Date: 30-04-24  Time: 20:12 pm

Author Topic: anyone done high-temp spray paint of downpipes  (Read 6061 times)

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
Re: anyone done high-temp spray paint of downpipes
« Reply #25 on: 07 September 2014, 12:00:50 pm »
My collector box had rusted through a touch, only about the size of a 5p, so i removed the pipes and had a mate weld a small plate over the hole, then dressed it up a bit and cleaned the pipes with a wire brush and a final rub-down with fine emery paper.
Bought a can of High temp paint from B&Q, the stuff used for stoves and used all the can on the pipes, the can was good for three decent coats.
Still looking good after six months use, although i do also have a fender defender jobbie on the front mudguard, so that keeps a lot of crap off the pipes.
Life's a long song....

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 September 2014, 03:25:23 pm »
How did you find the header bolts mate? In term of getting them out without stripping or shearing.  I used two large cans of wd40 spraying every morning and night over the bolts before attempting removal... Not sure if it was necessary though??
Three lefts make a right

MISSION CONTROL

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 September 2014, 05:11:25 pm »
I generally use spray stove black on exhaust pipes and every now and then, spray them with silicone.

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #28 on: 15 September 2014, 11:02:40 pm »
Sorry for the late reply tweety, to be honest mate, they came off dead easy.....but probably because the cylinder head had been off not long before, to have some work done on it, so they had been copper greased by the guy who did the work.
If i had done them before it went in, i would probably have sprayed them a few times with WD, just to allow for penetration before getting the socket on them.

G ; )
Life's a long song....

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 September 2014, 07:17:17 pm »
Sorry for the late reply tweety, to be honest mate, they came off dead easy.....but probably because the cylinder head had been off not long before, to have some work done on it, so they had been copper greased by the guy who did the work.
If i had done them before it went in, i would probably have sprayed them a few times with WD, just to allow for penetration before getting the socket on them.

G ; )
All okay mate. Apologies... I should have reposted that I got them off by spraying with wilko lube £99p per 300ml. Cheap WD40 subs. All okay. Cleaned and sprayed. Cheers
Three lefts make a right