Date: 17-05-24  Time: 13:33 pm

Author Topic: Overfilled oil on fazer 1000?  (Read 3070 times)

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Overfilled oil on fazer 1000?
« on: 23 May 2015, 10:14:50 pm »
Hi Guys,[/size]Looking for some help here!I did a bit of servicing to my Fazer 1000 today and put in new spark plugs, changed air filter and oil and oil filter.Changing oil I tried to measure accurately amount of oil needed but now presume I could've overfilled it. When I started the engine the oil started coming out from a hole on top of the engine just between spark plugs where a kind of hose is located. This hose does not close this hole completely but there is a small gap.I can drain a bit of oil but what about this oil coming from top of the engine? Will it come down or how to get rid of it?Thanks for the help!Paul

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Overfilled oil on fazer 1000?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2015, 10:56:43 pm »
translation:

Quote from: krezi
Hi Guys,

Looking for some help here!I did a bit of servicing to my Fazer 1000 today and put in new spark plugs, changed air filter and oil and oil filter.Changing oil I tried to measure accurately amount of oil needed but now presume I could've overfilled it. When I started the engine the oil started coming out from a hole on top of the engine just between spark plugs where a kind of hose is located. This hose does not close this hole completely but there is a small gap.I can drain a bit of oil but what about this oil coming from top of the engine?

Will it come down or how to get rid of it?Thanks for the help!Paul

where is the oil in the sight glass window on the side of the engine? is it full all the way to the top or not?
« Last Edit: 23 May 2015, 10:58:02 pm by mickvp »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2015, 06:34:35 am »
Unless you're a complete numpty, hard to see how you could have accurately measured but still over-filled the oil.

Is it possible you disturbed this hose you've mentioned with the spark plug wrench?  It doesn't make sense for a hose not to completely close a hole, as you described it.

Maybe a photo would help us understand better?

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2015, 10:01:33 am »
Unless you're a complete numpty, hard to see how you could have accurately measured but still over-filled the oil.

Is it possible you disturbed this hose you've mentioned with the spark plug wrench?  It doesn't make sense for a hose not to completely close a hole, as you described it.

Maybe a photo would help us understand better?

Exactly I was very meticulous with the amount I put in so I think I did it right- just assumed I overfilled since the oil was coming out.. All looks ok quantity wise (see first pic below)... The second picture is the hole where the oil is coming from I referred to before. There is this piping coming from the hole and there is a gap around the hose but that's ok I think. I sticked my finger inside this hole and oil mixed with water sits inside. It's not as dense as oil alone, maybe it's the water from undone clip coming inside and getting this kind of oil water mixture?? The hose is securely fastened there is no movement whatsoever. I had some issues removing spark plugs which is close by to the hose but don't think I messed up there since the hose is very secure. I forgot to tighten the little clip where the hoses are coming together overlapping each other. Maybe that's it? If this hose carries oil which I don't think it does the undone clip could have cause the oil there.

Also the first thing I replaced was air filter. When removing fuel tank is it possible that if I bent the fuel hoses and others coming from the tank in this area this could cause the leak?? I doubt it as those are two separate areas.

THanks a mill!

See the hole I referred to and the metal clip I forgot to tighten. When I put my fingers inside I can feel oil/water sitting there Could it be it?? 

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2015, 10:40:31 am »
The oil level if anything is to low and the bike does not appear to be on level ground. On the right side of the sight glass there are two raised dots the top one is the max oil level and the bottom one is the low oil level.

Bike must be on the centre stand and on level ground to check the oil and fill it to the top dot.

The hose you refer to is a coolant hose and the large hole is to facilitate bolting the pipe the hose is on to the head.

You may have knocked the pipe out of alignment when removing the plugs and it is now leaking coolant.

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2015, 11:23:58 am »
if your bike is on the centre stand , it's too low on the sight glass . If it's on the side stand , it's too high .

Krezi

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2015, 11:49:23 am »
thanks guys!

Problem solved! It was the bloody metal clip... No leak now but coolant is on low side so will add a bit as well as oil top up as it was on centre stand

Paul