Date: 27-04-24  Time: 11:08 am

Author Topic: Whoever posts last is best  (Read 151232 times)

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Whoever posts last is best
« Reply #1325 on: 23 October 2023, 09:07:00 am »
Oh well,with plenty of work at least you'll have your gas bill sorted. :lol

I was thinking of more bits for the garage lol.  :rollin :rollin :rollin
Nice :thumbup , you can’t have enough bits in the garage. If I won the lottery, the Snap On truck would be a regular visitor.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: 23 October 2023, 09:58:47 am »
Oh well,with plenty of work at least you'll have your gas bill sorted. :lol

I was thinking of more bits for the garage lol.  :rollin :rollin :rollin
Nice :thumbup , you can’t have enough bits in the garage. If I won the lottery, the Snap On truck would be a regular visitor.

For me, Snap On have lost the plot. The quality of tools and support have dropped considerably over the last twenty years or so. I had heard that they have bought up any competition, put their brand mark on it and then sell an inferior tool at Snap On prices! I always have to laugh - any tools which are utilised a lot (spanners, pliers, sockets etc) are expensive, but occasionally you used to get a bargain (gasket punch set £11!). However, I am still using Snap On tools I purchased in the 80's - but I am anal about keeping them clean and in working order.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #1327 on: 23 October 2023, 11:15:52 am »
I still have 2 sets of 1/4" imperial sockets I bought from Snap-on around 1985 as an apprentice. I dont use them much and any new stuff i buy tends to be Halfords professional stuff that has a lifetime guarantee too.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: 23 October 2023, 05:57:22 pm »
Without a doubt for the home diyer, Halfords Pro range is more than good enough. Kamasa made some good tools when they were made in Japan, also Gedore(German I think) was my first Whitworth/AF socket set. Can’t help being impressed though, by huge roll cabs stacked full with Snap On tools, even if just to look at :lol .
I expect, like most things, that quality and longevity are not available and maybe not required anymore in a chuck away society. That’s no doubt what will happen to my stuff that’s for sure. :'(

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: 25 October 2023, 09:41:41 am »
I still have 2 sets of 1/4" imperial sockets I bought from Snap-on around 1985 as an apprentice. I dont use them much and any new stuff i buy tends to be Halfords professional stuff that has a lifetime guarantee too.

At the end of the day - in most towns & city's you have a choice of Halfords or Machine Mart. Both sell quality kit, Halfords Pro is better than Clarke/Draper etc. For intermittent use though Aldi can beat everyone hands down  :rollin :rollin :rollin

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: 25 October 2023, 08:10:05 pm »
When I quit working in 2015, I bro8ught home all of my personal tools, 48 years worth. I had nowhere to put them in the garage, so I bought a Halfords tool cupboard (6 drawers) and a top box to go on it (6 drawers). The drawers are all full. Kamasa socket set bought in 1970, a few remnants from spanner sets of the past - Britool/Geodore/Kennedy, all the stuff we made as apprentices, scribing blocks, vee blocks, toolmakers clamps etc, countless Allen keys, plus bearing pullers, hole punch sets etc etc etc. Ive managed to sell some of the measuring equipment recently, micrometres, morse taper sleeves, drill sets, precision squares. My 4 year old grandson loves it, hes straight in the garage and getting stuff out and Im chuffed to bits that he knows what a tool is called what it does, and how to use it (under close supervision)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: 30 October 2023, 10:18:04 am »
When I quit working in 2015, I bro8ught home all of my personal tools, 48 years worth. I had nowhere to put them in the garage, so I bought a Halfords tool cupboard (6 drawers) and a top box to go on it (6 drawers). The drawers are all full. Kamasa socket set bought in 1970, a few remnants from spanner sets of the past - Britool/Geodore/Kennedy, all the stuff we made as apprentices, scribing blocks, vee blocks, toolmakers clamps etc, countless Allen keys, plus bearing pullers, hole punch sets etc etc etc. Ive managed to sell some of the measuring equipment recently, micrometres, morse taper sleeves, drill sets, precision squares. My 4 year old grandson loves it, hes straight in the garage and getting stuff out and Im chuffed to bits that he knows what a tool is called what it does, and how to use it (under close supervision)

That's brilliant.

agricola

• GP Hero
  • Man on a mission
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: 30 October 2023, 06:35:17 pm »
I'll have to relocate the knives and chisels soon, somewhere well out of reach

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: 31 October 2023, 10:41:05 am »
Tatts as well…love it :thumbup :lol

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: 31 October 2023, 11:12:49 am »
I'll have to relocate the knives and chisels soon, somewhere well out of reach

Haha - my Granddaughter likes to visit the workshop, hasn't started to open drawers yet. My Grandson isn't allowed in the vicinity of any tools - he thinks everything is either a hammer or needs a hammer  :lol

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #1335 on: 31 October 2023, 08:16:23 pm »
Sounds like a born engineer  :rollin

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: 01 November 2023, 04:23:22 pm »
Coming to a dealership near you :lol .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: 04 November 2023, 06:48:15 pm »
If he shows interest, I'll start with measuring and marking (where to hit)  :lol :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: 04 November 2023, 07:07:54 pm »
If he shows interest, I'll start with measuring and marking (where to hit)  :lol :lol
Middle of the tank seems quite a favourite with bike dealerships. That’s what gets a lot of bike owners into diy maintenance, as they are quite capable of over tightening the chain and putting a scratch in the tank themselves, without the added expense. :)

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: 14 November 2023, 09:03:00 am »
Middle of the tank seems quite a favourite with bike dealerships. That’s what gets a lot of bike owners into diy maintenance, as they are quite capable of over tightening the chain and putting a scratch in the tank themselves, without the added expense. :)

LOL, I never used dealers for anything, always read the book, spoke to mates and then carried out the task. In 2012, I bought a FJR1300 and it came to MOT time. It needed a pair of tyres. Whilst viewing the work being carried out and a dealer in Cheltenham, I noticed the mechanic/technician/butcher using a breaker bar to tighten the rear wheel axle nut. Most shaft drive bikes don't like that as it overloads any preloads on the drive gear. Anyhow, it came time to settle up and when asked, the guy claimed he was using a torque wrench, however when i asked how much torque was applied he couldn't answer. My one and only experience with manufacturer specific dealers.  :rolleyes :rolleyes [size=78%] [/size]

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: 17 November 2023, 11:39:26 am »
I must admit that despite other people’s horror stories, my experiences have been relatively ok with main dealers, with only a gouged rear hub after a chain and sprocket change at a Triumph dealer springing to mind. The wheel was exchanged without any fuss I hasten to add. My less favourable experiences have all been with tyre fitting companies in the 90’s, and have since had tyres fitted to loose wheels ever since.

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: 20 November 2023, 08:50:57 am »
Haha yes, tyre fitting companies. Don't get me started on that one.......

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: 22 November 2023, 07:38:01 pm »
Haha yes, tyre fitting companies. Don't get me started on that one.......
Seems there’s always a tyre fitting horror  :eek story in most bikers experiences, usually in their top three.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: 23 November 2023, 01:02:58 am »
Can't say I've ever had a tyre fitting horror story, I go to Russ Tyres in Portsmouth and even though he's now retired, the guy who's taken over is just as good :thumbup

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: 23 November 2023, 09:06:43 am »
At least two of my tyre fitting experiences were down to lack of knowledge on the part of the fitter - and both times it was on the same machine (Suzuki GS650GT), which due to notoriously porous cast wheels, I had tubes in. Both times (one in a car tyre place and the other in a motorcycle repair garage), the fitters removed the tubes, threw them away and fitted the tubeless tyres to the rims. Then they wondered why I came back the next day asking for my tubes to be refitted. At each event, neither fitter asked why the tubes were there and did I want them refitted.
  :eek

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: 23 November 2023, 11:55:31 am »
Yeesh! Ok, that's really not encouraging...   :eek

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: 24 November 2023, 09:31:37 am »
The longer you’ve been at this motorcycling game, the more experiences, good or bad, you’re bound to have. Meeting great people must be one of my top positives. :thumbup

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: 24 November 2023, 12:21:39 pm »
I once coined the expression "Talking biker bollocks" for those conversations between riders which tend to be a long list of anecdotes about good rides they've had and idiots they've encountered on the roads!  :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: 27 November 2023, 03:54:51 pm »
I once coined the expression "Talking biker bollocks" for those conversations between riders which tend to be a long list of anecdotes about good rides they've had and idiots they've encountered on the roads!  :lol
And some talk a load more of it than others :lol . When the bullshit starts flying, it’s time to go, or failing that, invent a few place names or events, and they’ll agree they’ve been there or attended the event. Priceless :) .

fazerscotty

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: 28 November 2023, 09:08:18 am »
And some talk a load more of it than others :lol . When the bullshit starts flying, it’s time to go, or failing that, invent a few place names or events, and they’ll agree they’ve been there or attended the event. Priceless :) .

Hahaha yes, like it....  :rollin :rollin :rollin