Date: 28-04-24  Time: 13:29 pm

Author Topic: Laying the bike up for winter  (Read 1460 times)

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Laying the bike up for winter
« on: 24 August 2012, 02:11:21 pm »
I reckon there's going to be a few of these topics coming, so I may as well start us off!

I'm off to New Zealand for 6 months in 2 weeks time, so what do we all do to keep our bikes minty fresh whist not in use?

I've got what's in the Haynes manual, but does anyone have anything extra they do?

Thanks in advance

Tom

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Laying the bike up for winter
« Reply #1 on: 24 August 2012, 02:37:49 pm »
park it in the garage on the main stand and plug in the optimate. job done for me but many others do much more like fill up the fuel tank coat the thing in WD40 and make sure the tyres are off the ground.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 August 2012, 04:40:20 pm »
leave it with me. i'll look after it for you :evil

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 August 2012, 04:46:13 pm »

There are so many sob stories about dead batteries around that it seems that Optimates aren't really much good. Ideally the battery should be used... if you've a friend or relative with a car that has enough space in the engine bay, a bracket to mount it in parallel with theirs will probably be much better.
While there are plenty on here who refuse to listen to such heresy, I'd either fill or drain the tank. The carbs I'd drain. Unless you're using ethanol-free fuel it'll absorb moisture and that risks corrosion in both areas.
(OK Rich, that's your cue...) :lol

markbubble

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - heinkels,excelsiors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 August 2012, 05:03:08 pm »
id recomend you try get both tyres off ground if possible,give a good clean and dry/lube etc before store in dry garage or similar(i store mine in a shed with good vent so it can breath!)batt is a funny thing and do seem to go dead no mater what you do unless you use regular! they arnt mega expensive so no the end of the world,if you have a friend you can trust get them to start or take for a ride every so often to keep it going ,a petrol 'additive' is designed to help stop fuel going off  and stop tank etc rusting so worth filling tank and adding that rather than leaving an empty tank that will get moisture in it and rust! but the main thing is have fun while your away!

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 August 2012, 05:49:36 pm »
OMG  :eek   Thinking of winter already??  Still waiting for Spring meself!   :rollin
Called for some service parts for my lawnmower and picked up a fuel stabiliser -  'Briggs and Stratton' - FRESH START.  It's not just for lawnmowers, works with all 2 & 4 stroke engines.  Apparently stabilises unleaded for up to 24 months.  It's going in my tank, filled with Shell 'V-Power',  once they start throwing salt around.  Used full tank of V power without the stabilser last winter and it was okay, suppose the stabiliser will help too.
Stay safe and enjoy your 6 months in NZ Tom.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2012, 09:27:16 pm »
Last ride today :( still, hopefully the worst of the winter will be gone by mid feb...

Filled it up with the expensive shell and whacked some 'additive' in too.

I didn't ride it for about 5 months last year and it started fine, this is just planned so I might as well try :)

Going to leave the battery in it, it's stuck on the drive (front door measures 73cm, handlebars are 77cm...) and the immobiliser can't be a bad thing.
Didn't drain the carbs, looked too fiddley and didn't bother with any of that squirting oil in the cylinders either, far too much trouble :)

On centre stand and front wheel on blocks and that's about it, except it being chained to ground anchor through swinging arm and engine bar (seperate chains), disc lock on front, chain to solid fence through rear wheel. It's not going anywhere...

That's pretty much all I've done, gave it a good clean the other day which made me feel better for leaving the poor girl :(

I'll let you all know how overgrown my brother lets it get!

manuel32

• Club Racer
  • Do it yourself!
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2012, 06:59:46 am »
I uded to have to stert the vfr up every couple of months or the petrol seemed to evaporate from the carbs and would take a long time to start,
But now with fuel injection may not happen.

Dont forget the anti freeze,,-15 could do untold damage
I know its only the internet but they are real people ! ain't they?