Date: 30-04-24  Time: 17:50 pm

Author Topic: I'm at it again, poor Fazer  (Read 2816 times)

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
I'm at it again, poor Fazer
« on: 16 October 2013, 05:32:13 am »
My poor little Fazer must hate me for wanting to do horrible things to it, yes I only rebuilt it last year after buying it with the new engine hanging in it by 2 bolts and 3 carbs later got it going right, but I have her parked up for a few weeks now and went out yesterday to a flat battery. :'(

But that's not the point, while I was rebuilding it I noticed fairly bad rusting in front and rear of the frame(behind the fairings) also in the bottom of the frame

So I have decided to do a full bare back naked strip and either oh fashioned sand by hand and paint bla bla bla or get it sandblasted.(opinions welcomed here)

It's a black 99fzs with a black frame but I was planing on going abit maroon on the frame, the same colour as the frame on a 09 r1 cross plane crank maroon, hoping it will turn out something like this.( I know is a kawi but only pic I could find with the colours I'm looking for)

But any ideas on the Swingarm, should I leave as is? Or do a chrome polished finish? Still in idea stage but starting to strip at the minute :eek
« Last Edit: 16 October 2013, 05:34:20 am by reillypadraig »

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
Re: I'm at it again, poor Fazer
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2013, 09:06:10 am »
If you decide to polish your swing arm yourself, be warned, it's a long, dirty and laborious job. Then you will have a lot of polishing keeping it looking nice.

As for wether you should do it? Well I wouldn't. It's a bit too USA bling for me. But that's just my opinion and you did ask, so don't hate me!
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2013, 09:45:52 am »
Ur opinion is appreciated, maybe looking after a shiny Swingarm is abit much, just wasn't sure if I should paint it aswel or not,.

I'm not going for the total ponse look, just the frame and bits and pieces, won't be covering the bike in race stickers and all that, just want to get rid of rust is main job and I liked the look of the maroon colour job, thought it might be a nice change, doubt I'd be able to get the group buy now on the pipes eh? Think that shop had sailed for me Fazer,

Just on a note, anyone know the colour code for that maroon colour on the frame of the r1??

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2013, 10:50:35 am »
Personally, I think the maroon colour could work quite well against glossy black paint. You'd have more of it visible on the Fazer too. But if you're going to strip right down to a bare frame, I would say it would be worth getting a really good finish. Sand blasting followed by powder coating, so you can be sure all the rust is gone and won't reappear in a hurry. I wonder if some bright chrome touches (maybe engine covers, cam end-caps etc?) might look ok too?
Hmmmm, not really sure myself either, but another idea to consider...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2013, 11:38:57 am »
I thought it might look cool with a red frame too. So I had a friend photoshop some frame colours for me. I was surprised by the result - and not pleasently.

The Deef's apprentice

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2013, 01:05:06 pm »
Tell your friend hes done a great photoshop job.
With a black fazer I think that the silver looks the best -----------------in fact I like it vey much and think it should of been that colour all along.
Just a note on the photoshop silver is that the actual silver will look much better as silver in a photoshop job like that is inpossible to do and can look just grey, but should give an idea.
I fancy polishing my cam end caps, can I just take em off or will lots of engine stuff fall out
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2013, 01:15:10 pm »
You can remove the cam end caps with no worry at all - they are pretty much just for show :P

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2013, 02:33:14 pm »
Is a really good photoshop,  fair deuce .

Not sure if ill powder coat it, might just get it primed and get it properly sprayed by a panel beater,. Might just polish the cam caps, it's a good idea, but I wonder how the Swingarm would look painted aswel,

Wel got some good feedback on this so far, think I might spray the engine while I have it out aswel

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2013, 09:01:56 pm »
Hey ChristoT. You been to Jersey/St Malo on Condor Ferries?

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2013, 08:07:36 am »
I'm not going to suggest a colour as that's personal (I like the triumph daytona blue frame  :lol )

But if you're going to do the swingarm the same colour as the frame then I'd also do the lower fork legs to even the bike out!
Some say...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2013, 09:15:55 am »
If you are going to go to the trouble to strip down why not powdercoat

reillypadraig

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2013, 10:54:05 am »
I'm not going to suggest a colour as that's personal (I like the triumph daytona blue frame  :lol )

But if you're going to do the swingarm the same colour as the frame then I'd also do the lower fork legs to even the bike out!
That did cross my mind, but I don't know which would look better. I didn't wana get everything done and then go, wait a minute that looks shite. Then have to strip the new paint and go down the shiney route.

If you are going to go to the trouble to strip down why not powdercoat

Tbh I didn't put much thought into it because I haven't go to price a powdercoat for it, I just got a price for it to be resprayed by a panel beater. Not sure if it's cheaper or not.

One question, if any of you guys wer doing it, would you go and do the Swingarm and forks aswel? What about the top yoke? Mine is a kinda crap flakey silvery colour and I wana clean it up aswel, colour of frame or shine?

Just looking for your own opinions if you had to do it to your own bike

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2013, 12:21:45 pm »
shiney top yoak
Forks - depends if they look crap with stone chips (like mine)
Swing arm I would just clean up as on our bikes they are not rearly a big feature and not prety to look at and best not to draw attention to them

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2013, 01:44:29 pm »
I would get the frame powder coated. Spray paint doesn't have the durability in comparison. I think powder coating is cheaper too. I had a pair of rims done for £75, so a frame should be in that ball park. If you do powder coat make sure you use a company that regularly does bikes or is dedicated to bikes. Don't use the companies that powder coat everything and do bikes as part of their business.

BluprintZ

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Stiwdio Eglwys
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2013, 11:09:18 am »
I agree with the powdercoating comments, i had my Ducati Monster frame done in red and the footrest hangers in silver grey and i was very pleased with the results.
Paint tends to chip quite easily, whereas the powdercoating will take a lot more punishment, i had a couple of coats of clear lacquer added as well  and that gave it a bit more protection.
The powdercoating is a lot easier to keep clean as well, just a squirt with WD40 and a wipe down with a cloth and it comes up a treat.

G ; )
Life's a long song....