Date: 10-05-24  Time: 23:30 pm

Author Topic: Should we be concerned?  (Read 5253 times)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Should we be concerned?
« on: 16 August 2013, 10:26:31 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23713732

The new measures to combat "antisocial driving" are coming into force today but a few of the bullet points concerned me,

"Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic" & "Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout"

How will these effect filtering?

I can't find anything on the interweb and the department of transport statement/news coverage is especially vague. The IAM and MAG haven't said anything on their respective websites either.

I think it's going to come down to discretion of the officer, we're all doomed...
thou shalt not kick

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
Re: Should we be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2013, 11:04:11 am »
"   Being in the wrong lane and pushing into a queue on a roundabout"

When you are driving somewhere new, or on one of those multi-lane roundabouts where the lines disappear once you're on it, it's easy to end up in the wrong lane. If it happens to me I usually engage proximity and vector alertness mode to make my way across safely, but to discover that this could become a points & fine offence is a joke. I hope it's context based and just aimed at people who deliberately whizz down the outside to cut in at the last minute (often dangerously) but who knows how it will be enforced.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2013, 11:23:19 am »
think this is aimed at bmw and audi drivers  :rolleyes ....as long as you filter and pull in safe and not annoy other road users we will be fine  ;) 
One, is never going to be enough.....

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2013, 11:28:40 am »
I think these new fines are just the thing to encourage people to use motorways properly like they do on the continent. I've been looking at the comments on the BBC website regarding these new measures and the number of morons coming up with self justification for sitting in the middle and overtaking lanes is staggering. 'Makes me want to emigrate, this country is full of selfish thickheads.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2013, 01:34:13 pm »
The fact that we're now passing laws based on "pet hates" rather than safety issues concerns me more than anything else here.
The middle lane hogging thing only causes traffic jams because it's illegal to undertake. If that was made legal it wouldn't be a problem at all.
Also, this "Overtaking and pushing into a queue of traffic" concerns me as well, it all depends on the situation.
Take for example a closed lane on a motorway. How often do you see signs saying "Lane Closed 1 Mile Ahead" and everyone cramming into the other two lanes?
I make a point of using the empty lane until I see the cones, and piss everyone off when I try to "push in". But think about it, if everyone did that you'd reduce the tailback by 33%.
If we adopted the German 'zipper rule' this would work a lot better:
    • Zipper rule: When traffic is congested, normal right-of-way rules go out the window and the "zipper rule" (Reißverschluss) goes into effect.  This means that cars feed one at a time alternating from each direction, regardless of who has the posted right-of-way.  The zipper rule also applies when one lane ends and merges into another-- each vehicle in the through lane must allow one vehicle from the truncated lane to merge in. [/size][/font]

• [/size]Rule 134 of the highway code recommends it, but it's not yet law, so when I go to the front of the queue and follow this recommendation could I risk a fine and points?
    Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
    too fucked up to care any more.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
    • GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZS 1000 Gen1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: 16 August 2013, 01:38:34 pm »
    I believe we refer to the zipper rule as "merge in turn"?

I do agree, that these new laws seem to contradict that though, and make it actually punishable to do it?

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
      • Main bike:
        FZS600 02-03
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: 16 August 2013, 01:49:33 pm »
    Yeah I see the signs saying that a lot round my area, but no-one seems to know what they mean.  :rolleyes

peterjca

« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2013, 02:24:02 pm »
    It's simply another review generating scheme dressed up in safety clothes.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
      • Main bike:
        Other
      • - SV650s
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: 16 August 2013, 03:13:20 pm »
    The fact that we're now passing laws based on "pet hates"...

I thought they were already rules and that they are merely being enforced more rigorously? If that's the care then filtering should be fine but moving to the front of a queue at lights/roundabouts and using the bike's acceleration to get might be punishable? I think it's purposefully vague to prevent people protesting against "judgements".
    thou shalt not kick

stevierst

• GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZS 1000 Gen1
      • - XSR900
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: 16 August 2013, 04:42:19 pm »
    The fact that we're now passing laws based on "pet hates"...

I thought they were already rules and that they are merely being enforced more rigorously? If that's the care then filtering should be fine but moving to the front of a queue at lights/roundabouts and using the bike's acceleration to get might be punishable? I think it's purposefully vague to prevent people protesting against "judgements".
    These 'rules' already existed, but as you say, they're now just being enforced a bit more.
    As for filtering through traffic, no change. Get to the front, and accelerate away on green.
    As long as you keep your distance from the vehicle in front, keep left, and don't try and bully your way into traffic, you'll be fine!
    Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

AdieR

• Club Racer
      • Main bike:
        FZ6 S2 07-09
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: 16 August 2013, 05:47:05 pm »
    These aren't new rules, it's merely a new method of punishment without the time / cost implications of bringing a case to court.
    Hopefully it'll encourage some of the retarded twats to pay more attention to the road.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
    • GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZ6 04-06
      • View Profile
      • Affordable Leather Products
    « Reply #11 on: 16 August 2013, 05:55:38 pm »
    As their Analysis piece says "It's worth bearing in mind that this isn't a new offence, it is just another way of dealing with the current offence of "careless driving".

The short version is that as long as you don't drive or ride like a twunt, you should be ok :thumbup

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
    • GP Hero
    • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
      • Main bike:
        FZS600 98-99
      • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: 16 August 2013, 08:00:24 pm »
    The Deef's apprentice

Skippernick

• GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZS600 02-03
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: 16 August 2013, 09:20:58 pm »
    Guys you are worrying over nothing, yes these are new rules or whatever, BUT the fact remains you still need a copper there to enforce it, more rules but no extra coppers  so it won't really be a problem.
    Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZS 1000 Gen1
      • - XSR900
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: 17 August 2013, 07:49:07 am »

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
    • GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZ6 04-06
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: 18 August 2013, 12:57:35 am »
    twunt

I like that.  :lol :lol :lol
    +1 that's getting re-used :D:D

Glad you like it, but it's not originally mine. I think I got it from others on here some time ago...

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
    • GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZ6 04-06
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: 18 August 2013, 12:59:13 am »
    So, the law has been changed to make it easier for Police to fine people for inconsiderate or careless driving. Great, but where are the Police to enforce this? The A3 southbound this evening could have done with one...

I was in Lane 1 and there was a car ahead of me, so I checked my mirrors and saw a car behind me in Lane 1 and another some distance back in Lane 2. There was also a van ahead in Lane 2, but nothing close enough to cause any problems.

Fine, no problems, I indicate, pull out and suddenly realise that the car behind me in Lane 1 (a silver Mercedes) is coming past *inside* me. Not only that, but he then pulls out into Lane 2, ahead of me, to pass the car I was trying to pass, then cuts *back into* Lane 1 to undertake the van in Lane 2 and finally, for an encore, he pulls back out again into Lane 2, thence to Lane 3 before cutting back into Lane 2 to undertake a vehicle in Lane 3!!

It's at times like this that I wish I had a helmet camera  :2guns

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
      • Main bike:
        FZS600 02-03
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: 18 August 2013, 07:39:06 am »
    So, the law has been changed to make it easier for Police to fine people for inconsiderate or careless driving. Great, but where are the Police to enforce this? The A3 southbound this evening could have done with one...

I was in Lane 1 and there was a car ahead of me, so I checked my mirrors and saw a car behind me in Lane 1 and another some distance back in Lane 2. There was also a van ahead in Lane 2, but nothing close enough to cause any problems.

Fine, no problems, I indicate, pull out and suddenly realise that the car behind me in Lane 1 (a silver Mercedes) is coming past *inside* me. Not only that, but he then pulls out into Lane 2, ahead of me, to pass the car I was trying to pass, then cuts *back into* Lane 1 to undertake the van in Lane 2 and finally, for an encore, he pulls back out again into Lane 2, thence to Lane 3 before cutting back into Lane 2 to undertake a vehicle in Lane 3!!

It's at times like this that I wish I had a helmet camera  :2guns

Reminds me of this:  :D

JZS 600

• GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZS600 02-03
      • - VFR 1200 FD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: 18 August 2013, 12:08:38 pm »
    [size=78%]Fine, no problems, I indicate, pull out and suddenly realise that the car behind me in Lane 1 (a silver Mercedes) is coming past *inside* me. Not only that, but he then pulls out into Lane 2, ahead of me, to pass the car I was trying to pass, then cuts *back into* Lane 1 to undertake the van in Lane 2 and finally, for an encore, he pulls back out again into Lane 2, thence to Lane 3 before cutting back into Lane 2 to undertake a vehicle in Lane 3!![/size]

I think the operative adjective in this case is "fucktard"

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
      • Main bike:
        FZS600 00-01
      • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: 19 August 2013, 12:03:23 am »
    How do you differentiate pushing in from just changing lanes in traffic?

stevierst

• GP Hero
      • Main bike:
        FZS 1000 Gen1
      • - XSR900
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: 19 August 2013, 07:04:59 am »
    How do you differentiate pushing in from just changing lanes in traffic?
    its pretty much where there's no room for your vehicle, and you just force your way in to a line of traffic. Doesn't really count for bikes.

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
      • Main bike:
        Other
      • - SV650s
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: 19 August 2013, 07:38:52 am »
    I suppose it only takes one traffic cop with a grudge against bikers to pull you and this just gives him more options. Maybe it's more important to wonder if he can catch you as you filter through 3miles of traffic.
    thou shalt not kick