Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:58 pm

Author Topic: Rear tyre balancing question  (Read 4550 times)

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Rear tyre balancing question
« on: 24 March 2018, 04:34:17 pm »
Hey up Foccers, I put a new rear tyre on yesterday,  when I asked about balancing he said I would need to strip brake disc and drive cog off first, is he speaking shit or am I worrying over nothing just a question for future reference as next time then I'll probably renew both items whilst all stripped.

cl1ve2004

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - vstrom 650 al8
    • View Profile
Re: Rear tyre balancing question
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2018, 04:49:31 pm »
As long as the balancing dot on the new tyre is in line with the valve,balancing should be easy.. no need to remove anything..

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2018, 05:58:21 pm »

Has anyone seen or tried these?
 http://innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2018, 08:22:27 pm »
The "cog" (and carrier) just pulls off as it's only held in the wheel by the friction of the cush rubbers.  It is always removed for balancing.  I've never seen anyone remove a disk to balance a wheel...
Intentionally left blank

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2018, 09:00:05 pm »
Thanks guys appreciate all replies

Mustang

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2018, 10:13:51 pm »
I leave my sprocket carrier and Cush drive on for balancing. Never had an imbalance

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2018, 11:12:19 pm »
Hey up Foccers, I put a new rear tyre on yesterday,  when I asked about balancing he said I would need to strip brake disc and drive cog off first, is he speaking shit or am I worrying over nothing just a question for future reference as next time then I'll probably renew both items whilst all stripped.

Balance the wheel as it will be on the bike.

crussell92

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2018, 08:21:09 am »
I fit my tyres myself and never balance the wheels, never had any kind of balance  problem on any bike thus far so if you find the same i wouldn't worry

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2018, 09:38:58 pm »
Did 80 miles today including motorway speeds also 2 up. All seems well as you said :D

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2018, 10:41:24 pm »

I fit my tyres myself and never balance the wheels, never had any kind of balance  problem on any bike thus far so if you find the same i wouldn't worry

You wont have problem, but watch the tyre wear, if tyres are not balanced you will see a part of the tyre wear quicker, this is usually the heaviest part of rim and tyre pairing.
It is rare to get a tyre rim combination not requiring balancing after fitting, often the balance may only be out by 10-20grams and most will never notice an issue.
However go over that and you will definitely feel it  because an out of balance rim/tyre combination causes vibration.

Each to his own, I also fit my own tyres and always balance front and rear.

crussell92

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2018, 06:10:46 am »
Not that im trying to say you're wrong, but I can't see how balancing would make that much of a difference to the tyre wear. Logically if the wheel is vibrating as it's going round it's going to generate more heat and maybe wear out quicker? But if you feel your tyre after a ride in the summer i don't think it would make any noticeable difference. The only thing I could think of it affecting longer term is the wheel bearings as they vibrate on the axle.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2018, 08:03:03 am »
Your wheels should be balanced with the brake discs in place, the wheel rotates with the discs on why would you remove them balance the wheel and then put discs back on for them to possibly put the wheel out of balance again. It is always recommended to balance wheels with new tyres, tyres can sometimes take up to 40 Grams to balance them, those sort of imbalances can cause the wheel to throw as that area hit the road at incredible speeds, causing a bumping feeling, wheel wobble, vibration, noise and tyre wear. I would hasten to add that funnily enough this was a conversation I had with the tyre fitter yesterday when I had a new Bridgestone T30 fitted to the front of my old girl.

Alex and Darron are the guys (A-Force Motorcycles of Aldershot) that I trust to work on my bike, they are the experts, so I will take there wisdom onboard and always get my tyres balanced.
It seems to me that taking the twin disks off you bike and balancing the wheel in some ways a bit like removing you air filter element, balancing and tweaking your carbs, then connecting up the air filter again.

Nemesis

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2018, 10:06:38 am »
It was the rear I was on about Tommy but logically I agree with you surely any wheel front or back should be balanced with all the tackle attached, I,'ll see how it goes for now and sort if any issues arise, but will balance rear next time.

Gaz66

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR800 Fi (1999)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2018, 09:55:31 am »
Yes, he's talking bollox.
Everything that has mass & rotates will vibrate & needs balancing, you may be unable to detect it, but it will defo vibrate if not balanced.
Personally I leave all components fitted (discs & sprocket carrier etc) achieves a better dynamic balance of all rotating parts, most tyre fitting places don't balance with sprocket carrier fitted tho.
All depends on what equipment you're using to balance a wheel.
ie) Electronic Dynamic balancer
ie) Home DIY frame type balancer
I fit & balance my own tyres & use lead bike specific weights, I have access to both types of blancers but prefer the frame type for bike wheels.
I'd never allow a tyre fitter to balance my wheels, they don't seem to give a shit about how they remove old balance weights or consider where they slap on on fugly balance weights... But then I'm OCD as F***K.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 10:01:21 am by Gaz66 »

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2018, 11:16:16 am »
 :agree

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2018, 06:45:41 pm »
Yes, he's talking bollox.
Everything that has mass & rotates will vibrate & needs balancing, you may be unable to detect it, but it will defo vibrate if not balanced.
Personally I leave all components fitted (discs & sprocket carrier etc) achieves a better dynamic balance of all rotating parts, most tyre fitting places don't balance with sprocket carrier fitted tho.
All depends on what equipment you're using to balance a wheel.
ie) Electronic Dynamic balancer
ie) Home DIY frame type balancer
I fit & balance my own tyres & use lead bike specific weights, I have access to both types of blancers but prefer the frame type for bike wheels.
I'd never allow a tyre fitter to balance my wheels, they don't seem to give a shit about how they remove old balance weights or consider where they slap on on fugly balance weights... But then I'm OCD as F***K.

Yeah I was gutted about this myself. I have lovely gold powdercoated wheels and they go and stick two fugly lumps of grey metal on them, could have at least asked me first.
I know its superficial but you'd think they'd do coloured ones by now haha

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 April 2018, 10:15:51 pm »
They do them in 2 colours Black or Silver,  you painted your wheels the wrong colour :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2018, 08:13:21 pm »
I test my rear wheel on the bike, put it up on paddock stand  and run it through the gears up to high revs,,,it does not jump or vibrate,,good enough so far
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.