Date: 01-05-24  Time: 06:36 am

Author Topic: Fuel Economy  (Read 1351 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Fuel Economy
« on: 03 April 2013, 12:50:41 am »
Well after my ranting about getting about 32mpg around town, and thinking there was something wrong with the bike, I feel I must make a public apology!
Have done two longer journeys on the old girl now and I was bloody impressed, did a tank of 195 miles, about 155 of that was motorways and 50 odd of that was very short run commuting - mpg on that tank worked out to be 52mpg! Didn't think that was at all bad as I averaged about 85/90mph for pretty much the entire run home from London to Leicester, fully loaded with my hard luggage on the back!
Had an even better result today, went out for a bit of a quick leisure blast, it was still pretty nippy out and there seemed to be cars everywhere so I couldn't properly hammer the old girl around, but on my tank of 100 miles, roughly 50 motorway and 50 having a blast, I got an mpg reading of 56.6mpg! Not bleeding bad at all that in my book, from a 1000cc pretty powerful engine!
Must admit, as much as I loved the top end scream of my old ninja 900 there's something lovely about the midrange on the FZS, the amount of time I spent today trying to put it into 7th! Even when I was at the twisties I was alternating between third and fourth for most of the time and the old girl was surfing the mid-range like a goodun.

They've got quite weird fuelling characteristics though as stock haven't they, I can tell it's running lean as it's quite hard to maintain a completely neutral throttle, and going from closed to open throttle does resort in a bit of jerking. Even more weirdly when I got home the bike smelt quite petrolly (usually a sign in my book of the bike running rich) which I don't really understand, I had flled it up so it may have been leaking a tad out of the overflow pipe or something, but I'd done 20 odd miles between the petrol station and my house!
All i need to do now is win the Euromillions; set of clipons, suspension upgrade, nice set of race wheels and a decent jet kit and setup, and this bike would be a BEAST.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Economy
« Reply #1 on: 03 April 2013, 07:22:40 am »
Joe
My gen1 has the full monty jet kit , has been dynoed at 139 at rear wheel, and near perfect fuel air ratio. Its a very good machine at converting fuel into power ( not by efficiency but judged against otherbikes)...BUT it also does mean more throttle = less mpg ! ..it really is all about speed and throttle opening. On a tour at legalish speeds, I have achived 50 to 55 mpg , but on a short blast enjoying the thrill of the acceleration , its below 40 mpg ! ..once got 23 mpg at a track day ...

My GS has a mpg average monitor and its quite gobsmacking to see it fall as the throttle widens.At 60 mph in top it can be up to 60mpg. At 100mph cruising its 38 !...the average on a mixed bag of riding is 47.8 ...reckon my fazer would be similar IF I can keep the throttle under control....

Have to say its easier to get better mpg on the GS cos its motor isnt as addictive as the fazer . :rolleyes ..nowt like that awesome pull  :)

smegfish1

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 April 2013, 08:19:12 pm »
Hey Joe, have a look at the Ivan thread. Mine was the same until mike did his magic. Took my new tyres out for a run around Melton way this afto,like you said it was a bit chilly but God it's good to get out again!

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 April 2013, 08:42:43 pm »
I regularly get 50 mpg from mine, and it is stock and has way enough 'go' for me. I did take out the new semi water cooled GS yesterday and that has less vibes than the air cooled one and boy did it pull in top 60 to the ton in no time but having an instant mpg read out was sort of distracting, how high you could get it at a steady 70 and how low can you get it go etc. Still a very nice though expensive bike.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2013, 09:37:42 pm »
+ 1 about reading the Ivan's Jet kit thread. And the good news is it's less than a rear tyre to buy, so if you've got an afternoon and basic mechanical skills, it's a no brainer to sort the fuelling and get an even better bike.