Date: 28-04-24  Time: 10:22 am

Author Topic: Brake fluid change  (Read 9907 times)

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Brake fluid change
« on: 11 January 2012, 10:25:04 am »
Hi,
 I'm going to be doing my first brake fluid change at some point in the next few weeks (yay)

Unfortunately, I've only ever done it on cars before.

Now my first question is, what size tube am I looking for to fit the bleed nipple?  I don't really want to buy a kit with the tubing, one way valve etc. if I can just buy a little bit of tubing :)

Second question, how much brake fluid will I need to do both front and back, I don't imagine much, but wanted to check first :)

Oh, also, any differences in fluid between manufacturers?

Many thanks,
Tom

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Brake fluid change
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2012, 10:28:47 pm »
Most kits you can buy the tubing will fit fine, how much you will need depends on youre ability to get the job done correctly it isn't as easy as some try to make out plus you can run into alsorts of problems.  In real terms you could do the whole job with 250ml and still have more than half left over thats said I know of owners who used a litre on just the fronts! :eek

I cant stress this enough if you dont know what you are doing or you dont have someone with you who does leave well alone, or it could end in tears :(   
Later

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2012, 06:40:34 am »
This may sound rude, but it is with best intentions and experience I'm writing this, mate:

Get a Haynes manual. Then also download a service manual (PDF from Downloads section). If you have any questions after having read those, I'd be more than happy to answer. Even more than happy to do it myself if you travel through Novi Sad, Serbia!

A Haynes manual - 20sh euro papers that save 10 times more time, hassle etc.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2012, 08:05:08 am »
Most auto and bike caliper bleed nipples are the same size.  Measure the bike ones and buy tubing to suit.  There's no definitive size, it depends to an extent on how flexible the tubing is.

Get a large syringe that fits the tubing and use it to part-empty the master cylinder reservoir.  With care, you can also use it as a vacuum device to suck fluid through or - extreme care required - push fluid into the caliper to expel difficult air bubbles.

DOT-4 fluid is a specific standard so all makes will be much the same.  I'd buy a litre to be sure you have enough.  Overkill most likely but better than having to leave the job halfway to get more. :)

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2012, 09:49:36 am »
A most important point is cover your paintwork with old towels or something similar. Brake fluid is paint stripper in disguise . . . .
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2012, 10:26:20 am »
Thanks everyone :)
I've gone with 500ml after looking at a few 'how tos' on the internet - if I need more halfords is just down the road :)

Slaninar, I've got a Haynes manual, unfortunately, it never seems to say the size of any tool, just says use the tool... :\

Luckily, I've found a bit of tubing in the shed that fits on, so I'll use that, it's not long, but doesn't really need to be :)

You and your syringes Mike...

Hopefully there aren't any air bubbles to worry about, just a straight swap... (he says)

Good point Ziggy, I'll make sure the bike's covered :D

Thanks again everyone

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2012, 10:45:58 am »
I use a piece of tube, plastic/rubber, thin just enough to put over the bleed nipple. Bought from DIY store. Bought another, thinner transparent tube to put into it, zip tie it. Than 3rd one, thinnest. This lets me see the flow and any bubbles. I pump old oil out and as it pours out I add fresh oil in. So bubbles never get in the system at all. It's a different sport if you clean calipers and take the whole pistons out. Then you need to drain all the bubbles.

It looks like this, with tubes overlaping a bit:

***  ______________
     * _________________________________________
     * _________________________________________
     * ______________

Stars are the bleed nipple.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

scousy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2012, 01:03:10 pm »
i usually have water at hand ( incase of any spill's ) as brake fluid is water soluble and hose off the calipers after i've finished to wash away any residue  :)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2012, 09:01:44 pm »
Over the years I have tried and failed miserably many times to bleed the brakes. I now don't bother and take it to my local dealer and pay 1/2 labour for them to do it.....lazy I know but at least its done right with the correct equipment

The Male Whale

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1300 Pan European/ZZR 1400
    • View Profile
    • Celtic Motorcycles
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2012, 06:13:34 am »
At the shop, we use this:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=28811&Referrer=froogle

You do need a compressor though.

The job then takes around 20 minutes front and back with no difficulty in getting all the air out. Uses around 200 mls of fluid usually and we charge £30. Not worth getting your spanners out for that!

Other brake bleeders are available.

Whale
On the Gas! :stop