Date: 01-05-24  Time: 16:53 pm

Author Topic: midlife career changes  (Read 3497 times)

sc0ttie

• Weekend Warrior
  • returned to bikes in 2015 after a 10 year break
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
midlife career changes
« on: 04 February 2016, 10:25:54 pm »
Anyone ever done it? I am getting sick of open plan office's and computers. I feel like I need to be in a workshop somewhere, doing restoration work or creating things. It's probably my midlife crisis knocking but I just wonder if the grass is really greener or just a different kind of stress?

downey

• WSB Pack Hound
  • loving the new ivanised beast
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: midlife career changes
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2016, 11:43:54 pm »
i suppose it comes down to what bills you got mate.if your good enough at that type of work ,prob best to start on a pert time basis ,,see how it goes ,just my 2 cents
please god let the sun keep shining

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2016, 06:57:19 am »
That's always been my worry about stuff like this, money, oh and I've not really got big enough balls for something like this.  I wish I was more of a risk taker in life, there has to be more to life than fixing PCs  :\

If I ever won the lottery I would probably open a campsite somewhere.  It wouldn't make me rich but I think I would be happy  :)
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2016, 08:13:18 am »
Unfortunately it's all about the money for a lot of us. I work to support my family first, anything extra that allows me to do what I want with my free time is a bonus. Oh and beer helps.  :rollin :rollin :rollin
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Freck

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Triumph Daytona 955, BMW R9T
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2016, 10:54:21 am »
I'm an industrial electrician by trade and had been happily doing this sort of work for almost 20 years when I found that I would be being made redundant imminently, about 10 years ago.
Luckily I managed to find a good job just a month before I would have been laid off but it was in a completely different job, the aircraft industry.
Sure, it was still engineering but I'd never had any experience of any of the stuff I was going to be working on so it was a pretty steep learning curve.

I missed out on redundancy money by leaving my old job before I was pushed but it was the best move I've ever made. I now provide technical support and testing services on military jet aircraft and travel around the world regularly supporting the RAF and our other customers.
I even met my fiancĂ©e at work (who's also now my boss!  :eek )

So yes, the grass can be greener. I was forced into making a move and was lucky, but if you do it through choice then you'll have more time to find what's right for you. Good luck.  :)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2016, 02:49:21 pm »
Unfortunately it's all about the money for a lot of us. I work to support my family first, anything extra that allows me to do what I want with my free time is a bonus. Oh and beer helps.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Agreed. It just so happens that my mid-life coincides with my wife getting pregnant just after being made redundant. Two years on and I've got to face up to being stuck in the same factory doing the same shit year after year for the forseeable future.
And by the time my daughter is out of college/uni/whatever I'll be just about retiring.  :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 06 February 2016, 06:51:12 am by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2016, 03:55:20 pm »

Agreed. It just so happens that my mid-life coincides with my wife getting pregnant just after being made redundant. Two years on and I've got to face up to being stuck in the same factory doing the same shit year after year for the forseeable future.
And by the time my daughter is out of college/uni/whatever I'll be just about retiring.  :rolleyes

I hear you Fella and I feel your pain . . . It's a funny old world, I've more or less accepted that I'm not going to see much of my pension, just as long as I can do my best by my kids  :\
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2016, 04:25:32 pm »
Yeah, I've done it, and might be doing it again later this year.

Did just short of 8 years in the RAF as an Air Communications technician, but got invalided out after a nasty motorcycle accident. Fought with all kinds of physical and psychological limitations for 6 years after that before finally getting a job in the parts/accessories/clothing dept. of a local bike dealer, then did about 7 or 8 years just moving from dealer to dealer, more for a change of scenery and pay increases that came with each move than anything else.

Then out of work for a couple of years again, until getting a job in the returns dept. at Oxford Products. Did that for a while, with about a year's break to go off backpacking for a year or so, and now out of work again while I sort a house (done), another bike (done), and a nice big Euro tour on the bike (not done...yet). Then it will be back to finding something else to do for a living again. Got a couple of ideas, nothing spectacular, but if I can land a job working with people I get along with, that'll do.

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2016, 04:58:53 pm »
Returns dept @ Oxford products???? Fuck u musta been so busy lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2016, 10:38:17 pm »
go on a bricklaying course it,s a good laugh with the lad,s.       you see your end product  :) and its easy money,  I was a sales rep made redundant,   moved on it,s the best thing I ever done life is to short,  I enjoy work it,s a laugh. ;)
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2016, 10:59:34 am »
Anyone ever done it? I am getting sick of open plan office's and computers. I feel like I need to be in a workshop somewhere, doing restoration work or creating things. It's probably my midlife crisis knocking but I just wonder if the grass is really greener or just a different kind of stress?

Having worked for almost 15 years in IT, started doing 2nd job as a bicycle mechanic last spring. If it paid better, I'd open my own bicycle repair shop.

I also like changing jobs every 6 years. So I say go for it. The only thing you could regret is not having tried for yourself.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2016, 11:18:57 am »
go on a bricklaying course it,s a good laugh with the lad,s.       you see your end product  :) and its easy money,  I was a sales rep made redundant,   moved on it,s the best thing I ever done life is to short,  I enjoy work it,s a laugh. ;)

Finally, a constructive comment  ;)
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2016, 11:28:22 am »
Its funny isn't it - no one is talking about getting rich in a megga paid job but just searching for a little satisfaction out of life, maybe that's why we have fazers, not expensive, but lots of satisfaction. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #13 on: 17 February 2016, 12:55:48 am »
A close friend that I've known since school inspired me to get my finger out.

He was a chef from about 18 til he was 33 or so. He got fed up working late, and his wife was expecting number 2. He went on one of those GasSafe courses for 9 months and gained his certificates and full gas engineering qualifications. He went on to start his own business, having to beg, borrow and steal for the first two years to make it work.

Five years down the road and he's employed staff, earns well in to SIX figures and just bought a beautiful 5 bedroom house to accommodate baby number 3, or 4, I dunno. Loads of kids anyway.

He's a hard worker and as honest as the day is long. I love him for that and it pushed me on to start my own sound installation business, because I'm a qualified sound engineer and I wasn't even close to using it to my potential. I'm only just starting my journey and am currently on my first job. It's quite exciting really, and you know what? I'm happy at my work.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...