Date: 25-04-24  Time: 22:07 pm

Author Topic: London Borough of Hackney: Proposed parking charges  (Read 1172 times)

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
London Borough of Hackney: Proposed parking charges
« on: 24 July 2022, 09:31:52 am »
If you live or work in Hackney, you need to be aware of this

Save London Motorcycling (SLMC) have started a petition against Hackney's plans for Motorcycle parking. We need as many people to sign this petition as possible and as of writing has 3000 signatures, so please sign and share below. This is how SLMC forced Camden to listen to us, if we get enough signatures to this maybe we can do the same with Hackney  -

https://www.change.org/p/stop-plans-for-new-motorcycle-and-scooter-parking-charges-in-hackney-savehackneymc?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=custom_url&recruited_by_id=ee093930-fecf-11ec-a5cc-a932ca258f92

To recap, their plans are that from autumn 2022:

• All motorcycles and scooters, petrol and electric, to be charged the same prices as cars.
  • Residents permits up to £850 a year.
  • Business permits up to £1800 a year.
  • Solo motorcycle bays charged at up to £6 an hour - yeah you read that right, PER HOUR!
  • Banning commuting with 4 hour maximum stay limits in most bays.
  • Petrol & Electric PTW’s are included.

If you oppose these changes please sign and share the above petition, you can also add a comment explaining how the changes will affect you. If Hackney are allowed to make these devastating changes, it will also set a terrible precedent across all London boroughs.

Facts have no meaning in Hackney

On Monday 18th July, a deputation to the Council by MAG representative Cathy Phillpotts provided evidence demonstrating factual errors in the report.  Looking at the wording of the report it is clear that these errors are directly used to contradict the wisdom of survey respondents.  The report states -

“respondents felt motorcycles were better for the environment compared to cars, vans and lorries. However, this is contradicted by research that shows that motorcycles contribute heavily to dangerous nitrous oxide (NO2), and Particulate Matter (PM10) pollutants on a par with vehicle counterparts.”

It is hard to understand how factual inaccuracies that serve as the only justification for a policy decision can be viewed as inconsequential.  The very basis for the Council decision has been accepted to be factually incorrect. Hackney Council is apparently willing to misrepresent and then ignore facts to bypass the will of its constituents and common law. Full details can on the above report can be found here - https://www.mag-uk.org/hackney-cling-to-flawed-decision-on-motorcycle-parking-charges/

And if you live in Hackney, please contact your councillor - https://hackney.gov.uk/find-your-councillor

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: London Borough of Hackney: Proposed parking charges
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2022, 11:14:35 am »
Even though I have no plans to ever visit on a motorcycle I have signed it for the poor foccers that have no choice 😕  I'm honestly so glad night moved up north and away from that elitist crap hole we call a capital.
It's an absolute disgrace the way they try and price people out at every opportunity 😡🤬😤

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2022, 06:40:26 pm »
I bet there isn't a single biker or even moped rider amongst the people who are pushing this nonsense...  :2guns

Mark YPVS

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 July 2022, 04:48:23 pm »
Signed, hopefully my days of London commuting are long gone but this is unjust and unfair from Hackney.

Mark

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2022, 09:46:33 pm »
When MAG were in a Zoom with them, we werent overly impressed or confident in thier abilities as representatives of a London borough.

For example the table they had motorcycles linked to polution was a joke and full of bad data. They were stating that a BMW motorcycle was in the 101-110g/km range, and it was pointed out that a 2009 bandit 1250 has a CO2 emission figure as listed in the logbook of 0.76g/km. Dont even get started on the deisel surcharge shown on that table, that dosent even apply to motorcycles.

When Hackney were confronted on this they didnt answer plainly or directly, instead avoiding the question with nonsense.
« Last Edit: 27 July 2022, 09:49:34 pm by b1k3rdude »

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2022, 09:27:16 pm »
I bet there isn't a single biker or even moped rider amongst the people who are pushing this nonsense...  :2guns

Yes I can well believe that