Date: 28-04-24  Time: 11:46 am

Author Topic: Chain replacement story and tips  (Read 4137 times)

Blisteredfingerz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Chain replacement story and tips
« on: 31 May 2013, 11:13:55 pm »
Did my first ever chain and sprocket change today on my 2000 FZS 600 using an open ended chain.

Purchased a DID chain and sprocket kit from ebay for £96 and this tool for £24 which was fantastic;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380437276686

For those that have not carried out the task themselves I would like to say it was an easy and straight forward job if you have the correct tools and was cheaper and more satisfying than taking it to the garage.

However, I did make some mistakes which I would like to share with you so you do not make the same ones.

Mistakes I made
Firstly I removed the chain before loosening the front sprocket so then had to reattach the chain to be able to do this.
Secondly I felt sure that I had the 32mm socket needed for the front sprocket.....I didnt and had to take a trip to HELLfords to get one.
Thirdly I should have worn rubber gloves as it was a mucky as hell task.

Tips
*Dont make the above mistakes.
*Use your Haynes manual.
*I was gobsmacked by the sheer amount of crud that collects under the cover of the front sprocket, so even if you are not due a chain/sprocket      change I would advise removal and cleaning of this cover every month. 5 minute job.
* Front sprocket nut is seriously tight. Use a nice long bar and long reach 32mm socket. With bike on side stand sit on it, apply front and rear brake and use left hand to loosen the nut. It is damn tight. You could get someone to sit on the bike as said, thus enabling you to use both hands.
* I removed the old endless chain by using an angle grinder to remove the head of one rivet and then used the tool to push out the rivet.
*Endless chains (arguably better as arguably no weak spots) require removal of swing arm. Big job though.

I have learned from my mistakes and will not be making them again. In the future this will be a 30-40 minute task.

Safe riding guys.  :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Chain replacement story and tips
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2013, 12:38:34 am »
One quick tip regarding removal of the front sprocket, instead of sitting on the bike put it on the centre stand then make sure that the direction of travel of the bar you use is towards to rear of the bike / the floor. This will stop you rocking the bike of the centre stand. Also, not sure exactly if this is good advice or not, but I use the removable handle from my car jack and stuff it between the spokes of the rear wheel and rest it on the swingarm to stop it moving whilst you are undoing the front sprocket :)

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2013, 12:58:43 am »
I used an impact wrench on the front sprocket, took it straight off :D

Oh and as for removing the old chain, that just got chopped with a grinder.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2013, 06:54:15 am »
good first timers guide......that chain splitter / riviter looks a good deal for medium chains but i noticed a warning on using on 520/630 chains.......well done BLISTERREDFINGERZ and thanks for sharing  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2013, 11:34:13 am »
Blisteredfingerz - well done mate. Always worth giving it a go. I already had a chain removal tool called a hacksaw  :lol . It can be used to remove all manner of things.

Dead eye - the guy might not have a centre stand, I don't.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2013, 02:14:55 pm »
+1 for jamming a long bar through the spokes and resting it on the swingarm. I always use a length of 2x2 wood though as it will not scratch the finish on the wheel or arm. Alternatively, wrap your jack handle in an old sweatshirt 1st.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2013, 02:30:59 pm »
Dead eye - the guy might not have a centre stand, I don't.

Ah, hadn't considered that, force of habit to assume they all have one :P

Blisteredfingerz

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2013, 03:28:03 pm »
Cheers for the feedback, tips and comments guys, much appreciated.  :)

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2013, 04:39:28 pm »
I dont have a center srand. I use axle stands. Just put the bike on the sidestand, lean it over even further onto the sidestand to slip one axle stand under the frame then push the bike the other way so the weight is on the axlestand so you can slide the second axlestand underneath the frame. Simple.

FZS600

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - XJR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2015, 12:49:01 am »
One quick tip regarding removal of the front sprocket, instead of sitting on the bike put it on the centre stand then make sure that the direction of travel of the bar you use is towards to rear of the bike / the floor. This will stop you rocking the bike of the centre stand. Also, not sure exactly if this is good advice or not, but I use the removable handle from my car jack and stuff it between the spokes of the rear wheel and rest it on the swingarm to stop it moving whilst you are undoing the front sprocket :)

Great tip that worked for me :-) .

My 750mm breaking bar was flexing trying to undo the front sprocket nut. In a final attempt, I dowsed the nut in WD40 and left it overnight. I didn't use an impact driver as my 32mm socket is not an impact one.

I wrapped a towel around my car jack handle and used it to lock the rear wheel.

I don't think I've heard a crack as loud as the one I heard and thought my 32mm socket had broken! Fortunately, it was a good quality Draper socket. Anyway, it was the nut that had finally moved! :-) .