Date: 27-04-24  Time: 07:58 am

Author Topic: My beloved Fazer is no more...  (Read 4179 times)

blade023

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
My beloved Fazer is no more...
« on: 15 August 2013, 10:26:40 pm »
I know I've not posted here in some time, but I thought I should update you all as to what's happened to me. Since I got the Gen1 Fazer 1000 I've really enjoyed riding it, commuting, taking my brother to Southampton (from near Exeter) and all sorts of general bimbling about. What follows is a post I made in another forum I'm on;

Here are some pics of the results of an accident I have just been involved in.

What follows is an account of what I remember of the night of the 10th of August 2013. It is as much for myself as others, in the hopes it will jog some memories and as such I've written it more as a narrative than my usual post. I'm not yet angry about all this as I can't remember it, and I would like to remember so I can get good and angry.

Ok so; from what my memory tells me I was working yesterday, and finished up about 10:30 - 11:00. I think it was nearer 10:30 though I'm not entirely sure. I put my bike gear on; akito textile trousers, akito jacket, LS2 flip helmet, nice long bike boots and Held gloves (from my bro who donated them to me rather than send them back as a strap was missing. Not vital.) I clocked out, walked over to my pride and joy, a gen 1 fzs 1000 which I had already upgraded in several ways, unlocked it and rolled it out of the staff car park away from potential customers in nearby rooms like a good boy, so the engine wouldn't disturb them. (I love the sound of it, but I can see that others might not.)

There's a female paramedic talking to me, I think she's asking me things. Her voice sounds nice, and reassuring.

I'm lying on a bed in a hospital. I can see my brother and our mutual friend stood not far from me, and things are hurting. I appear to have lost my trousers and I can see my helmet on a chair (which I think was pointed out to me) with half the visor missing. My phone is in the breast pocket of my chef's jacket, and it only now occurs to me that this is odd, I never put it there. Always in my trouser pocket.

There are several jumbled thoughts bouncing around my head now, some of them starting to coalesce into realisation. Evidence. Vague memories. I think I know the answer already, but I ask anyway. "What am I doing here."

Patiently my brother explains again. I'm in hospital, as I've just been in an accident. I don't know if I've asked already but there's no memory of it. Several new thoughts float to the top of my mind. My neck hurts when I swallow. "Where's my bike?!?" I dread the answer but it comes from my friend. The bike looks like it'll be written off.

Unaware of all the parts of my body that are hurting, they start to make themselves known as I move around on the hospital bed. I roll over to my side, and decide to attempt to sleep. I'm tired. Checking my phone it's some time after 3 am.

"It's probably not a good idea to sleep just yet."

My brother's voice. Sleep seems like a very good idea to me, perhaps I could forget the pain for a while. Why does it hurt to swallow? Still, I know his experience and defer to his wisdom as I roll over on to my back again and look around the room.

"They'll want to check you over soon."

Lying there I see someone in uniform on their way past who looks over to me. I recognise the uniform of a paramedic. She introduces her collegue as the gent who took my trousers off. I still feel more than a bit confused but manage a retort. "He didn't even buy me a drink first!"

A short time later, which feels like an age, a female doctor (I think?) comes over to examine me. After several checks it's decided that I'm fit to be discharged as long as I can be supervised. I've had a head trauma, and she's worried I may need to come back if there are any further problems, but thinks I seem fine to go home and rest.

After that I head over to my brother's place for the night, so I'm not on my own. After a fitful sleep the morning comes with a few painful and distressing realisations. I've no bike. There's insurance claims to sort and it just feels like I've lost my legs; I like being independant and being able to go where I like and now that's been taken away from me and hurled across the cruel tarmac and into a verge. To be ingloriously scooped up and dumped in storage in a place that would be so accessible if I had wheels. But that now seems unreachable.

I just want to see it, and see how bad the damage is.

Of everything that happened last night, the worst is the loss of my bike. It was my favourite out of any I'd owned. If there's a chance, I will get it back, and it will ride again. I can't accept anything else. Meanwhile I'm waiting for police and insurance to phone about what's going to happen now.

This is pieced together from what I've been told:
I was riding home last night form Ashburton and got to here when a merc that was coming from the opposite direction decided to turn in to Dartmoor Halfway Inn cutting across my path. I'm told it was the angle when I hit it, that sent me over to the other side of the road and into the verge. I'm also told it would have been a lot worse if I'd have hit at more of a right angle, and the police officer I spoke to said I was very lucky to get away so lightly.

So there's my first off after a run in with a cager. I still haven't remembered anything about the actual journey or the incident, but it's only been about 15-16 hours.

I'm not a happy bunny right now. I want my bike back.

I feel like I should add:

Thanks go out to my brother who's always been there when I needed him. My good friend Dan (known on here as DannyMassive) who's been a great help to me in many ways, and who was there with me last night. To the two lovely paramedics who picked me up and took my trousers off, you can take my trousers off any time. (and I always, without fail, get the heck out of an ambulance's way as fast as I can. Each time I do I think "Might need one some day." That day was yesterday.) And to the lovely doctor who checked me out. She had a very pleasant bedside manner.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: My beloved Fazer is no more...
« Reply #1 on: 15 August 2013, 10:33:56 pm »
Ouch! Bad luck about the crash, hope you can get something sorted / a claim against the Merc.

But thank Foc you came off reasonably lightly!
The Deef's apprentice

blade023

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 August 2013, 10:55:42 pm »
I did indeed. My fazer; not so much. Forgot to add a link to the pics of the damage in that first post, so here they are..

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 August 2013, 11:03:28 pm »
Argh! Not a pretty sight! :(
The Deef's apprentice

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2013, 11:18:21 pm »
God. A pretty harrowing account there that reminds me of my own first big "off".

I assume you haven't remembered much more about it since you posted those thoughts.

I look forward to hearing how this progresses. Is any action being taken against the merc driver that you know of?

Bike looks very poorly, do you still intend on repairing or are you thinking more along the lines of replacing it with another - still early days yet on that though I know.

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2013, 12:16:47 am »
Foc the bike. Go and buy a lottery ticket. You were bloody lucky.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2013, 05:57:40 am »
Hope you get well soon Blade. Your body will fix itself, the Fazer can be replaced, and that friggin Merc driver will hopefully get what he deserves!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2013, 06:52:30 am »
That sucks man,, i hope you make a full recovery and are able to rebuild the bike, oh and lastly i hope justice is done to the merc driver,,cunt!!!
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2013, 07:18:20 am »
hope the merc stopped and admits liability so at least the claim will progress swiftly.

best wishes for a full recovery from ur injuries.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2013, 07:33:05 am »
know who your friends are at times like this....well done bro and dan....speedy recovery mate  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2013, 08:12:23 am »
Bikes a mess but hell it could have been so much worse for you , it's early days you may still remember although not sure I'd want to  :eek

Soapy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 August 2013, 10:11:40 am »
Best of luck with your recovery Blade. Had an off myself a few years back when a dumper truck pulled out in front of me. Still have no recollection of going over the bars. First memory was sliding along on my face and knees. Thankfully had a full face helmet on.

Jazz999

• Weekend Warrior
  • Mellow Yellow!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 August 2013, 11:57:40 am »
Thoughts are with you Bro, glad you came off relatively unscathed, as others have said - sounds like you were lucky. Pleased you had a positive experience with some of my colleagues in green - I promise there's many who you would have rather left your trousers on! Sounds like you were lucky in many ways ;)
Hope you're back on two soon.
Nothing Fazes a Foccer!

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 August 2013, 01:12:22 pm »
Jesus glad you're not too badly hurt!  :eek  Ok, your bike may be your pride & joy, but steel & plastic is worth nothing next to flesh & blood, so just be glad you're ok.

It's nice reading about your bro, mate and the medical folk. Kinda restores your faith in human nature eh?  ;)
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #14 on: 16 August 2013, 02:59:36 pm »
Glad you're not broken, badly hurt. Bike will be sorted out, just get well.

What does the merc look like, did you total it?!  ARRR!   :evil
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #15 on: 16 August 2013, 04:05:17 pm »
Jeez, sounds as if it could have been a hell of a lot worse! Glad to hear you're mostly ok :thumbup

peterjca

« Reply #16 on: 16 August 2013, 04:48:08 pm »
Glad you're Ok.

Try not to dwell on what ifs and the state of your bike. Difficult I know. Concentrate on getting yourself better, physically and psychologically.

I wish you a speedy recovery (and return to two wheels).

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2013, 05:10:50 pm »
I never regained any memories of my big off, maybe just as well eh?

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2013, 07:21:46 pm »
Ouch! Glad to hear you're still in one piece, it does sound like you were lucky.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2013, 07:56:05 pm »
Sometimes it's better to have no memory of a nasty accident like this. I can't remember a single thing about my big "off". I only know what others have told me about it. I wonder if I ever would have had the courage to get back on a bike if I could remember.
Give yourself some time to heal before worrying about the bike or anything like that right now. There are always more bikes out there for you to buy and make your own, but there's only one of you.
Take care blade023.

blade023

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2013, 08:01:53 pm »
Thanks guys, and yes I'd say I'm lucky under the circumstances. In many ways. Obviously bad things can happen at any time, but the advice, help and kind words I've had from all I've spoken to really offsets this by a long way. I'll try to address all the points raised here..

There was one independant witness who saw me "speed off round a corner" as the P.C. put it, then arrived at the scene after the crash. The driver in the merc must have stopped, and spoke to the officer on scene who later visited me in hospital at about 2-3 AM to ask me about what happened. So far I haven't remembered anything from the 4 hours between leaving work and waking in hospital, so I was unable to tell him much. All the information I could give him was speculation. He did admit though, that the evidence supported me being a sensible and careful rider. Well maintained machine with new rear tyre, all the right gear etc.

The current state of affairs regarding insurance, is that being TPFT only, I've been passed on to a claims company who are pursuing this claim with the third party insurers. They've given details and are awaiting a reply (up to 21 days I'm told) to see if they accept liability. I've been told to start valuating all damages (gear, expenses etc) so this can be passed on should they accept liability.

As I hit the passanger side door of the merc, and there were no skidmarks (on the road...) I'm assured it's quite likely that the third party will accept liability, but I can't assume this so am planning accordingly.

As far as I know, damage to the merc was the passanger side door. I couldn't say for sure, but I'd think it's not extensive.. as mercs are built like tanks aren't they?

After spending days scouring the interwebs and visiting a couple of dealers looking for bikes, all I'd managed to find until recently were tatty high mileage older bikes that made me cringe. To explain, I've been saving for a flat deposit as I wanted to have my own space. These savings are what I have for a bike, and I need transport for work.

Then yesterday Dan sends me a text about a post here from devilsyam selling a fazer thou. Great I replied, but where is it? I think it's near scotland he says. Right. How am I supposed to get a bike back from Scotland? It'd take ages, and bearing in mind I've just had an off... But I then find out he's in Bristol! So all being well, I'm hoping to be back on the road very soon! And not on some tatty make-do bike that I don't even know if it's temporary, but on another Fazer thou no less!

Have to say my first impression when I had a little go on a friend's Fazer, wasn't the best. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. But since owning it, it's really grown on me. I made that bike my own and did a lot of work on it, albeit mostly cosmetic.

So thanks to all you well wishers! Things are starting to look up.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2013, 08:14:27 pm »
Glad to hear you are ok body wise and hope you get another bike sorted. That one looks trashed.
I wonder what the driver's excuse for not seeing you was or if they were distracted by something.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 August 2013, 08:26:35 pm »
Be glad you bounce better than your bike did  ;)

Horrible situation but you are up, walking and talking which is a miracle to be glad for in itself.

I hope it all works out for you, just remember bitterness, hatred and resentment do nobody any good.  Think positive and be glad you're alive and didn't (by the looks of it) need any bodywork  :\ [size=78%].[/size]

Best of luck for the future lad  :)
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 August 2013, 08:40:41 pm »
Sorry to hear about your crash , good  luck with  the insurance and  getting your claim  sorted and yourself back on  the road  . Good luck.

blade023

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 August 2013, 10:26:03 pm »
Yes, I must have bounced or slid or rolled pretty well. Who knows? I doubt I'll be getting those memories back, but it sounds like that's not such a bad thing. It's been a busy evening as I've been trying to organise things and cover all angles for tomorrow:

Thanks in no small part to DevilsYam I'll be getting back on the road, all being well, tomorrow. It'll be interesting to meet a fellow biker and forum member, and I'm looking forward to seeing the bike he's offering. Hope he doesn't mind me posting here, but I wanted to share some excitement! So now I've got everything arranged, transport booked, funds organised and insurance quotes all I have left to do is wait. Been aching to get back on the road for a week now, and 12 hours seems like a very long time away!

And as for "bitterness, hatred and resentment".. I really have no time for them. They are all paths to the dark side. I'd be interested to meet the driver of the merc, but only for a polite chat about what happened (from his point of view more than anything). I'm told this is a bad idea though, and I defer to the advice of those who told me not to.

Thanks peeps!