Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:55 am

Author Topic: TPS ajustment with aftermarket speedo  (Read 388 times)

ben

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
TPS ajustment with aftermarket speedo
« on: 05 July 2023, 02:46:22 pm »
Hi all!

I've got a poorly, misfiring, Fazer at the moment. Looking to do all the usual checks (plugs, caps, leads, coils, carb balance, etc). I'd also like to check the TPS but there is a problem... There is in aftermarket speedo/tacho unit on the bike which means I can't see any error codes, or any info from the TPS configuration mode.

Can the TPS setting become invalid after time? I took the carbs off, to give them a bit of a clean, but left the TPS on and didn't touch it. Assumed that it would be fine. The bike was working fine once, which means it was set correctly and hasn't been reset since. Is it likely that the TPS will need adjustment?

If so, can it be done with a multimeter? I've checked that the resistance is in range. And checked the varience in resistance when the throttle is open/closed. All is fine.

Trebus

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: TPS ajustment with aftermarket speedo
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2023, 10:35:03 pm »

ben

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: TPS ajustment with aftermarket speedo
« Reply #2 on: 06 July 2023, 10:13:52 am »
I had a read of that one, and unless I've missed something (which is entirely possible), it's talking about making sure that the TPS isn't buggered by checking the max resistance, and variance in resistance when the throttle is open/closed. I've already done this and the TPS is definitely still good. I just have no way of telling if it's set correctly, due to the aftermarket clocks.
In the Haynes manual (which is for the Fazer and the Thundercat), it explans how to set the TPS on the Thundercat using a multimeter: You find the max resistance, then set the min resistance (when the throttle is closed) to 0.116 x max resistance. Does anyone know if this will work for the Fazer?