Date: 29-05-24  Time: 16:07 pm

Author Topic: Garden ramp access ideas  (Read 9362 times)

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Garden ramp access ideas
« on: 25 November 2011, 10:48:43 am »
moved house, thought I could get rear access, but no.  So to get the bike in I need to get it down the step at the front of the house and down the side way.

Ideas front the Foccer crowd?  it is 5 steps down, less than a metre drop I guess.  There is about 3 metres length to play with before the front door.  Access needs to remain pedestrian friendly as the (Old) neighbour has right of access along the path and steps.  it is too steep to be rideable but I was thinking about putting a channel / ramp next to the steps so I can walk up and down the steps and the bike gets wheeled down the ramp / motored up but with me walking next to it.  I think that would work ok.  Anyone down anything similar?  What did you use?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Garden ramp access ideas
« Reply #1 on: 25 November 2011, 11:28:53 am »
Can you make the steps wider? If so, just make a cement ramp on the extension part.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 November 2011, 11:50:20 am »
HI Alan what about a disabled access path crossing the front of the property at an angle?
The Frying Scotsman

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2011, 11:59:35 am »
Difficult to say just from the pic. but I reckon an old railway sleeper would make a good ramp?
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2011, 12:01:39 pm »
If there is room for a ramp at the side, fair enough.
Wouldn't recommend losing either handrail though, wobbly old folks need lots of things to hold.
Riding the bike up and down sounds like it would be a lot safer than walking beside it whilst balancing throttle and clutch.

Or, if the bike will fit down that existing gap, you could just get a steel ramp and put it in position every time you go in or out (remembering to go back and stow it out of the neighbour's way each time).

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2011, 12:07:08 pm »
i was originally thinking about a diagonal path but it will look really ugly (cutting the front garden in half), will need a lot of earth moving and I'll end up with two entrances as i can't remove the existing one due to neighbours access.  The gradient would probably be about 1 in 5 for that path.  Maybe good for wheelchair users and push chairs though (until they get to the front door anyway). 

I'm thinking along the lines of a ramp next to the (re-built) steps right now.  I want it to be a permanent fitting and look nice too!  I already removed teh right hand guard rail to make moving in easier.  it looks better, neighbour is fine with it.

I think the ramp will need:
    * to start as close to the pavement as possible, and end a paving slab out from the front door to get the gentlest slope possible in the space..
    * It makes sense to re-profile the steps and space them out so the gradient of the steps is lower than currently (perhaps use double paving slabs at each step) so the differential in steps and ramp is minor.
    * Ramp could be made out of drainage channels like these: http://www.tobermore.co.uk/water_channels.aspx or custom fabricated with cast concrete
    * There needs to be some space between the channel and the rebuilt wall to allow space for the engine, pegs and can too
    * Need to ensure the trip hazard is low so the space between channel and rebuilt wall would need to be sloped, or a garden or something people don't walk on.
    * Do I need a guard rail or anything at the top to stop silly people falling down it?
    * Probably won't have a hand rail on the rebuilt wall due to bars clashing with it - also discourage people using that side of the steps
    * Will concrete have enough grip for a 1 in 3 ish slope in the wet?

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2011, 12:20:45 pm »
    * Will concrete have enough grip for a 1 in 3 ish slope in the wet?

it would if you either cemented batons into it like rumble strips, use marine ply and well varnished if using wood or else you could use paving blocks! or you could just try a rough texture!

Personally i'd use paving bricks that way it would look better.
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2011, 12:32:31 pm »
shadow the back brake and jump it lol
Its just a ride

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2011, 03:51:56 pm »
How about a converted stannah stairlift?
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2011, 05:17:58 pm »
 :lol You can joke but I do actually have an Acorn chairlift to get rid of that was in the house.....

It does fail on the Ugly criteria though!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2011, 06:20:10 pm »
Put a hydraulic bike lift at the bottom of the stairs with a pull out ramp to bridge the gap to the pavement.

(I wrote that as a joke, but thinking about it, it might actually work!)

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2011, 12:28:14 am »
any pics from/of the front? (without giving obvious location info)

couple of scaffolding planks fixed side by side might do the job? they could be left round the back by the side of the fence when not in use. should cost less than £50

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2011, 02:48:39 am »
I wouldn't use anything wooden gets very slippy when wet.
Rough tamp Will get plenty of grip on concrete.
There's a few ways to do it, but it depends on how much you want to spend.
Widening the tread of the steps and lowering the riser height per step would seem the best option to me, You seem to have the space to do it.
would need photo's of the front to see it from all angles to may proper judgement.

Are these steps actually within your property boundary ?
They look like they are public steps on the highway (footpaths are highway)
You will need council permission ( highway inspector will need to give permission ) and they will dictate who you can employ to do the works (Streetworks Registered Public Indemnity insurance and such)
And what you do will have to comply with regs, You may find that you have to put tactiles above and below the steps, even if they ain't there now, to comply with current regs,

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2011, 09:09:29 am »
I wouldn't use anything wooden gets very slippy when wet.

Very true! However Gringo's suggestion of a couple of planks seems an easy way round it if you could fix something onto the planks to provide grip. Some of the wooden bridges round here for cycles and pedestrians have wire mesh attached for grip, but probably not be good enough for a motor bike on a steep slope. Someone may be able to suggest something better?
I think you would also need to provide some sort of retainer to ensure the planks don't move when in use. Final thought, two scaffolding planks together will be very heavy so maybe a couple of removable retainers for that as well.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2011, 11:12:29 am »
If you decide on the planks option, use pva adhesive and apply some sharp sand to create grip.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2011, 12:59:15 pm »
What about a ramp that motocross bikes use to get into vans?

http://shop.1stmx.co.uk/drc-folding-motocross-motorcycle-loading-ramp-18m-258-p.asp

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2011, 10:24:59 am »
Steps are within my boundary but do have to provide access for next door.  Couldn't see anything about building regs for garden steps on private land but being sensible about not being dangerous is a good idea!  i think tactile strips is a bit much!  More worried about any potential slip down the ramp section.

Thought of temporary ramps but don't really want to have to take one out each time I want to get the bike out so was looking for more permanent ideas.  Paving bricks might be good as they will look less like a gutter / ramp.

Will consider whilst trying to take the chair off the chairlift rail this afternoon.  Bloody heavy.  Anyone want a dirty old Acorn chairlift?

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2011, 11:16:24 am »
If the steps provide access to another dwelling then it's likely you 'own' the stair on some sort of lease basis? It's very likely you'll need some sort of land-lord approval for anything permanent. Possibly Building Control (local authority) as well.
The picture isn't terribly clear but is that the handrail just in view on the left? Meaning the stair is pretty much entirely what's visible? Making it around 80cms wide?
If that's the case it'll be difficult to install anything permanent I'd have thought. But there may be some options worth exploring.

Pm me if you'd like any further help - I do this sort of stuff for a living..

S
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

GringoRojo

• Otter baiting foccer
    FOC-U Dancing on Ice Champion 2010
    Aug 08
    Oct 08
    Sept 09
  • GP Hero
  • a Doonhamer in exile
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger800XC
    • View Profile
    • a two wheeled charity ride without engines
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2011, 10:23:41 pm »
how about using the two scaffolding planks idea but having the left side (as you look at it in the photo) hinged so that you can lift the planks/ramp out of the way. you could lock it up with a padlock/disclock etc to avoid it falling on anyone. the angle it would lie at when flat would mean that the high corner would move away from the pavement so wouldn't cause an obstruction. but the other end would need to have clearance obviously - would that affect your neighbour on that side - is that the one you share the steps with?

Sunny Intervals

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 November 2011, 03:10:18 pm »
Tactiles wouldn't be needed, if steps are on your property and they are effectively the access to it ( tactiles are put in for blind/partially sighted people to warn them of steps, nothing to do with grip  :rollin )
Just the steps looked Public from the design and the  tarmac path.

Really need more closer pictures to see what we're dealing with here  :)

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 November 2011, 04:52:50 pm »
The steps are on my property.  It is ex council hence the public look.  Next door have a right of access which is not formalised in the deeds but is fairly obvious as it is the only access to their property (also privately owned).

I don't think the steps are wide enough to use a temporary ramp as I won't have enough space to stand next to the bike!  So some remodelling is required anyway.  Good thinking about the ramp on hinges and pulling it up out of the way though.

Bit stuck for taking photos with the lack of light in the evenings after work.

paul1606

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2011, 06:32:49 pm »
If next door share your steps build a concrete ramp across their garden, Fairs fair dont you think??

BIG MAC

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2011, 02:30:39 pm »
Get someone to fabricate a trolley which is effectively two upturned isoceles triangles with a chequer plate deck fastened to the underside of the triangles and an axle at the apex the deck should engage on the upper step and shallow the angle down, if too steep add a further section which hinges and folds back on the deck so taking up no more space. I would budget £500 to get it fabricated but you may find something you can adapt if budget is an issue. This approcah allows you to keep it round the back and wheel it out when needed (make sure no wider than your garden gate)
The Frying Scotsman

BIG MAC

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
The Frying Scotsman

BIG MAC