »
Oooooo thanks for the offer kind sir. While the downpipes are off I may as well do a coolant change/flush. The flexible hoses are OK, there's one steel pipe which is more rust than metal.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2015, 11:04:07 pm »
be sure to search "snapped exhaust studs" on here first now won't you
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2015, 07:41:20 am »
be sure to search "snapped exhaust studs" on here first now won't you

HAHA!  I actually had a mild panic attack at one point as the weight of down pipes was hanging on said studs at a jaunty angle.  An old doc martin boot proved sufficient support while i gently eased the pipes out.  I say gently, the removal process involved occasional profanities and grunting.

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2015, 11:20:23 am »
Snap!

A similar thing has happened to me, though the hole is smaller at the moment. I have also go a little one on the way (5 weeks to go now) so need some downpipes within the next couple of months. Along with chain and sprockets... and valve clearances... and brake seals... and carb sync. The list goes on.

Has anyone used the Delkevic headers? I only ask as them seem to come in loads of parts, with spring clips for the header/collector box joints (at least according to their website). I just wonder about the sealing of all these extra joints.

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2015, 04:53:13 pm »
Snap!

A similar thing has happened to me, though the hole is smaller at the moment. I have also go a little one on the way (5 weeks to go now) so need some downpipes within the next couple of months. Along with chain and sprockets... and valve clearances... and brake seals... and carb sync. The list goes on.

Has anyone used the Delkevic headers? I only ask as them seem to come in loads of parts, with spring clips for the header/collector box joints (at least according to their website). I just wonder about the sealing of all these extra joints.

Good luck with the small person!! I've just taken delivery of std stainless set from Sandy Bike Spares.  Looking like I'll have to use the knackered rusted fasteners mind.

Flak

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Speed Triple 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2015, 08:04:26 pm »
How much do you want for the old pipes?
FZS600, Speed Triple 1050, FZS1000, DT175MX etc.

theglove1978

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2015, 08:26:27 pm »
How much do you want for the old pipes?

Oooo if you're local you can have em for nowt. :-)

Failing that if you want them shipping sure we can arrange something.