Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:31 pm

Author Topic: what did you do with your fazer today ?  (Read 1585963 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: what did you do with your fazer today ?
« Reply #8850 on: 24 June 2022, 04:15:14 pm »
(Yesterday) It’s always difficult, for some unknown reason, arranging a day out when several people are involved. Earlier in the week 7 of us expressed a desire to have a day out this week, and Thursday seemed to suit everyone. Four of us were due to meet fairly locally at 09:15, picking up the other three at another venue as we headed south.
The change in the weather from Wednesday made riding kit choice a bit of a dilemma, as come Thursday morning as it was raining. Whilst trying to choose between textile and leather the mobile was pinging ten to the dozen, with the first bailer using the old “I ain’t got no waterproofs” excuse. Now there were only two to meet up with at the first venue. I arrived a bit early to find one of my pals already relaxing with a coffee whilst admiring his newly purchased KTM 1290 GT. A quick look at the phone revealed another bailer, so no show for the Tracer 900 GT because of the light rain. So, just the two of us set off for the second rendezvous, the far side of Brands Hatch. The roads were drying as we approached our meeting point, the air temperature noticeably rising, and the textile jacket fast becoming a bad choice. The remaining three compatriots all turned up within minutes of each other, so with waterproof trousers shoved in the tank bag, and all the bikes gassed up, we were off.
Good progress was made via A and B roads to Tenterden, before aiming north in the direction of Canterbury, before swinging east to our destination, The Coastguard Inn at St.Margaret at Cliffe. The descent to sea level is a bit hairy due to the steepness and narrowness of the road and sharpness of the bends, really hoping a car or something larger wasn’t going to attempt the ascent, while on our way down. Safely parked outside the pub, helmets and jackets couldn’t be got off fast enough. The sun was really hot in a clear blue sky to the extent of having to get an umbrella to shade the table while we ate. At this venue most phone networks switch to France as it’s on the limit of their coverage.An hour or so was spent soaking up the sun while sipping shandies, wishing we could stay for the rest of the day and have a proper drink.
Petrol was next on the agenda, the Garmin sorting out a Shell garage within three miles, and in the direction I was planning to go. Duly gased up we headed for Wingham via lanes that took us through several Kent farming communities. Other than a diversion in the middle of nowhere, due to a road dig up, we stayed pretty much on the course I’d planned, making sure we didn’t miss out the Chilham Bends on our way to Charing, before more cross country on B roads, to the outskirts of Goudhurst for an early evening pub stop.
From here we went our various ways, and in hindsight I should have stuck to my favourite B roads, but at a crucial corner decided to stay with the A road thinking it would be quicker. Not really considering the time of day, as my commuting days are long gone, I found myself in heavy traffic, double white lines and slow progress. Still this was the only dampener in the day for me, rolling onto the drive with another 218 of our lovely English miles under the Fazer wheels. A great day despite the iffy start, with the two lightweights now wishing they’d made the effort. :)
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #8851 on: 24 June 2022, 07:23:38 pm »
Not exactly today, but two rides, one on Tuesday and the other yesterday.

I'd gone down to Croyde for a few days surfing on Monday, but I take the quick route down (M27, M3, A34, A303) because that saves energy for the waves :)

On Tuesday, however, the swell had dropped, so, instead of going out for a dawnie, I went for a nice ride up the A39 through Lynton and Lynmouth with some nice twisty roads, then back across Exmoor for 100 miles of fun.

On the way back on Thursday, I used some lovely little back roads I'd found which run parallel to the A361 and the A30, thus avoiding the traffic and being able to make a bit of progress  ;) along the way.

That route takes a bit longer, however it's much more enjoyable :thumbup

albuquerqueturkey

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: 24 June 2022, 09:12:24 pm »
Not exactly today, but two rides, one on Tuesday and the other yesterday.

I'd gone down to Croyde for a few days surfing on Monday, but I take the quick route down (M27, M3, A34, A303) because that saves energy for the waves :)

On Tuesday, however, the swell had dropped, so, instead of going out for a dawnie, I went for a nice ride up the A39 through Lynton and Lynmouth with some nice twisty roads, then back across Exmoor for 100 miles of fun.

On the way back on Thursday, I used some lovely little back roads I'd found which run parallel to the A361 and the A30, thus avoiding the traffic and being able to make a bit of progress  ;) along the way.

That route takes a bit longer, however it's much more enjoyable :thumbup

Where do you hire your boards from? I used to work in 'le sport' in Croyde many moons ago...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: 25 June 2022, 12:38:24 am »
Where do you hire your boards from? I used to work in 'le sport' in Croyde many moons ago...

I have a sheet of paper printed out that I stick on the front of my bike when it's parked next to my tent and board.

It says (in big letters): "The answer to THAT question is...

and continues in smaller letters: "... going to cost you a donation to the RNLI Lifeguards"  :D

Because I have *so many* times been asked "How do you carry the board on the bike?" and I would say "If I had a quid for every time someone asked me that question..."!

And the actual answer is that I have my own board (7'6" Torq Mod Fun) and I stay at Ocean Pitch campsite (used to be Mitchums, just past Ruda, next to the field where they have the weekly market) and Benny, who runs the site, is good enough to keep it there for me :thumbup
« Last Edit: 25 June 2022, 12:39:17 am by Grahamm »

SmuttyHutty

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: 28 June 2022, 08:04:44 am »
Went to pop 150ml of ZX1 Extralube in the FZ6 and had to drain said 150ml of oil from the sump plug to make space. Managed to drain more than that by dropping the sump plug into the jar that I had prepared as a receptacle, then had to fish it out again, all the time whilst oil was spewing over the garage floor.

A mega clear up unsued followed by a liberal sprinkling of cement and then the ZX1 and some fresh oil was popped in.

Went for a ride and came across yet another motorist who doesn't follow the road signs at roundabouts (left lane is left turn only so she was part way round the roundabout whilst indicating left then swung over into my lane to go straight on) and clocked up a few miles in the sunshine.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: 28 June 2022, 10:51:54 pm »
Sadly nothing 😭
*Disclaimer*
Nothing I say should in any way be taken as a good idea 😄

FazThou

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: 30 June 2022, 08:33:03 pm »
Used daily through the friggin blackwall tunnel grrrrrr!!!!!
Hopefully get a job this side of the water soon  :rolleyes

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: 01 July 2022, 01:36:08 pm »
Nice whizz out to the Sussex coast yesterday. Stopped off at Whiteways on the way home for a compulsory sausage bap :lol . Got chatting to a very knowledgeable guy, about the development of hydrogen engines.

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: 04 July 2022, 07:30:37 am »
Used daily through the friggin blackwall tunnel grrrrrr!!!!!
Hopefully get a job this side of the water soon  :rolleyes
Does it still have that weird chemical stink? Could never figure out what caused it 🤷‍♂️
The fun thing about tunnels is you can do accidental backfires on carb bikes 😅
*Disclaimer*

beuleux

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: 04 July 2022, 07:39:49 am »
Got chatting to a very knowledgeable guy, about the development of hydrogen engines.
That would be a legendary fazer mod 😎
*Disclaimer*

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: 07 July 2022, 02:19:17 pm »
I whispered in her ear - new rubber on the way........ :D

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: 07 July 2022, 07:59:47 pm »
Swapped out the LED headlight bulb for the original halogen and fitted a second exhaust baffle for her appointment with the MOT tester this evening.  All reverted back now with no advisories.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2022, 08:52:48 am by notsofast »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: 09 July 2022, 08:50:02 am »
 Had a nice rip around Kent yesterday with some pals. Our leader took us down some B roads I never knew existed, making it more than interesting. After a whizz over the marshes from Brenzett, we took the road out to Dungeness for a few shandies in the Pilot. Was quite surprised that we'd clocked 210 miles at the end of the day, as it didn't seem to have taken that long ;) .

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: 11 July 2022, 08:44:10 am »
Nice early start yesterday, and in the cafe eating breakfast at Folkestone by 09:30. Only out for the morning, so back tracked on the way we’d come with a slight divert into Woodchurch for a couple of cooling shandies. After clocking just 166 miles today, the Fazer can enjoy a bit of a rest for a few weeks now, as two weekends of racing coming up, WSB at Donny and BSB at Brands. Time to break out the sun cream I think.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: 11 July 2022, 11:21:32 am »
Mirrors off, speedo covered up, centre stand off, thorough check over, off to Donington Park this afternoon for some track time this evening. Gonna be the hottest day of the year, but better than the last one in May when it rained most of the day

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8865 on: 11 July 2022, 02:21:59 pm »
Headed to Sheeps head in West Cork yesterday on the 1000 with my wife took a road called the Goats Path to take in some incredible scenery and stopped for tea and Scones in the Sheeps Head cafe.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: 17 July 2022, 09:05:35 am »
For the past few days I've been on a surfing break at Croyde Bay, I had hoped to stay until today, but the swell died off on Friday evening and there were no waves, so I decided to head home yesterday before it got too hot and the roads melted!

But, ye gods, was it warm...  :eek

Even with the air jacket, I had to stop off at two garages on the way back and cool off in their air conditioned shops whilst getting a Capri Sun to rehydrate.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: 18 July 2022, 07:47:19 pm »
Rode to work, only problem with that was the job required me to go to N.Yorks, from Worcester. 150 mile each way. Trip up was nice, left Worcester at 06:15. Trip back, well, needless to say, plenty of stops for water. The highlight of the trip was watching the mileage go through 80,000 - as I was filtering through 6 miles of stationary traffic on the A1 South  :lol :lol

SmuttyHutty

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: 04 August 2022, 11:17:58 pm »
Decided that being stuck in my wife's car with the tribe was a bit tiresome so suggested I ride to North Norfolk whilst she drove.

Best idea I've had in flipping ages.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: 05 August 2022, 12:31:19 am »
Fzs600 Turned 96000 miles today. Has 1 mile on it when I bought it 19 years ago

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: 05 August 2022, 07:21:15 am »
Good for at least another 60k  :thumbup
Later

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: 11 August 2022, 10:01:13 am »
My garage is the coolest place in my house, temperature wise, which made yesterday an ideal day to the chain and sprocket service that I’d been threatening to do for a while now. Rear calliper got a going over as well, whilst the wheel was out. All set for a hopefully good day out on Sunday, for my annual day trip to Cornwall.

notsofast

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - GSXR600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: 13 August 2022, 09:40:19 pm »
Wrung it's neck for 450 miles of fine Scottish tarmac with some like minded souls.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: 16 August 2022, 04:31:08 pm »
(Sunday) It's always difficult trying to arrange a date for a day out that  suits all involved. I usually do my day trip to Cornwall later in August, but the 14th was the best date for everyone, despite the forecast being exceedingly hot.

I'd liked to have left at 06:30, but my pal who now owns my old Fireblade, was coming from Essex, so made the departure time 7am.
Soon we were making good progress on familiar B roads, taking advantage of the cool air in the wooded sections. Making good time to pick up the A272 at Cowfold, it was now head down on this well known route, past Loomies and on to the A31. After skirting Winchester we were now on the A30 and heading for breakfast at what was The Haven. This once excellent cafe has been renamed Thyme and Tides. The food on offer was ok, but rather limited and expensive for what it was. I knew roughly what to expect but couldn't find an alternative cafe in the area.

After 50 minutes we were back in the saddle, and west bound as far as the A30 would take us. However after ripping through the bends at Henstridge, we were faced with a detour around Sherbourne of epic proportions, that used up a fair bit of our valuable time. Rather than eat at the pub in Cornwall as we usually do, we opted for a very nice brunch at Moretonhampstead, in a cafe I've used before, slap bang in the middle of Dartmoor. We then pressed on to Tavistock, across the river Tamar and on to the pub.

Bitter shandies all round were very well received, opting to sit inside which was much cooler. We got a bit too comfortable listening to the afternoons live music, leaving for home about an hour later than planned. Fortunately we had gassed up before the pub, so the first stop after the Sherbourne diversion was to change to a clear visor as the light was fading fast. A petrol, coffee, chocolate bar stop just before Salisbury, got us all home, with the Fazer clocking 510 miles for its days work. However, my old Blade took the furthest travelled award, with 550 on the trip meter. All in all, a good day out.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2022, 04:32:42 pm by robbo »

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: 26 August 2022, 08:42:37 pm »
Had quite a nice impromptu Billy no Mates day today. After a quick first chain adjustment since the replacement chain and sprockets were fitted, had a whizz down to the cafe at Brooklands Aerodrome. I’d ridden past the entrance dozens of times, so now it was time to actually go in. The Aerodrome cafe has a large patio area off of the restaurant, making for relaxed plane watching. It’s a bit on the posh side for me, easily recognised by the price list and the fact you need a magnifying glass to find where the food is on the plate :lol . From there it was eastwards across Sussex to Pevensey Bay, taking a rather convoluted route, before a ice cream stop in the Ashdown Forest. Then it was homeward, clocking another 184 of our lovely English miles. I don’t expect to get many days out now until I leave for the Bol d’Or in mid September. Maybe half a day to scrub in my new to be fitted front tyre, which is arranged for Thursday, then it will be time to bolt on the pannier frames and start preparing for the South of France.